How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 01:47 PM

Replacing the Starter Solenoid

Does anyone have any idea how to repair or replace the starter solenoid. I spoke with a Suby rep over the phone, but he didn't know what I was talking about. My car starts, but sometimes you'll have to click it 2-4 times to get it to turn on. I'm selling the car, and the buyer already knows about it, but if I can fix it for cheap before it leaves me, I wouldn't mind doing it.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtacy
Does anyone have any idea how to repair or replace the starter solenoid. I spoke with a Suby rep over the phone, but he didn't know what I was talking about. My car starts, but sometimes you'll have to click it 2-4 times to get it to turn on. I'm selling the car, and the buyer already knows about it, but if I can fix it for cheap before it leaves me, I wouldn't mind doing it.
Hi, I doubt that you can get the solenoid separate from the starter motor.

It may just be, not enough current getting to the solenoid. You can fix this cheaply by fitting a relay to it. See here\
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...solenoid+relay

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 PM

It's probably not your starter or the solenoid - It's more than likely the ignition switch. Go here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...security+bolts

To be clear, it's not the ignition switch lock cylinder - the switch attaches to the back and costs around $50. Swapping out the switch lets you keep the cylinder and all of yoour current keys. There are two security bolts that need to be removed and can be a bear. The link will take you to a great posting with pics. I swapped my cylinder and the problem went away, never to return.

The relay mod, albeit popular and effective, is a band-aid. A new switch is the cure. You might feel more comfortable swapping the switch than you pulling wires and installing a relay.

Good luck! Either fix will work.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 PM

lol, you're right. Wires scare me. Thank you both for responding, I'm going to the Suby dealer on monday to order the switch.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I haven't changed the SVX starter solenoid but I had to replace the physically damaged solenoid on the WRX starter I installed with my 5 spd.