Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
On a SVX board with a Z31 name

Send a message via AIM to MaxImUmZ Send a message via Yahoo to MaxImUmZ
Maybe stupid question, but...

The aniversary edition... other than it came in a specific red and there are only 600 made, what makes it so special? Ive done an internet search and couldnt find anything. Like what makes it better than any other SVX
Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
301 to be exact. It's superior because of the rarity and because it has a sticker!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:34 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxImUmZ
The aniversary edition... other than it came in a specific red and there are only 600 made, what makes it so special? Ive done an internet search and couldnt find anything. Like what makes it better than any other SVX

Nothing. Other than a small "25th Anniversary" sticker on the rear window, the car is identical to any other fully loaded SVX. Even the paint wasn't special. The reason they are so special is because it is believed that only 301 were sold in the US. If you aren't impressed by a sticker in the rear window, buy any another other loaded SVX and you won't be missing anything.

Dave
Old 06-12-2005, 08:36 PM

Weak...

damn I got all excited when I heard there was a special edition. I thought they were gonna have something cool like an extra horse power or better suspension or at least a cooler interior
Old 06-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Well, some of us think they are cool!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-13-2005, 12:27 AM

Sorry Earl,
They aren't any cooler then any other SVX
(which admitedly is pretty darn cool!)
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Go Riders Go!

Send a message via MSN to Canuck
Thumbs up

First of all, for me it was the thrill of the hunt. Trying to find one that was an anniversary edition AND in superior condition was the challange. There were only 301 produced and some of them have been wrecked and some of them have been butchered. With tools like the internet, it is relativley easy to find an SVX, but an anniversay ediution, that's a bit more of a challenge.

Secondly, the value comes from the rarity; I always tell my buddies who own Corvettes or whatever that ANYONE can have/get one of those. If I wanted to, I could write a cheque today and own one. To be honest, there are a lot of cars that perform better than an SVX on the market today. If I just wanted A CAR, with good performance I could get one of those. But, I wanted something unique, isn't that why a lot of us like the SVX? And, when I decided to get an SVX I figured why not go for the MOST unique. I can go to eBay or Cars.com or whatever and buy several SVXs (other than the anniversary edition) any time I want. Even a lime green one if that's what I wanted. While performance wise there is nothing special about the anniversary edition, I think that if you ask a lot of people who own a (unmodified) SVX if they would trade for an anniversary edition in similar condition with similar mileage etc. they would trade. I own lots of baseball and hockey cards. What makes one like my Gretzky rookie card worth more that the rest? They are all made of of cardboard, same dimensions, same thickness and they all perform the same etc. But, it's the rarity that makes the value (to collectors). A better example might be in coin or stamp collecting whereby a limited run misprint has a high value. The coin or stamp if used as a coin or stamp only carries its face value, but, to collectors the value changes.

And price, well if I ever wanted to sell my anniversary edition (not going to happen) I don't have to compete with eBay, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc., etc. The higher premium/price comes from the rarity. How many anniversary editions do you see on eBay or on AutoTrader? And, if you ever see one in good shape for sale it doesn't last long!

So for me it was the challange, the value and the ability for them to hold their price. When I decided to go after an SVX, I wanted both a unique car and a collectable car.
1993 25th Anniversary Edition ~74K #291

I like mine rare.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
First of all, for me it was the thrill of the hunt. Trying to find one that was an anniversary edition AND in superior condition was the challange. There were only 301 produced and some of them have been wrecked and some of them have been butchered. With tools like the internet, it is relativley easy to find an SVX, but an anniversay ediution, that's a bit more of a challenge.

Secondly, the value comes from the rarity; I always tell my buddies who own Corvettes or whatever that ANYONE can have/get one of those. If I wanted to, I could write a cheque today and own one. To be honest, there are a lot of cars that perform better than an SVX on the market today. If I just wanted A CAR, with good performance I could get one of those. But, I wanted something unique, isn't that why a lot of us like the SVX? And, when I decided to get an SVX I figured why not go for the MOST unique. I can go to eBay or Cars.com or whatever and buy several SVXs (other than the anniversary edition) any time I want. Even a lime green one if that's what I wanted. While performance wise there is nothing special about the anniversary edition, I think that if you ask a lot of people who own a (unmodified) SVX if they would trade for an anniversary edition in similar condition with similar mileage etc. they would trade. I own lots of baseball and hockey cards. What makes one like my Gretzky rookie card worth more that the rest? They are all made of of cardboard, same dimensions, same thickness and they all perform the same etc. But, it's the rarity that makes the value (to collectors). A better example might be in coin or stamp collecting whereby a limited run misprint has a high value. The coin or stamp if used as a coin or stamp only carries its face value, but, to collectors the value changes.

And price, well if I ever wanted to sell my anniversary edition (not going to happen) I don't have to compete with eBay, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc., etc. The higher premium/price comes from the rarity. How many anniversary editions do you see on eBay or on AutoTrader? And, if you ever see one in good shape for sale it doesn't last long!

So for me it was the challange, the value and the ability for them to hold their price. When I decided to go after an SVX, I wanted both a unique car and a collectable car.

Good explanation Randy. Your right it is the rarity that makes the anniversary edition special. I love telling people i have a car and theres only 300 of its kind rolling around the world

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Go Riders Go!

I guess that the other thing is that the cars never changed that much over their lifetime; there isn't too much of a difference between a stock 92 and a stock 97. With other cars there are major body-style changes, powertrain changes, etc., but that never happened with the SVX.

Also, I think it's important to remember that with ALL SVXs, no matter what year, edition, etc; while the production numbers were very limited, due to accidents, wear or whatever, the numbers of cars ON THE ROAD is always going down.

I like mine rare.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:
How many anniversary editions do you see on eBay or on AutoTrader? And, if you ever see one in good shape for sale it doesn't last long!
For anybody in the hunt, there was a '93 at a dealership in Murfreesboro, Tennessee listed on AutoTrader last week. Been there for several weeks, actually. Lousy photo, of course. 160,000+ as I recall. They were asking $3500.

dcb
Old 06-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Go Riders Go!

This may be a little off topic but does anyone know why there seems to be a sort of "region" insterest in the SVX?

When I was looking for mine, I seemed to see a lot of interest in the upper NorthEastern US and in the Seattle area. When I did CARFAX searches, a LOT of the cars seemed to originally come from these areas. Is there any reason why? Is it because these areas could make better use of AWD? Just wondering.

I like mine rare.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:22 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
This may be a little off topic but does anyone know why there seems to be a sort of "region" insterest in the SVX?

When I was looking for mine, I seemed to see a lot of interest in the upper NorthEastern US and in the Seattle area. When I did CARFAX searches, a LOT of the cars seemed to originally come from these areas. Is there any reason why? Is it because these areas could make better use of AWD? Just wondering.

I would assume that is the reason.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-13-2005, 11:07 AM

Regional popularity is a Subaru trait not specific to the SVX. They're popular in snowy areas and not nearly so in the sunbelt. Foresters and Outbacks are becoming more common in my immediate area because the vacation/retirement home business is booming, and lots of those homes are on hilly, unpaved backroads.

dcb
Old 06-14-2005, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I own lots of baseball and hockey cards. What makes one like my Gretzky rookie card worth more that the rest?
Sorry but I believe its the fact that its a Wayne Gretzky card, not only the rarity. Im sure every other card in that set is just as rare and not worth as much. The fact is Wayne Gretzky performed at a higher level
Old 06-14-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote:

One of the most powerful cars that does well in the snow would be my guess.