Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 10-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Locker Link Solution

Red face Stupid air filter question.

Alright guys... my STi filter is about to get tossed.

Has anyone used the "Super Hybrid Filter" from HKS?
I have one in my box of filters that I planned on putting in earlier this year. I can't figure out if I'm supposed to oil it or not. It is supposed to have a poly layer to catch the dirt, right? (meaning no oil needed) I can't read the japanese writing. Can someone give me a clear oil or don't oil answer. I feel the answer to this question is somewhat obvious, but I'm in one of those dazed moods right now.

Also, does anyone recommend either using it or something else. I'm not going to ditch my panel intake just yet, I did that once already
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 AM

I think that sti panel may be better than that filter you have to oil.I had major stalling issues with the filters you have to oil.Chike has run a sti panel with a few other basic bolt on and I think his car was on the verge of a high 14.So be carefull with the filters you have to oil.Also depending on how you run the car that pretty hks filter may be too small,I have a 9 INCH long metal mesh racing filter that I adapter the 4in opening down to a 3in sounds nasty and I will never have airflow problems.Good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2
I think that sti panel may be better than that filter you have to oil.I had major stalling issues with the filters you have to oil.Chike has run a sti panel with a few other basic bolt on and I think his car was on the verge of a high 14.So be carefull with the filters you have to oil.Also depending on how you run the car that pretty hks filter may be too small,I have a 9 INCH long metal mesh racing filter that I adapter the 4in opening down to a 3in sounds nasty and I will never have airflow problems.Good luck
Agreed. I had no issues with the STI panel filter I had in my former SVX. I even bought one for my current WRX.

What happened to your STI filter Speedklix? Is it dirty or did it get damaged in some way?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Agreed. I had no issues with the STI panel filter I had in my former SVX. I even bought one for my current WRX.

What happened to your STI filter Speedklix? Is it dirty or did it get damaged in some way?
Loaded with sand, and even after i beat it a little, it was still a little too "shady" for me. I got a few good years out of it. Eh, I might just buy another STi. I was just thinking about giving this one a shot for a few months.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
Loaded with sand, and even after i beat it a little, it was still a little too "shady" for me. I got a few good years out of it. Eh, I might just buy another STi. I was just thinking about giving this one a shot for a few months.
A few good years?! I change my air filters every year!

If you're on Ebay, send a message to 'andy_alaska'. He has no items listed currently, but I recently bought a new STI panel filter from him for $40 + cheap shipping (like $6-$7). Cheapest seller around and the filter was in perfect condition. He has 3 left. He has good feedback as well.

P.S. This is a link to his auction (which is now closed): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5515723&rd=1,1

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Locker Link Solution

Calm down Chike
I think it was really only two years and I haven't been putting so many miles on it. In fact for about 6/7 of those months it never left the garage.

Thanks for the ebay tip.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:06 AM

The guys with the stock airbox and sti filters and any type of ram air setup make pretty good power,I wish I had not run over my stock box,but it feels as good as the weapon r dual intake tube with the large conical filter,I think your torque is better with the stock box also,that was one reason I switched fwd and too much torque eqauls massive wheelspin.Good luck