How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-24-2003, 12:21 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
ok so the problem is probably the pcv thing right? well here is some interesting info from my recent case of the chivers. When it started doing it i let it run all jerky for a bit then turned the car off and turned it back on. It was gone not a sign of jerkyness remainging. so would that mean that it was something electronical or could it still be the pcv.

Seems like a lot of us are having this problem i wonder why it has never really been dealt with before.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:49 AM
6evil9

So anyone got anywhere??

ok news update from me

PCV changed, all hoses i could find related to PCV system or vacuum hoses- changed...(still could not locate some )

pcv system works now, no oil dipstic poping up... like wow all should be cool now (i had about 5 vacuum hoses in terrible condition and all PCV related hoses) but nah.. car idles even worse now... but i ve done good 10,000kms since it started to idle rought... so something goes worse progresivly

im still trying to locate another 3-6 vacuum hoses (i disconnected 1 accedenly while changing the other one... so trying to find all of them and check)

ok so far i can only advice to make sure u have ur 2 vacuum hoses going off the throttle body top (the left one is thin about 4mm inlet the right one is thicker and is 1/2" inlet)
as they matter so much for how the car opperate

[left one goes to pressure regulator, unplug it and car sounds like V8 holden and consuming hell lotta petrol, unplug the right one u hear whistling and car dies immidiately]
i had both hard as stone... so good idea to check them anyway

also here s the pic of vacuum diagram.

Could anyone tell me what followings are for: (on the picture)

EGR valve
EGR vacuum control
EGR solenoid valve
VC tank
Purge Control solenoid valve
Check valve
Canister
Actuator
Induction solenoid valve

would be usefull to know....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx- vacuum diagram.jpg (43.2 KB, 272 views)
Old 11-27-2003, 12:53 AM
6evil9

Also

does anyone know how to check operation of fuel pump??

i think ill get it out and check it physically at least

any hints how to take it out SAFELY?

(disconnecting battery... anything else?)
Old 11-27-2003, 10:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: US gallon V Imperial gallon.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
Improve your miles / gallon, move to Ozz
...or Canada.

We need more SVXers in Canada. I'm too lonely all by myself here.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:10 AM
dagenais

sputtering and rough idling

Hi

This is my first post. After reading about the sputtering and rough idle several of you describe I decided to share my own problems. This has been going on for almost 2 years and started after I changed the spark plugs. In contrast to what I've read, the rough idle does not happen soon after startup but only when the engine is hot. The worse thing I can do is multiple short errands over a few hours. That gets the idle very rough and makes the car shake. No difference if I change gears or stop and restart. Roughness disappears when I hit the gas and is only seen at idle.

I've read elsewhere that it's easy to damage the coils when changing spark plugs and since the timing works out, I'd like to blame that. But from what others say, changing the coils might not fix anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Simon
Old 11-30-2003, 03:07 PM
6evil9

Quote:
This has been going on for almost 2 years and started after I changed the spark plugs.
sux to be u man... lols well i ve changed sparks 4 months ago and have exactly what u have...

and i ve got no clue what it can be.... i guess the only thing i ve got left to do is change the sparks back and think the new plugs were factory damaged or something....

even tho i can suggest i damaged coils but it seems to be petrol problem and not separate cyllinder...

anyways what ive done is described above... so far its not going better
Old 12-01-2003, 11:55 AM
The One

ok so mine started randomly spark pugs were still old. Get this though my dad took it to a mechanic to replace the belts and he mentioned this problem. dude drove it and said it was "vapor lock" now i dont know if i really by this or not but could it be? if so how do i take care of it.

p.s. so the dipstick getting pushed out is the pcv valve?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

Sorry - been out of the country for a few weeks. I'll swap the MAF sensors this morning to test that theory.
OK - swapped MAF sensors this morning and sent the wife to work. She called a minute later with the car stalled out and warning lights on. Started back up and it was hesitating still. I think it's safe to say the MAF is not the culprit.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:15 AM

i am new here but have been looking at this site for two years,i had a issue like yours for 3 months i un hooked both o2 sensors the car ran fine cold or hot so i replace both cleared my light ,you will be just driving in i think closed loop mode /good luck
Old 12-03-2003, 09:44 AM
The One

well see the thing is there is no light
Old 12-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I just meant the dash lights came on when it stalled - she does not have a check engine light.

I am thinking of trying temp sensor swaps next.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 12-03-2003, 11:05 AM
The One

lol i was replying to the guy above my last post. So what do yall think about the vapor lock thing?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:10 AM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

OK - swapped MAF sensors this morning and sent the wife to work. She called a minute later with the car stalled out and warning lights on. Started back up and it was hesitating still. I think it's safe to say the MAF is not the culprit.
You were my only hope, man! I'm dead!

I'm checking the vacuum with a gauge mounted against the windshield right now (pathetic, huh?). Pretty soon I'll contact a psychic.

Don't know if you have exactly what I gots, but the temperature sensor (easy access, cheap) is one of the first things I tried.

I know this sounds a little wacky, but the things that seem to help(not solve!) this intermittent problem the most is fuel cleaners (including ~1 oz./tank) or octane booster (?).

Let us know what your wife's car problem turns out to be, please.

Jim
President and C.E.O.
Intermittent Idle/High-Speed Shudder Headquarters
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 12-04-2003 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:44 AM
6evil9

so its not only me going mad about the car jerks

uh huh... its gettin worse for me i think... so soon ill be stalling... and then... then i better fix it ... or ill be really really pissed off!!
anyways back to posts:

[quote]
p.s. so the dipstick getting pushed out is the pcv valve?
[quote]

if dipstick pops up: first get some insultion tape and get around the top of dipstic, so it will be tight when u push it back. if it still pops up then its pcv system (mite be just cracked hose or can be stuck PCV valve)

changed mine pcv valve and hoses, still same and even worse...
(dont i just cry here?)

Quote:
thats really sad to hear! were u getting jerky iddle when car is warm? or when its cold

as mine is only when it warms up... when its cold its perfect! (better virse versa )

Quote:
i un hooked both o2 sensors the car ran fine cold or hot so i replace both cleared my light ,you will be just driving in i think closed loop mode /good luck
can anyone provide more info about that? I mean if i guess that my right O2 sensor is screwed but does not wanna tell me that, and unplug the connector... whats gonna happen?
how car would run? petrol consumption?

(as unplugging the vacuum hose to pressure regulator may fix the rough idle but give u moster petrol sucker! instead of SVX....)

[quote]
Don't know if you have exactly what I gots, but the temperature sensor (easy access, cheap) is one of the first things I tried
[quute]

sounds reasonable to me as its next step i was gonna try... my temp on the gauge is really low, and not half of scale as its supposed to be... but 1/4 of scale... so mite be temp sesor... coz engine feels hot as hell (compared to other cars i had before...)

where is it located? or there are 2 sensors there?

cheers
Old 12-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Is there more than one temp sensor in there? I seem to remember most subarus have 1 for the dash gauge and a separate one for the ECU. If someone can point me in the right direction I can swap them.

I still dont understand how it could be 02 sensors, but I can swap those too if needed.