Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-01-2002, 01:28 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
SVX Sighting - In My Driveway

Yes, it's here. My quarter year quest has ended
I am now the owner of a 1992 Black (well it will be after it's washed lol) SVX LS-L.

Anyways, I've only found a couple minor problems with the car so far. The first is the seatbelt. It's got the automatic shoulder belts. The passenger side seems to work fine, but if I turn off the car before opening the door on the driver side, the belt doesn't retract, and I have to turn the key to "On" before it will.

The other thing is that the hood doesn't stay open. I remember reading a couple months ago about the hydraulics going bad, but I was unable to find that post. Is there an easy fix for this?
Old 04-01-2002, 01:33 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Oh, and another question I had is more out of curiosity. The VIN # on my car ends with 107999. What does that mean as far as its production number? It was manufactured in 12/91.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:06 PM

glad the wait is finially over. i wish you luck with your car. i can't help ya with the problems, but i just wanted to say congrats!

Kelli
Old 04-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix96
Oh, and another question I had is more out of curiosity. The VIN # on my car ends with 107999. What does that mean as far as its production number? It was manufactured in 12/91.
Congratulations, Andrew! Go to Lwin's (Seraph's) personal locker for a VIN decoder chart.

There is no real "easy" fix for the hood struts, other than replacing them, or, using a broom handle as a prop. There are some little "clicky" things available at some autoparts and JC Whitney stores that serve as a prop for the struts (JC Whitney #13ZZ4688T)

The seat belt problem could be caused by a sensor. Try cleaning the tracks, and spritzing just a little WD 40 in the area where the belt comes to a rest. There's a sensor that sometimes acts up. If that doesn't work, take the trim piece off the window and manually clean the area. That might help.

Again, Andrew, Congratulations.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-01-2002, 02:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Congrats, Andrew - I wish you many thousands of happy miles in your SVX.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: SVX Sighting - In My Driveway

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix96
Yes, it's here. My quarter year quest has ended
I am now the owner of a 1992 Black (well it will be after it's washed lol) SVX LS-L.

Anyways, I've only found a couple minor problems with the car so far. The first is the seatbelt. It's got the automatic shoulder belts. The passenger side seems to work fine, but if I turn off the car before opening the door on the driver side, the belt doesn't retract, and I have to turn the key to "On" before it will.

The other thing is that the hood doesn't stay open. I remember reading a couple months ago about the hydraulics going bad, but I was unable to find that post. Is there an easy fix for this?
BIGGGG congrats!!!

-Mike
Old 04-01-2002, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Welcome Andrew!

Mine was also built 12/91 and last 6 of VIN are 108085, just a few away. Hope you enjoy your new (to you) car!

Todd
Old 04-01-2002, 06:22 PM
SoCal SVXer

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. I'm definitely excited, since this is the first car that is really mine

I jiggled the seat belt around a little bit and it started moving by itself, so I'll probably try Randy's suggestion. I did notice one other problem, the power antenna doesn't go down all the way. It extends fine and the radio reception is great, but when it retracts there are 5 inches left sticking out. I tried pushing it a bit to help it along but it feels stuck.

I have to say, although I've only driven the car 10 miles and no faster than 55mph, it is very smooth shifting. In my Outback I can feel a pretty noticeable thud at each shift, but in the SVX I didn't feel anything. It seemed to accelerate fine and, boy, is it hard to keep it under 40
The steering has a very different feel from the Outback, though. Much more power-assisted.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:07 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
I did notice one other problem, the power antenna doesn't go down all the way. It extends fine and the radio reception is great, but when it retracts there are 5 inches left sticking out. I tried pushing it a bit to help it along but it feels stuck.

Squirt some WD40 on it & see what happens. Cured mine. Best of luck with everything else.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:54 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I did notice one other problem, the power antenna doesn't go down all the way. It extends fine and the radio reception is great, but when it retracts there are 5 inches left sticking out. I tried pushing it a bit to help it along but it feels stuck.

Squirt some WD40 on it & see what happens. Cured mine. Best of luck with everything else.

Ron.

Extend the mast fully, then, take a rag and cup it around the mast to shield the car from overspray, then, spray the mast down with WD-40. Wipe it down until you've gotten all the black gunk off the mast joints. After that, I put a couple of drops of 3-in-1 on each of the mast joints, lower the antenna and wipe off excess around the top button. That should keep it going for some time. If you don't have 3-in-1, just keep the rag cupped around the mast to shield from overspray and spray each of the joints with WD-40, lower it and wipe off the excess.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI