Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2002, 04:17 PM

Swirl marks and fine scratches.

OK. PLEASE DON'T SHOOT!! This will be my last question for a while. Just wondering what people do to get out fine scratches and swirl marks on their paint caused by improper washing. I'm currently using Medallion premium paint cleaner followed by meguiars polish and wax. It works temporarily, but as soon as it wears off, scrathces reappear.

Dave
Old 03-28-2002, 04:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Don't shoot? Huh?

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this, too. My mom parks her SVX under a carport, but it's only in the shade completely at high noon. So she bought a cover from subaruparts.com. Unfortunately, the wind kicks up sand, which gets under the cover. When the cover gets blown around with the sand in it, big swirls are left all over. Looks positively weird in the sun.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-28-2002, 05:05 PM
double0bondo

Talking newbie to the rescue

i own a body shop, this is quit common, immpropper washing is the prob, as you stated... the polish you put on is a temp fix, until it wases off, just like you said!! your car will need to be compound buffed, and then hit with a finishing polish, i use 3M products, they are great,, after you have buffed it, put wax on it and keep it up, it will help it stay smooth, but acually, this is only temperary too!!! the very next time you wash it with a dirty mit, youll be back at step one.. try to rinse the car as good as possible before you even think about touching a wash mit to it, and of course, NEVER use the same wash mit that washes the lowers on the car, or the wheels and tires, if you are truly anal like me, buy a new mit everytime, its worth the loot, IMHO, any more questions, let me know, good luck!!! Mike(Wreckamended AutoBoby)
Old 03-28-2002, 06:34 PM
dart

Re: Swirl marks and fine scratches.

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
OK. PLEASE DON'T SHOOT!! This will be my last question for a while. Just wondering what people do to get out fine scratches and swirl marks on their paint caused by improper washing. I'm currently using Medallion premium paint cleaner followed by meguiars polish and wax. It works temporarily, but as soon as it wears off, scrathces reappear.

Dave
Had some fairly deep swirl marks in a 2'X2' area on the hood of the '92 Pearl. I used 3M Scratch Remover (rubbing compound) then waxed the whole car with Zymol Cleaner/Wax. The Zymol is great stuff. I got it at Meijers. If no Meijers near you its at W**mart or do a search online.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:37 PM

Thanks. I'll try the 3m compound as you guys recomended and follow it with polish and wax. Hopefully this will work better and last longer than the paint cleaner I'm currently using. Though I really should be more carefull about washing the lower parts of the car and then using the same mit again. Thanks for bringing that up Mike.
Dave.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 03-28-2002 at 11:43 PM.