Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Post After market alarm install document

Before a panel of my peers, I submit this document for review and possible inclusion into the Hall of How-To (as soon as it reappears).

This document shows how I installed an aftermarket alarm using the stock wiring harness. This would be great for those of you whose stock unit has died or for those of us who never had one. The document is meant to help installation, not as an instruction manual, therefore alot of the minutiae was left out.

Let me know what you think and any suggestions to make it better. I am committed to decent documentation.

Special thanks to lee for his pioneer work in this field.

SVX alarm install
Old 03-11-2005, 05:26 PM

thanks for the honorable mention...good work
Old 03-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Why are there diodes reverse biased on the doors?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-12-2005, 06:03 AM

I can't answer about diodes from an engineer's viewpoint, but maybe you can get what you want from this site:

http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp
Old 03-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
I can't answer about diodes from an engineer's viewpoint, but maybe you can get what you want from this site:

http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp
Oh! Thanks. That answered my question perfectly. They are just used for circuit path isolation. Smart move on including them!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-13-2005, 09:37 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
This looks great. I've been wanting something like this for a while. Thanks!

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Great job, Nate! With the price of SVX alarm modules (and their tendency to die) I've been thinking of this for awhile.

If anyone has a dead alarm module they'd like to donate, I'll look for the proper wiring connector to use, so the wires will be locked in place.

UPDATE: I have the matching connector. E-mail me if interested. Also, "Tuck" kindly donated a couple of dead modules for me to dissect.

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-01-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:02 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc
Great job, Nate! With the price of SVX alarm modules (and their tendency to die) I've been thinking of this for awhile.

If anyone has a dead alarm module they'd like to donate, I'll look for the proper wiring connector to use, so the wires will be locked in place.
Are you thinking of making up a harness adapter like for the stereo? If so, I can let you borrow plug at some point if you can let me have it back.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatWeasel
Before a panel of my peers, I submit this document for review and possible inclusion into the Hall of How-To (as soon as it reappears).

This document shows how I installed an aftermarket alarm using the stock wiring harness. This would be great for those of you whose stock unit has died or for those of us who never had one. The document is meant to help installation, not as an instruction manual, therefore alot of the minutiae was left out.

Let me know what you think and any suggestions to make it better. I am committed to decent documentation.

Special thanks to lee for his pioneer work in this field.

SVX alarm install
Are those Prestige alarms of good quality?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
This looks great. I've been wanting something like this for a while. Thanks!
Mychailo,

If David is not able to get the plug, here's what I did. Since my alarm box was dead I pulled out the circuit board and de-soldered the connector, then soldered on the connecting wires from the DEI alarm I replaced it with. A little shrink wrap to cover the connectors and it's done. The OEM wiring harness then doesn't have to be cut or tapped. I even used the stock alarm LED, although every once in a while I think about putting in the aftermarket LED that came with the alarm. I haven't because I can't figure out where I could mount it prominently without causing irreversible damage to a panel.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:09 AM
sans SVX

Lee, Depending on what David says, I may go with your suggestion. My factory alarm is acting up again. Everytime I drive in the rain, the alarm starts going off. Its the most annoying thing ever. And its an almost brand new alarm.

Visit my locker

Old 03-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc

That would be sweet! I poured over Digikey, Mouser and Newark however I was unable to find a direct fit, but that doesn't mean something couldn't be modified.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Are those Prestige alarms of good quality?
I like the Presitge alarm so far. The keyless entry works great from a huge distance. I don't need to get out of bed to shut off the alarm in the middle of the night (see next paragraph).

The shock sensor was set at max and I didn't think about turning it down until we had a thunder storm and my wussy car sat outside and cried. Over and over and over and over.

Nice things about the Prestige:
1. Very adjustable settings like horn duration for sqwuaks. The SVX needs the full 30ms to keep the horn from sounding weak.
2. Silent arm and disarm.
3. Internal relay for parking light flash.

These are pretty typical options though. The main reason I went with Prestige...it was the only non-crappy alarm I could find in town.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatWeasel
I like the Presitge alarm so far. The keyless entry works great from a huge distance. I don't need to get out of bed to shut off the alarm in the middle of the night (see next paragraph).

The shock sensor was set at max and I didn't think about turning it down until we had a thunder storm and my wussy car sat outside and cried. Over and over and over and over.

Nice things about the Prestige:
1. Very adjustable settings like horn duration for sqwuaks. The SVX needs the full 30ms to keep the horn from sounding weak.
2. Silent arm and disarm.
3. Internal relay for parking light flash.

These are pretty typical options though. The main reason I went with Prestige...it was the only non-crappy alarm I could find in town.
i am looking to install it in our Mercedes, but i need also:
-adding up a talking device in case of proximity
-long range remote control.

does it offer these options? i looked for it on ebay, is it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
i am looking to install it in our Mercedes, but i need also:
-adding up a talking device in case of proximity
-long range remote control.

does it offer these options? i looked for it on ebay, is it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
I'd buy whatever system already has the features in the box. Probably a DEI Viper or something like that. I chose the Prestige because it had all the features of the stock SVX alarm plus shock sensor and some additional functionality, but not much more.

I am by no means an alarm expert as I did the bare minimum amout of research on my purchase. If I were you I'd ask 'rmjjensen' what his ideas are. I believe he does alarm installations professionally and would be better versed on this.