Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Tom... Don't know if you noticed or not, but Trevor is in Australia... That would be an expensive phone call
Trevor lives in New Zealand and the sporting enemy is across the Tasman. You are treading on egg shells here

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:06 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Trevor lives in New Zealand and the sporting enemy is across the Tasman. You are treading on egg shells here
Hahahha... oops, I forgot... My bad

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 07-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Good Bye 5 Mt Stall

TomsSVX installed the Trevor/Mychailo/TomsSVX Bypass Air Solenoid Valve manual air valve bypass 5MT Stall fix today and I no longer stall. Right after the engine starts up, if I lift off the accelerator and the clutch is down, the rpm's will immediately drop down as low as 300-400, then pick back up to about 800-900. After the engine is fully warmed up, and I do the same, rpm's immediately drop to about 1100, then slowly sink back down to about 900 after a few seconds. Previously, either of these actions likely would have resulted in a stall. Drove the car home from Beach Haven in summer traffic (5+ miles along Long Beach Drive) and around town here later today. Haven't stalled once. Got to get over the habit of quickly blipping the accelerator, while braking, when I lift the clutch to come to a stop. I don't need to do that any more.

Now, just need to wait until the winter to see if the lack of Bypass Air Solenoid Valve automatic functions impacts driveability at all.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
TomsSVX installed the Trevor/Mychailo/TomsSVX Bypass Air Solenoid Valve manual air valve bypass 5MT Stall fix today and I no longer stall. Right after the engine starts up, if I lift off the accelerator and the clutch is down, the rpm's will immediately drop down as low as 300-400, then pick back up to about 800-900. After the engine is fully warmed up, and I do the same, rpm's immediately drop to about 1100, then slowly sink back down to about 900 after a few seconds. Previously, either of these actions likely would have resulted in a stall. Drove the car home from Beach Haven in summer traffic (5+ miles along Long Beach Drive) and around town here later today. Haven't stalled once. Got to get over the habit of quickly blipping the accelerator, while braking, when I lift the clutch to come to a stop. I don't need to do that any more.

Now, just need to wait until the winter to see if the lack of Bypass Air Solenoid Valve automatic functions impacts driveability at all.

Great news! Looks like the community might just have a "seamless" MT install now
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-30-2006, 11:45 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
sounds like this could help with bypass valve causing a stall as well sweet news
Old 07-31-2006, 06:16 AM
Maniac modifier

SAweeeet. I wanted to know if you had it stall yet or not. Seems like Trevor laid it out simple and we were all over thinking it. Anyway...I am glad

Tom
Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Great news! Looks like the community might just have a "seamless" MT install now
-Bill
I don't know if it's the weather, lack of humidity, parts I used, or what, but I haven't had a 5MT stall since I started it up 3 months ago No high idle either. I don't know why, but I'm not about to complain
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-01-2006, 03:24 AM

I have been away for a while and have lost track of what we need to do to fix the problem. Has any one got any photos of the mod.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:58 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
SAweeeet. I wanted to know if you had it stall yet or not. Seems like Trevor laid it out simple and we were all over thinking it. Anyway...I am glad

Tom
Not rocket science and it was simply a matter of shoveling the BS off the bandwagon. As per Tony's post, it will be interesting to learn what hardware you practical guys finally came up with.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
I don't know if it's the weather, lack of humidity, parts I used, or what, but I haven't had a 5MT stall since I started it up 3 months ago No high idle either. I don't know why, but I'm not about to complain
I just HAD to go and say something. Stupid thing stalled 2x yesterday Not sure if it was the 5MT stall, though, cuz I was on the gas during one of them.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Maniac modifier

It was actually a valve left over from when we set up our hardline for the air compressor. I will take a pic of one when I get a chance unless Dan can snap one of it installed

Tom