SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: Do YOu Like Your Job?
Yes, I really enjoy what I do. 24 42.86%
It Pays The Bills So Its Ok. 16 28.57%
It kinda sucks, but Im used to it. 5 8.93%
#$%@@!!! ##@#$#!!!!! My Job... 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2004, 12:59 PM
tancred

Job Poll

What do you do? And how much an hour dont you make?
Do you like your job? (Honestly?)
If you could, walk us through a typical day, for you...

This will be disturbing im sure..
Old 09-07-2004, 01:03 PM
tancred

I am a computer nerd, guy who fixes fax, printer, and PC systems for people who cant seem to find the "ANY" Key. I really hate my job, because usually, and yes I ***** about this, I sit for 8 hours a day and am allowed to browse the internet. Honestly, I hate my job which is why I am quitting next week.

Typical Day...Get to work whenever I want, go around town picking up empty toner cartridges for printers, bringing them back and rebuiling them and selling them. Usually though 4/5 days a week I sit at my desk, and i stare at my monitor and browse the internet. On occaision I will be flown to other places, Vegas, San Diego, Atlanta to fix something for someone and then come back.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

And what exactly is the problem with that?! I wouldnt mind getting paid to browse the net!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-07-2004, 01:28 PM
tancred

Its the problem of you can only browse the net, play games for so long, ive been working here 9 months, 9 months, ive maybe done a months worth of work total. I get so bored, its like being in time out............
Old 09-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm a CAD draftsman, designer, so I design and draw up Structural steel for whatever the company is working on at the moment, so I work in AutoCAD all day, staring at the monitor...will be blind in a few more years , been drafting for 20 years, and as for pay....lets just say no where near what I should...but jobs are hard to come by around here, and it has insurance, and a retirement program...so I stick around...
Got bills to pay, and 3 daughters and a wife to feed....

Would love to have my own Bike Dealership....pretty far cry from what I'm doing, that's for sure
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-07-2004, 01:42 PM
tancred

Nice Huck, Its a respectable job though.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:48 PM

I love what I do (but not the job)

I'm a graphic artist for print, meaning I'm too Web illiterate to do Web site design. I create brochures, junk mail, and other worthless items you look at once and throw away. I, too, sit and stare at a computer monitor all day (Macintosh, by the way).

Financially, I do okay for this immediate region, where the only folks making the real money are doctors, lawyers and Realtors. I'd pull-down considerably more in Atlanta, but I'd also be completely insane by now, had I stayed there. I'm good at what I do but admit to being a bit bored and in a rut. (Why else would I spend so much time here?) Were this a perfect world, I'd run my own shop, and our office manager would run away with me.

Oh, yeah, she's married. I keep forgetting that.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 09-07-2004 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:09 PM
#073 of 301

I work for a Canadian MasterCard issuer in our Card Production department. I'm responsible for the proper issuance and manufacturing of Credit Union member card plastics, Global Payment cards, and of course MasterCards. A lot of it is a stare-at-the-screen-til-the-phone-rings job like the rest of you guys, but it's kind of interesting aiding with new card designs and handling nation-wide reissues etc.

As far as pay, I don't do so badly here considering I'm only 23 years old. The company also pays for all my university so that helps a LOT. Hope to move on up once my Business Admin degree is done (9 more classes!).

-Dan
Old 09-07-2004, 02:34 PM

i like my job a lot. daily routines mean dealing with people of all kinds. I work in an emergency room. i see people at the worst times of their lives. i take their information. i talk to the families. i make sure that people are taken care of. i put them into triage, then i do the paperwork. i admit patients not only into the emergency room, but also to the floors, ob, surgery, radiology, and lab. i work weekends 7-3...every weekend. for four days, i make about 370 bucks. i work with the doctors, nursing staff, emergency medical persons, and other people in the hospital. i deal with police departments and insurance companies.

i see death, blood, guts, and little old ladies that take spills. i see people with mental and physical problems. i see drug addicts, nose bleeds, and minor cuts. i see car accident victims, fire victims, and birthing mothers.

i like my job, keeps me on my toes!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'm an environment artist for a video game development studio. I make the environments the characters run around in.

I love what I do, but I'm not really going to discuss how much I take home in a public forum.

A typical day? I take the rough geometry the designers create in laying out the gameplay and I decide how to make it look like what it's supposed to look like. I have to create most geometry and most textures from scratch. It's the most responsibility I've ever had as an artist. It can take 4 months for me to create the environment art for 30 minutes of gameplay.

This is my second job in games and it's the best job I've ever had.

I share a rather large corner office with five other developers (4 artists, one designer). On my desk are my two large monitors, my Wacom tablet, a TV hooked up to a PS2 development kit, two keyboards and a couple PS2 controllers.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-07-2004, 05:31 PM
XSVX Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ryan
I'm a combo of DCarb and Tancred. I am an PC technician (windows terminal) that knows a lot about Windows, handpunch timeclocks, Windows Server, and web servers. I also run the advertising for my company. Brochures, yellow pages ($400k/yr in spending), random stuff like newsletters, promotional items, etc. I am also the web designer with minimal VB and MS Access intergration into a website. I only have an associates degree in computer graphic design.

My typical day consists of getting in between 8-9, browsing the net for an hour before something pops up for me to work on. I have one person below me, a network engineer above, and two database workers on my staff. My boss is on the road integrating new companies into our system 85% of the year. I'm prospecting ISPs for our upcoming possible acquisition in CA. They've flown me to about 8 states to setup networks.

I get paid $15/hr with full benifits, 401k and life insurance. Been here for 4 years and 2 months.

And the best part - it's the portable restroom industry. Yup. Portapotties.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:33 PM
tancred

Computer work has really gone down hill market wise, we used to be worth a lot more, now im only worth a ****ty 18/hr...but I get my revenge on the economy by putting in 13-18 hours overtime.....

Not too ****ty for a 19 year old kid, 19 as of today, wasnt too bad for a 18 year old kid....with no degree...and bad manners..
Old 09-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Sue isn't really striped

My regular job is boring and doesnt pay much but has great hours and nice people to work with. Shrug.

I just spent the weekend getting paid to hang out at rock concerts, shout at people who can't hear me, pass out drugs and try to identify (and dodge) body fluids.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
I'm a CAD draftsman, designer, so I design and draw up Structural steel for whatever the company is working on at the moment, so I work in AutoCAD all day, staring at the monitor...will be blind in a few more years , been drafting for 20 years, and as for pay....lets just say no where near what I should...but jobs are hard to come by around here, and it has insurance, and a retirement program...so I stick around...
Got bills to pay, and 3 daughters and a wife to feed....
I used to recruit for people in the Engineering industry when I lived in the greater DC area. Good CAD draftsmen were always in high demand. Especially if they had Microstation 3-D which was the software that the Government purchased and the engineering firms were using on the re-construction of the Pentagon...

You have a cool job Huck, and I agree with you, CAD people rarely get paid what they're worth. Is your CAD manager at least a nice person?

-Chike

P.S. Kinda how you'd like to own your own bike dealership, I'd love to have my own performance tuning shop. Kinda like what Shiv Patak does for the EVO's and STI's (Vishnu Performance).

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-07-2004, 06:08 PM
tancred

I cant help but chuckle at a shop named Vishnu Performance...