How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-27-2002, 04:34 AM
ironsvx

Unhappy sad news re Jr's svx

A long narrative that ends up sadly (not tragically; no one died but our 92 claret). I bought my son an svx ($5200) on E-bay back in December; an uncharactersistic gamble for me. It was advertyised with recently rebuilt transmission. It was great driving it back although smoking a little in Virginia (on the way back to Georgia) Had some seals replaced ($600) but all seemed ok (slight ATF leak) Two weeks ago would not go into first. Ok had the tranny rebuilt ($1500) by a trusted friend who played football on a team I coached back in the 80's. One week later no first gear again, same symptoms as before. My friend says rebuilding the transmission is not the answer but a remanufactured tranny from Subaru may do the trick ($4400). I cannot hack it so the SVX goes into storage until I win the lottery and I am looking for a new car for Jr. My friend is refunding my $1500 from the rebuild. What a tale of woe. I love the car; why can't it just work? See you fellas later. If anyone has any bright ideas let me know.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: sad news re Jr's svx

Quote:
Originally posted by ironsvx
A long narrative that ends up sadly (not tragically; no one died but our 92 claret). I bought my son an svx ($5200) on E-bay back in December; an uncharactersistic gamble for me. It was advertyised with recently rebuilt transmission. It was great driving it back although smoking a little in Virginia (on the way back to Georgia) Had some seals replaced ($600) but all seemed ok (slight ATF leak) Two weeks ago would not go into first. Ok had the tranny rebuilt ($1500) by a trusted friend who played football on a team I coached back in the 80's. One week later no first gear again, same symptoms as before. My friend says rebuilding the transmission is not the answer but a remanufactured tranny from Subaru may do the trick ($4400). I cannot hack it so the SVX goes into storage until I win the lottery and I am looking for a new car for Jr. My friend is refunding my $1500 from the rebuild. What a tale of woe. I love the car; why can't it just work? See you fellas later. If anyone has any bright ideas let me know.
My only bright idea is that a remanufactured transmission from Subaru shouldn't cost $4400. That's insane. If you have another dealer within a reasonable range, I'd start calling.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-27-2002, 09:26 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
At my dealer, it cost 3500 including install. start calling. The trans alone was around 1800-2000. Do you want my dealer number?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: sad news re Jr's svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

My only bright idea is that a remanufactured transmission from Subaru shouldn't cost $4400. That's insane. If you have another dealer within a reasonable range, I'd start calling.
I most wholeheartedly agree! Nor should it cost almost 4,600 (the price the dealer here quoted me). Sounds like you'd be paying for his learning curve.

I, personally, am OUTRAGED every time I hear a quote for a tranny that is anywhere over 3,500.00. That, to me, is a bit on the high side, but "tolerable" in the U.S. market. When a shop in Ha-freakin'-waii quotes 2,700.00, nobody, and I mean NOBODY on the mainland has the right to quote 4,000+ prices.

I may make this whole tranny issue a personal crusade. The tranny issue has been my own personal HELL and I wouldn't wish it on someone that I truly loathe. I'd like to do something about it, either with SOA, or, by trying to pressure dealers from all over the US to be, at the very least, realistic and somewhat close to uniform in their pricing of an SVX transmission.

<Rant mode . . . stuck in high gear>
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Are you getting any error codes from the 'power' light? Could possibly be an electrical problem which would be a little cheaper to fix.

Also, most trannys seem to die with the 3&4th gears going out before anything else.

I'm betting you may need a new solenoid pack or something along those lines. I'd find a GOOD tranny shop and have them take a closer look before writing it off.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-27-2002, 05:39 PM
svxeno

Re: sad news re Jr's svx

a remanufactured tranny from Subaru may do the trick ($4400). . [/B][/QUOTE]

Tampa, FL...Reman installed for about $2700.

Randy (Knowsagoodealwhenheseesone) ii
Old 03-27-2002, 07:00 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
YOU GO RANDY!!!!
I'm right behind you!

-Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 03-27-2002, 07:19 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
A while back, I checked out the price of a Subaru reman transmission, installed, plus fluids, from Earl Duff in Harriman, TN. I recall the bottom line was around $3000, after the core allowance for an assembled transmission. Warranty was included. Harriman is about 30 min. west of Knoxville, TN. They have an 800 number if you're interested.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:51 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Re: Re: sad news re Jr's svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I may make this whole tranny issue a personal crusade. The tranny issue has been my own personal HELL and I wouldn't wish it on someone that I truly loathe. I'd like to do something about it, either with SOA, or, by trying to pressure dealers from all over the US to be, at the very least, realistic and somewhat close to uniform in their pricing of an SVX transmission.

<Rant mode . . . stuck in high gear>
If you are willing to do something about it, I would be right behind you. Also if we can do it as an "OFFICIAL" SVX network, we might have more force with the SOA and Suby Dealers.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-28-2002, 08:57 PM
ironsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
A while back, I checked out the price of a Subaru reman transmission, installed, plus fluids, from Earl Duff in Harriman, TN. I recall the bottom line was around $3000, after the core allowance for an assembled transmission. Warranty was included. Harriman is about 30 min. west of Knoxville, TN. They have an 800 number if you're interested.
I am interested in the 800 number. Do youy think I could drive the car 300 miles to Harriman without doing more damage?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 03-28-2002, 09:01 PM
ironsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevebsy
Are you getting any error codes from the 'power' light? Could possibly be an electrical problem which would be a little cheaper to fix.

Also, most trannys seem to die with the 3&4th gears going out before anything else.

I'm betting you may need a new solenoid pack or something along those lines. I'd find a GOOD tranny shop and have them take a closer look before writing it off.
No error codes. Could you explain how this electrical problem could cause tranny problem? Mechanic said that ist/ reverse clutch plate was burned out? It's all Greek to me.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:45 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:

I am interested in the 800 number. Do youy think I could drive the car 300 miles to Harriman without doing more damage?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg

Here's the number: 1-800-659-7278. Tell them I suggested you give them a call.

As far as making the drive. As I'm not a mechanic, I would hate to offer an opinion as to what might happen. However, if you're going to have the transmission replaced, I would think the main concern would be: Can I make it without it pooping out entirely? Somehow, the idea of additional damage to an already damaged transmission doesn't seem quite as crucial as not getting dumped on the side of the road.

There's a $1200 core charge for the transmission. Maybe the price you were quoted wasn't taking that into account. That would make the $4400 price tag more in line.

But give them a call, and they will be happy to give you specifics. Hope it all turns out well for you.

Don't forget the E TN meet in June - would love to have you there.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:48 AM

I just had a rebuilt put in my '92. Cost $3695 installed by dealer. I also had gotten a price from Level-ten of $3500 installed but would have had to truck it 250 miles to their shop.

Good luck
99 Acura 3.2 TL, 51K
Old 03-29-2002, 08:29 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

No error codes. Could you explain how this electrical problem could cause tranny problem? Mechanic said that ist/ reverse clutch plate was burned out? It's all Greek to me.
Generally, if you're not getting error codes, the problem is mechanical. The TCU will only deliver codes on components that are electrical.

If first and reverse are out, you could hope that you could get on the freeway and just stay there 'til you get to Harriman. Perhaps click in the manual button, which makes the car take off in 2nd gear.

As Steve mentioned, ususally, the 2-3 shift dies first, then the 3-4 is soon to follow. It's strange to have a first gear die.

My only concern with driving it any distance would be the crapping out, like Bill said, but, perhaps, if you can drive it, and it craps out within your Auto Club's towing mileage restriction, you'll be okay (that was my plan, anyway, when I was considering a trip to Harriman also ) .
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-29-2002, 10:07 AM
Lowered SVX

i paid.....

$2600 here in memphis for my remanufactured tranny from the suby dealer. you should be able to shop around and get a better deal. you can buy a rebuilt from the ground up engine from japser for $4500. (with a warranty).
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"