Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Unhappy Yet another reason to drive safely on the street...

A teenager made this video after driving recklessly and crashing his SRT-4. Some images are graphic, but all are 'work safe'.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

Be safe out there!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
boo freaking hoo. Drive like an idiot and you end up like that, I don't feel sorry for him at all. I'm just glad he didn't run into somebody else with a family.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
I mean wth did he think was going to happen?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Drive like an idiot, and dumb sh*t happens. Thank god he didn't wipe out anyone else. From the looks of the marks he was going more than "a little fast" With an SRT/4 he was probably running around 120-130mph. Not that I haven't ever done that, I was young & dumb once myself. Just lucky enough to escape (somewhat) intact.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I feel bad for the guy that he got injured that badly. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of pain and what not for an accident. However, that doesn't nullify the fact that drove poorly and nearly killed himself and possibly others.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Anyone know what song that was?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
hard not to comment on something that has HUGE personal opinions. to keep this clean and simple, When I drive I take myself and people around me into account. He is lucky he was alone in the car and that he didn't hurt others.

On another note. You need to start asking car companies why they are making such powerful cars that CAN reach high speeds so quickly? More importantly why would you make a NEON that can do this? They are unsafe with 80hp and deadly w/ 300. Sorry that kind of power is reserved for cars that are able to handle it well at high speeds. The wrx falls in this same category. its not just the driver's fault... the company making these tin cans need to be held liable for their rolling garbage cans that reach the 150mph club

Tom
Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
the company making these tin cans need to be held liable for their rolling garbage cans that reach the 150mph club

Tom
Bites lip.....
I disagree, but respect your opinion.
Current Stable By Age:
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Bites lip.....
I disagree, but respect your opinion.

Please voice your opinion as I really want to hear what others have to say. I am open minded and am not trying to start an argument but merely want to hear what you have to say.

Furthermore I am not saying the companies should be legally held liable for poor decision making of the boy in this topic. I am saying that maybe someone should pick up on this and impliment a speed limiter on models that may cause this mayhem. Just a thought

Tom,
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Automakers are constantly "bashed" for not building an exciting product. Granted the standard Neon is a crapbox, but the SRT/4 is an EXCITING car. As is the WRX STI. Automakers have no more responsibility in how their products are used than weapons MFG's.

IMHO I believe there needs to be a better driver's education system in place in the USA. Here in the us, a person can literally get their license with ZERO experience behind the wheel, except for the driving test. A lot of the wrecks involving teens & Hi-Po cars are a lack of experience, and parents with more money than brains. Who gives their teenager, no matter how responsible, a top line performance car as their first car? The SRT/4 is a competent car in all respects, in the right hands it COULD hand a stock SVX it's hat. As could a stock WRX STI.

We can't jump up & blame the product for misuse. A Geo Metro, capable of 90 MPH is just as deadly as a Lamborghini Murcealago capable of 200. Unless a wheel falls of a car less than a few hours old, most every other accident can be attributed to driver error.

My opinion, I stand behind it, but I won't try to make anyone else believe it.

Product liability is a sore spot with me.
Current Stable By Age:

Last edited by crazyhorse; 09-25-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Please voice your opinion as I really want to hear what others have to say. I am open minded and am not trying to start an argument but merely want to hear what you have to say.

Furthermore I am not saying the companies should be legally held liable for poor decision making of the boy in this topic. I am saying that maybe someone should pick up on this and impliment a speed limiter on models that may cause this mayhem. Just a thought

Tom,
I definitely agree with both of you. I think Chrysler knows who they're marketing these cars out to, and they're not people over the age of 30. If anything they should put a limiter switch on it like a "track mode" that lets you go over 90 or something and then disables when it detects you're not going on a straightaway anymore.

But then again I think that companies are just looking to profit off the street racing/drifting/fast and the furious scene and it is now a part of our generation's culture.

Maybe another solution would be to create a more rigorous road test or licensing in order to drive these high performance cars.

I think the issue really is people don't know their limits nor the vehicle's limits. As much as my father wasn't particularly happy hearing that I was going to local parking lots to do donuts and mess around in freshly powdered snow it really taught me the limits of the SVX and the behavior.

I guess my real point is that mixing very powerful machinery with little or no experience is another problem at hand here, and that's what should be fixed as well.
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 09-25-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
I guess my real point is that mixing very powerful machinery with little or no experience is another problem at hand here, and that's what should be fixed as well.

Thank you, you boiled my post down to it's bare esentials with this one line.
Current Stable By Age:
Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Maniac modifier

the driver registration for Hi performance cars is a very legitimate argument. Many people have heard me say that my driving changed drastically after just one day at Pocono with an open mind. I learned a lot and I definitely had a lot of bad habits that I learned about and learned to correct. Maybe a track day or two should be required before a special license needs to be issued. Either way it is not financially feasible through a state so it would have to be a federal requirement which is funded by the federal gov't. Such is unlikely so expect to see more idiots out there

Tom
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Although I like the thought of my "track mode" inhibitor switch the best
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
You know what they say about hindsight. I have no sympathy here. I have done many dangerous things that I may or may not regret, and I have learned not to do dangerous things (as much), but if you can't see an accident coming you have no business being behind a wheel.

Today I was in a rather interesting position, driving my work truck along a winding 2 lane backroad, in heavy rain. A HUGE semi pulling a trailer was speeding (for the conditions, as was I) around a bend, veering widely into my lane. Had I been 3 seconds earlier I believe there would be a high potential for me to be crushed in a crumply white tin box in a ditch right now. I understand the semi needs a great deal of space so my reaction was to pull right just slightly to near-miss him by about 3 or 4 feet, about 3 or 4 feet away from woody ditch on my right. A hard brake could have caused me to lose control completely. My point is, some people are cut out to make split-second life-altering decisions at high speed, some people are not.
It is important to find out if you are before you attempt to operate a vehicle at any one of it's many limits.

Later on down that very road I was not surprised to find a small car nose first and crumpled in that winding ditch, and now the season of ice is soon upon us. Accidents are on the rise, and my life as a driver is on the line yet again. How exciting.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-25-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: