SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-21-2005, 12:06 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Question A/C + Lead Foot= Any Damage?

This was just at the spur of the moment but on my way to drop someone off I decided it would be cool to see how much speed I would gain and just to see how it feels to go from on end of the street to his house with him agreeing of course, which is about 1/8 of a mile just to get a feel on how a drag strip might be like. So I went to one side which was a culdesac up on a hill aligned and straightened myself to make sure when I accelerate I don't go into the curb or a house. It was about 12:56am with hardly any cars in site and none on the road we were on, but I waited for a bit just in case. I then proceeded to accelerate with the SVX's engine roar resonating out of the exhaust, it didn't have that jump my SVX usually does at since I was at first going down a hill, I gained more speed going over one bump in the road I as if the car itself leapt or pounced over it. By the time I reached about 18 feet of the house I was at about 60mph. I then feathered the brakes to a stop and my friend stepped out of the car, he thought that whole experience was cool, bit jolting but cool. I however did not really feel anything as I was just pulling out, but along with recalling what I did was crazy and somewhat stupid, I also remember something else that I forgot to do which can cause some grave harm. I left the defroster on, and now remembering that I turned it off as I felt a sense of paranoia come over as to how much damage it might have done to the A/C belt or worse. These fears came even more into focus as I turned on the A/C and smelled a burning rubber smell eminating from it, and when I stepped out of the car I smelled it coming from the engine bay.

I don't think this would be considered street racing since I was competing with noone else except maybe for myself, but I don't think thats even valid to say. But none the less I realize it was foolish and I will try to refrain myself from doing again.

I know this whole thing probably would have caused wear to the A/C belt, but how much? And would it do any more damage?

Last edited by Weebitob; 05-21-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:03 AM
THAWA

The AC belt is always spining and has been since the car was built, it's not going to cause any damage. Just to note though, when you go WOT the ECU disengages the AC compressor, so it's not different than driving without the AC on.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:36 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Thats a relief to know but I guess that means I can't really get any times that are noticeably faster by turning off the A/C from the start but in the future when I drag I will anyway (perhaps it would make at least a half a millisecond difference). The SVX is just turning out to be a cooler and cooler car.

But then can you explain why there was a burning tire like smell emanating from the engine compartment? Perhaps it could have been the fact that this was the first time I ran at WOT this spring?

Btw, forgot the most critical thing, the EG33 uses gears to operate the drivetrain.

Last edited by Weebitob; 05-22-2005 at 05:56 PM.