How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Doogie

Got my 92 back from the shop, some questions.

Got my SVX back from the shop. They did a major tune up, replaced all the fluids, changed all sorts of belts, etc. But I still get the 16 "power" flashes when I start up. Is there any reason for this?

Also I now hear a "clicking" noise whenever I rev the engine, it doesn't seem to hinder performance but I didn't hear that before I took it to the shop.

Lastly, now whenever I drive around in 3rd, it always seems to try to shift into 4th when I let my foot off the gas. And I can clearly feel the car try to shift, it is REALLY annoying, but I don't have any problems in 1st or 2nd trying to shift when I left my foot off the gas. I didn't used to have this problem before I took it to the shop either.

Oh and can anyone tell me the best way to clean the inside of the front plastic covering the lights? They're really yellow and look hideous.

Last edited by Doogie; 03-15-2002 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:51 PM

Unfortunately I can't answer most of your questions, but you might find this a little comforting. I have a relatively new tranny and whenever I drive in position 3, I get a delay in shifting into 3rd when I let off the gas. I think this is normal and I wouldn't worry about it.
Dave
Old 03-16-2002, 12:07 AM
Doogie

Well it's not so much a delay, as every 2 seconds while my foot is off the gas, it tries to shift into 4th. For example, it feels like you're in a manual transmission and you're cruising at 30mph and in 2nd gear, you push in the clutch and then pop it out again and the car kind of jerks, it does until I am completely stopped.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:55 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If you unplug the tranny resistor behind the battery and drive in 3rd it will do exactly what you are saying -blinking power light and weird shifting upshift/downshift feeling when coasting. Try plugging the resistor back in. You have to start the car twice usually to get it to reckognize the resistor and stop blinking the power light (or reset the computer and that will clear it)

The yellow on the headlights is on the outside. There are a couple ways to clear it up -the one used most here is a product called novus scratch remover. I found you can get all 3 cleaning steps from a hot -tub dealer for $12.
http://www.spadepot.com/products/005novus.htm
works great.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:17 PM
Doogie

Ok now i'm starting to get mad.

I go out to start my SVX and it didn't start, it's too cold. Keep in mind it's 40 degrees outside (not cold by my standards) and all my other families cars (Expedition, Chrysler 300M, and Nissan pickup) have all started the first time at 10 below. Also keep in mind i'm going to college this fall up in Northern Utah (Utah State University) where it is notorious for being the coldest place in the state.

I feed it all the gas it can handle and it starts up, dies, I start it up again and it finally stays up. I then get out and come inside to let it warm up for a minute, I go back outside and my seat is leaning back, I try to fix it but it won't click into any slots, and the handle thing you pull up is busted. So great, now I have a busted front seat. Not to mention the clicking is even louder then last night. The clicking sounds like when you put a card on the spokes of a bike and ride.

I'm am also extremely pissed off at the shop, for not even fully putting my car back together when it was finished. They had a piece of the inside off that was protecting the wires under the dash when I went and picked it up, and I don't know what they are thinking. And my dad is the one who has been doing all the talking with the shop and he's on a business trip and won't be back until monday night.

Oh and also they were supposed to fix the breaks, but the breaks still squeak as much as they did before I took it in.

I have an undriveable car for the weekend and i'm pissed off. I wish I knew as much about under the hood of a car as I know under the case of a computer.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Green1995SVX

My car does the clicking thing... I have an apointment to have a diagnosis done on next monday... see below thread

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=3146

-Mike
Old 03-16-2002, 01:32 PM
Boone

Got my '92 back from the shop...

The guys at the shop weren't wearing masks, were they?
Old 03-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Doogie

Re: Got my '92 back from the shop...

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
The guys at the shop weren't wearing masks, were they?
I hope all subaru dealerships aren't this crummy. The rage is building...
Old 03-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Doogie

Green, let me know when you figure out what's wrong so I can tell my dad. Turns out my grandma died like 3 hours ago, so my mom called my dad and told him to come home. So my dad's home and I showed him the problems and the clicking noise, and he just said, "it's a subaru, a different engine of what you're used to". I'm like yeah, but this clicking noise isn't natural.

Anyway, I had some road trip plans with my buddies next week and I was going to drive, but I think those plans are pretty much scrapped now.
Old 03-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Green1995SVX

Hey doogie... What's your aol IM screen name?

-Mike
Old 03-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Green1995SVX

doog - i tried DLing msn messenger, but my firewall doesnt like it... you have icq?

-Mike
Old 03-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Boone

Mebbe you guys should try the chat here....
Old 03-16-2002, 06:39 PM
Green1995SVX

now THERE'S an idea!!

-Mike