How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-30-2003, 07:15 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I actually have the B&M but did not put it in and I wasnt planning on it until after the flush.

Mike- I checked pepboys and Strauss discount auto. They did not seem to have any product like that.

Currently I'm filing with the better business bureau and I believe I have a case.

When I called up initially on the phone a few weeks prior to the job and they said they used a pump to flush the fluid. When I took it there they used an air compressor and shot through most of the lines to flush it out. They claimed that they were just flushing out the tranny cooler but I strictly recall mist flying out of where the transmission pan is. They finally completed teh job and I took it home. Then I began noticing the binding. I called the next day and then he said they did their job and it shouldnt have been related to what they did. He said he would take a look at it on monday since they were backed up. I waited pretty much a week for them to come look at it. I drove 20 miles all the way over there first thing in the morning just so he could tell me the problems aren't related to his work. He then printed up information from Alldata saying the viscosity of the oil could make a difference, and told me to go to the subaru dealer to get subaru brand atf. I then spent my own money to get oil, which he should have put in to begin with. I then call the subaru dealer and ask them. They said that any fluid will do as long as it is Dexron 3. I then just purchase supertech ATF and bring it down there. They keep asking me what I want done and I say I want the problem to be solved and they kept restating how it shouldnt have been related to any of the work they did. I then get them to change the atf. They didnt even use the ATF i brought but instead they put in their own stuff from the barrel! I commented on it and received no response. I then demand an invoice stating the work that was just redone and the boss was not in and the guy started yelling at me that he would not sign anything.

Long post but I definitely think I have a case and I'm filing with the better business bureau since they are listed. Any recommendations? I think I have them because of the fact he told me to get different ATF.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-01-2003, 04:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Last Saturday I brought in the '97 Outback for service and to get the A/C recharged with refrigerant. My favorite Suby dealer has a new tranny flush machine. It is a BG PF5. It fluses the tranny without the engine/tranny being on. I spoke to The service mgr. and the techs. They have done about 7 Subys so far with no ill effects. They want $118.95 plus 6% state tax to do it. They told me that they would run my synth. ATF and that I would have to bring in 12 qts. min. I'm thinking about it for the '97 SVX.

On a different note, I walked around the back of the lot where they have the really old used cars. There was a red Brat with a cap over the bed that really needs to be restored. I felt sorry for it.

They were quite a few WRX's lined up outside the body shop. Most of them had front end damage. How can parents give hot cars to teenagers? Their kids are supposed to be their most precious posession.
The salespeople told me that they sold all 5 of the STI's that they had been alotted. They sold for a surcharge over sticker price. Reminds me of the days of the first Datsun 240Z cars. The dealership is on a waiting list to get more STI's. Sounds like there is going to be plenty of 6-speed manual trannys in the junk yards in about 2 years.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 07-01-2003, 07:49 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
........When I called up initially on the phone a few weeks prior to the job and they said they used a pump to flush the fluid. When I took it there they used an air compressor and shot through most of the lines to flush it out. They claimed that they were just flushing out the tranny cooler but I strictly recall mist flying out of where the transmission pan is. ...........
That does not sound good to me.
I have never heard of that.
Usually a tranny flush is done with a special machine, basically an inlet and outlet tank, that gets connected to the disconnected AFT lines from the radiator. The engine is started and the new fluid goes in and the old comes out.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
.......STI............. Sounds like there is going to be plenty of 6-speed manual trannys in the junk yards in about 2 years.
Larry, I was thinking the STI was being sold to an older crowd. Say around 30 to 40. It really isn't a street car for everyday driving. Did you get the impression that parents were buying the STI for their kids?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:07 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Here is a write-up of the whole thing. All the legal issues are gonna get taken care of today hopefully once my dad contacts the lawyer.

After reading the word document, do you guys think i should call up mark and ask for an invoice?
Attached Files
File Type: doc md auto service problem.doc (29.0 KB, 93 views)
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-01-2003, 10:13 AM

Registered SVX
TE2121,

Please note the following. Most shop air compressor systems deliver either 60 0r 90 psig 'oiled, air to the air driven tools. This is way way too much pressure to be running thru your tranny. Next, the oil for air tools (wrenches, etc.) is light weitght oil like SAE 5-10 weight.
They may have blown out seals internal to your tranny because the air pressure may have been unbalanced.

I'm sorry, but I think you got shafted. Don't let these guys near your car again.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:22 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Larry, I was thinking the STI was being sold to an older crowd. Say around 30 to 40. It really isn't a street car for everyday driving. Did you get the impression that parents were buying the STI for their kids?

SVX -Commuter,

The wrecks behind the body shop were std. WRXes. The techs said that mostly kids were the drivers. They were all 4-door sedans. One was silver and all the others were black.
From the salesmen I learned that 3 STIs were sold to adults and 2 went to kids. All 5 STI's were sold in June, so I think it's too early for them to come back with body damage. That's why I gave my 2 year guesstimate for the time frame for the trannys in the junkyards.