How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-05-2005, 12:09 PM
KCROGUEDOG

cv boot

i have a busted cv boot and needs replacing. has any one had to change these and the difficulty. any tips also would be nice. i also get a tick when i turn to the side of the broke boot and hit gas. no tick happens when i turn and dont hit the gas. i am making a trip today any suggestions on quick fix. all i could think of is surane wrap and strong plummers tape after packing with more grease.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:06 PM

There really is no quick fix. If I were you, I'd replace the half-shaft. The tick under power you hear suggests a worn CV joint. Besides, given the labor involved in changing the boot, you might as well change-out the whole thing.

As to replacement tips, this is one of those jobs for which I'm glad to pay someone with the expertise and tools to do the job right. (I'd take two days to accomplish what a mechanic could do in under two hours.)

good luck
dcb
Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Actually changing out a CV axle on the svx is a pretty easy job. Older subarus were a pain in the ass but the svx axle drops out fairly easy. There are many threads on how to change them here - a quick search should turn up a how-to.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yes, changing the axle will take less than an hour the first time and less than 30 mins the second time.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
KCROGUEDOG

yeah quick fix didnt work lol but i will manage and try to fix it on my own. how much is a half shaft. ty for info guys
Old 05-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You should be able to get them for <$100 with core.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:24 PM

I have the same problem. But both of my cv boots are torn. I brought it to the local midas and this what they quoted me:
Remove and replace front drive axles-labor=187.50
parts=250.00
--------------
sub total=437.50
I decided to go somewhere else. Anybody know where I can get those parts cheaper? Also, they told me that the noise I was getting from my front rotors during right turns is because the mechanic forgot to lubricate the caliper slides. Also, the rear rotors were put on wrong. The rear left rotor is supposed to be on the right and vice versa. Which leads me to ask, are slotted/drilled rotors directional? Are the slots supposed to be pointing a certain direction for them to be effective?

1995 SVX L(mods: slotted/bored raceconcepts rotors,full stebro cat-back exhaust,green cone air-filter,rust )
116,000 mi
My Locker

Last edited by fait_svx; 05-07-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

1st gen legacy axles fit fine from what I'm told. It is extremely easy compared to older subies like was stated. We just replaced one on the race car and didn't even have to do more than loosen the 2 bolts on the bottom of the strut to get it in. Not like the old ones where you practically have to remove the entire hub assembly.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Rebuilds

Check the pricing on rebuilt halfshafts at the major auto stores--like AutoZone. Should run about $79 per halfshaft.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Actually changing out a CV axle on the svx is a pretty easy job. Older subarus were a pain in the ass but the svx axle drops out fairly easy. There are many threads on how to change them here - a quick search should turn up a how-to.
yeah even i could change them out, so they can't be that hard.

autozone or napa should have them for about $80 per half shaft.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Shaft+%2f+Axle

Last edited by Noir; 05-08-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:36 AM

Registered SVX
Just a suggestion from an owner of Subarus from 1978 change both now. At the least have the other boot changed and the bearing packed. If not within 6 months you will be back
Old 05-09-2005, 10:12 AM

My car's in the shop now to have the right-side half-shaft replaced. I was just exiting a parking lot at turning right, when it made this sound like the front passenger side wheel was falling off! I pulled over, and everthing looked all right from the exterior, but some fluid was dripping onto the pavement from roughly midway between the 2 wheels. I immediately had it towed to the garage where my uncle works, and he diagnosed it as the half shaft. Now, my car had been making a clicking as long as I've owned it, almost 1.5 years, but I hadn't noticed it recently. (Maybe I got too accustomed to it.) I previously thought it was from the strut mounts, though, based on other mechanics opinions and other threads. The car made the noise even when I wasn't giving it gas, an issue I didn't even know about before reading this tread and another I read today. Does anyone have a link to a good how-to thread for half-shaft replacement or good diagrams or photos of what's going on down there? Is there anything in particular about this job that a mechanic must be careful about to avoid causing additional problems? Even if I'm not doing the job myself, I'm curious to understand what's going on.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
My car's in the shop now to have the right-side half-shaft replaced. I was just exiting a parking lot at turning right, when it made this sound like the front passenger side wheel was falling off! I pulled over, and everthing looked all right from the exterior, but some fluid was dripping onto the pavement from roughly midway between the 2 wheels.
I hope that drip was condensation from your air conditioner. There is no fluid associated with the CV joints or halfshafts; just grease in the joints.

dcb
Old 05-09-2005, 06:57 PM

It's definitely not condensation from the A/C: I've had no A/C since mechanics in California somehow managed to let the freon escape while working on my engine last September. In fact, before this break-down my plan was to take it in for an A/C hose replacement and recharge this week. Maybe when the half-shaft failed a small piece of metal ballistically slammed into a coolant hose or other component of the cooling system, and that's what's leaking. If not, could the steering system have been damaged by the failure, and power steering fluid be leaking? I'm still waiting for a complete diagnosis.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
It's definitely not condensation from the A/C: I've had no A/C since mechanics in California somehow managed to let the freon escape while working on my engine last September. In fact, before this break-down my plan was to take it in for an A/C hose replacement and recharge this week. Maybe when the half-shaft failed a small piece of metal ballistically slammed into a coolant hose or other component of the cooling system, and that's what's leaking. If not, could the steering system have been damaged by the failure, and power steering fluid be leaking? I'm still waiting for a complete diagnosis.
I was kinda joking about the condensation; that wouldn't be from the center of the undercarriage, anyway. I'd say your leak is a coincidence that has nothing to do with the CV joint failure. But you need to find out what it is.

dcb