How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-02-2002, 09:21 AM
Dgf

Smile my"new"car finally on the road

I finally got my 92 LSL on the road. I have been driving all morning in the snow just for the fun of it.
I still have the warning light issue and no ABS.
The heat stops working(gets cool) and the interior gauge lights dim when I am sitting at idle. Any ideas what that could be? Would the alternator wiring upgrade fix that?
When I bought the car, the previous owner said it had a blown head gasket and bad radiator. She got an estimate of $3500 to fix it. It did have a little white smoke in the exhaust, but no other bad signs. It is on it's second transmission(Subaru reman.) and shifts fine. It has 175,000 miles and I got it rediculously cheap!

I replaced the radiator, thermostat,and hoses, changed the fluids, and installed a B&M trans cooler and now it runs great. On cold days, I still a little white smoke in exhaust and it does leak something on the the steering rack but overall I am very happy with the car.
I could probably use better tires for the snow, because it isn't as
sure-footed as my 92 Legacy wagon. On turns it seems to slide more. But, taking off from a stoplight in the snow, it is fun to leave those big square SUV drivers scratching their head wondering what just happened!
My neighbor can't believe how I just ride through the 7+ inches of snow in my driveway without slipping and sliding. (I'm too lazy to shovel and why should I? I have two Subarus.)
Now, if only I can get rid of all those warning lights and fix the heating problem. (its always something, but that's life)
Old 03-02-2002, 10:58 AM
still in love with Hannah

Re: my"new"car finally on the road

Quote:
Originally posted by Dgf
I finally got my 92 LSL on the road. I have been driving all morning in the snow just for the fun of it.
I still have the warning light issue and no ABS.
The heat stops working(gets cool) and the interior gauge lights dim when I am sitting at idle. Any ideas what that could be? Would the alternator wiring upgrade fix that?
When I bought the car, the previous owner said it had a blown head gasket and bad radiator. She got an estimate of $3500 to fix it. It did have a little white smoke in the exhaust, but no other bad signs. It is on it's second transmission(Subaru reman.) and shifts fine. It has 175,000 miles and I got it rediculously cheap!

I replaced the radiator, thermostat,and hoses, changed the fluids, and installed a B&M trans cooler and now it runs great. On cold days, I still a little white smoke in exhaust and it does leak something on the the steering rack but overall I am very happy with the car.
I could probably use better tires for the snow, because it isn't as
sure-footed as my 92 Legacy wagon. On turns it seems to slide more. But, taking off from a stoplight in the snow, it is fun to leave those big square SUV drivers scratching their head wondering what just happened!
My neighbor can't believe how I just ride through the 7+ inches of snow in my driveway without slipping and sliding. (I'm too lazy to shovel and why should I? I have two Subarus.)
Now, if only I can get rid of all those warning lights and fix the heating problem. (its always something, but that's life)

I just wish I had some snow to play in.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 03-02-2002, 11:28 AM
srmifer

Re: Re: my"new"car finally on the road

Quote:
Originally posted by 249SVX

I just wish I had some snow to play in.

we got some snow last night...i just spent the morning driving my svx around in the snow for 2 hours before they got all the roads plowed...nothing like finding an empty church parking lot too

Last edited by srmifer; 03-02-2002 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:11 PM
calmone

what exactly is snow? in my distant memory i remember something falling from the sky in winter, but with the passage of time here in maryland and the number of neurons that have jumped ship upstairs................................