How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-30-2003, 02:42 PM
svxcel

Question got a whinning noise!!

Hi folks..I could use some insight here.

I have noticed a new whinning type of noise. It varies upward with speed, becoming audible at about 25MPH. Hot or cold, doesn't make a diff. Most prominent when accelerating, less prominent when engine braking. Does not vary by engine speed, nor whether running straight vs turns. There appears to be a direct correclation to vehicle speed...the fater I go, the higher the pitch. and the harder I go, the louder.

At 60MPH, on cruise, it's almost bearable to live with, but again on any engine load it becomes very noticible.

It sounds a bit like a listening to a jet engine (thought it was a cool sound at first) , or like running with snow tires. Defninitely not a grinding noise....more turbine-ish.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by svxcel; 06-30-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:46 PM
svxcel

OH yes...I ran with the back seats down, but the sound didn't appear much different if a t all. It's hard to locate the source, but as a guess it seems rather central and maybe a bit forward.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:06 PM

I don't think many will respond to this thread so I will offer my ignorance. It sounds like you and I might be having the same problem. For me, the sound has varied in intensity after screwing with my air filter and intake box. I blew out the air filter (had lots of dust in it) and made sure the box was secure. This helped a lot but the sound is still there a little bit.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Does this noise go away if the trans is in N and the engine speed is at idle? i.e. coasting at speed.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Marissa

I just bought my first SVX (notice I said first ) last Thursday. It is a 92 with the touring package and I too, have heard this "jet engine" sound. It doesn't happen all the time and no, there is no sound at idle ie: stop lights etc. I am SO in love with my car. It is teal and just the sharpest car I have ever seen. ...that is why I had to have it!
Old 07-06-2003, 11:41 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
I doubt this is what's happening with you guys....but I get some interference through my speakers, that correlates to the engine speed....but this could be because i have an amp installed, and it oculd be picking it up from the power wire running to the battery.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:11 AM
svxcel

Thank you all who have replied. I brought my baby into the shop, and am advised that it is something called a ring bearing in the tranny. Nothing a few hundred $$$ won't solve ...there goes the vacation fund