SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 06:22 AM
91svx

Stuffed Central Locking

Hi

Just bought myself a Charcoal grey 91 svx (Nov '91 even Subaru didn't believe it was '91 till it came up on there computer) The cars great except for one annoying problem. Everytime you exceed 15kph the doors lock which is fine but then they instantly unlock themselves. This happens everytime you slow down and speed up and so frustrating in rush hour traffic. Don't even know where to start looking at the wiring/motors for a solution. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

John

91 Charcoal SVX
93 Twin Turbo Mitsubishi Galant VR4 (Written Off)
89 Subaru Legacy Vi
Old 05-12-2003, 07:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: Stuffed Central Locking

Welcome to the Network.

Unfortunately another common problem with JDM models. The control unit is behind the glovebox and will most probably need to be replaced, big $$ for OEM unit. Most Japanese owners replace the OEM central locking system with a non-OEM unit, which also gives a much better remote range than OEM. But you'll lose the 'auto locking' at 15 km/h and the 'door handle' keyless entry

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 05-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Tired

Gosh... There is a whole other SVX world out there... My car is so Americanized.

Paul
Old 05-13-2003, 05:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Stuffed Central Locking

Quote:
Originally posted by 91svx
Hi

Just bought myself a Charcoal grey 91 svx (Nov '91 even Subaru didn't believe it was '91 till it came up on there computer) The cars great except for one annoying problem. Everytime you exceed 15kph the doors lock which is fine but then they instantly unlock themselves. This happens everytime you slow down and speed up and so frustrating in rush hour traffic. Don't even know where to start looking at the wiring/motors for a solution. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

John

91 Charcoal SVX
89 Subaru Legacy Vi
You must have one of the very first SVXi ever, it even has the prototype auto door lock / unlock feature.
I always new this was a highway car and the auto lock you have proves it. LOL Get in the car, drive, the doors lock, get on the highway, slow down to stop and the doors unlock. That is beatutiful.

Woul you care to post your VIN number?
ou have a classic car.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Stuffed Central Locking

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

You must have one of the very first SVXi ever, it even has the prototype auto door lock / unlock feature.
I always new this was a highway car and the auto lock you have proves it. LOL Get in the car, drive, the doors lock, get on the highway, slow down to stop and the doors unlock. That is beatutiful
Except the doors don't automatically unlock on the early models when the vehicle comes to a stop! Very inconvenient. Later JDM models came with the switch on the console to unlock the doors.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 05-13-2003, 08:22 AM
91svx

Thanks paddlesnz

Might pull apart the car on the weekend and see if its anything simple. The only other i was wondering was the lock is supposed to sent a signal back to the the control unit that it was locked and it is that signal that is faulty. Reason for this is that if you manually lock the doors they don't automatically lock/unlock.

Also does removing the control unit alter the 180 kph speed limiter and cruise control? Just being hopeful i guess

Vin No is 7A8GF0M0796003200

If anyone can tell me what number the car was or anything else that would be great. Also what model it is as has electric seats, cruise control but no sunroof or spoiler

John

91 Charcoal Svx
89 Subaru Legacy Vi
Old 05-13-2003, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks paddlesnz

Might pull apart the car on the weekend and see if its anything simple. The only other i was wondering was the lock is supposed to sent a signal back to the the control unit that it was locked and it is that signal that is faulty. Reason for this is that if you manually lock the doors they don't automatically lock/unlock.

Also does removing the control unit alter the 180 kph speed limiter and cruise control? Just being hopeful i guess
No, speed limiter and cruise control are governed by the main ECU.

Quote:
Vin No is 7A8GF0M0796003200

If anyone can tell me what number the car was or anything else that would be great. Also what model it is as has electric seats, cruise control but no sunroof or spoiler
Is it a used Japanese import? If so, need to know if the original chassis no. starts with CX-W or CX-D? Easiest way to tell is if it has leather seats (CX-D).

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 PM
91svx

Yeah has leather seats and it is an import. Also another question is there any way to adjust the light sensor and where is it located. Sick of the lights switching on everytime i go under bridges when headlights set on auto
Old 05-13-2003, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah has leather seats and it is an import. Also another question is there any way to adjust the light sensor and where is it located. Sick of the lights switching on everytime i go under bridges when headlights set on auto
You have a Version L, which has the electronic 4W-steering. The system is excellent when it works but expensive to fix, and very unreliable.

Version L has 4WS, auto lights, CD changer, ABS and cruise control as standard. Only options were airbag and/or sunroof.

I think the light sensor is on the upper left of the dashboard but is non-adjustable.

A check of Subaru Japan's database confirms that your SVX came off the production line in Nov 1991.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure