How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
How much, and where to get?

Kay, had a rather horrible experience last night involving a rancid burning smell and my brake pedal sinking to the floor, so I took it in to get looked at. Lo and behold, the rear brake calipers are rusted into a partially 'on' position and as such are using up the pads and heating up my brake system. Figures.

Price quote was 400-something to replace the calipers and pads on both sides. And 700-something to do that plus rotors. I'm no dummy, and I've done disc brake replacement before (though not on ABS cars), so I would like to avoid this insanely hefty price tag. I know I can get replacement rotors for a good price, but my rotors actually seem fine. I can get OEM pads cheap too, so that's not a problem either.

But where could I get rear brake calipers, and how much? Hopefully less than $125...?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

NAPA has prices from $52-84 per each...these are remanufactured...either way wherever you get you new ones make sure you trade the old ones in because they are worth a core value!!! My question now is...di you actually see for yourself that they were rusted? The pistons (is that what they're called?)may have run out of grease and without that lube this could have made them "stuck" anyway the link below is for calipers at napa. I went to their site because they have locations nationwide so I figure wherever you are there is prolly one close by and if they don't have them in stock they usually don't take a long ass time to ship.

http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NO...Rear&VehCode=Y
Old 04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Also the replacement is super easy so let me know if you need any info on that. Even for a first timer it shouldn't take more than 2 hours tops!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Yes, I did inspect them myself and yes, they are quite rusted. It's pretty nasty. Thanks for the info. There's a Napa place not too far from here... I'd just have to take a different car.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 PM

You are having a string of problems. My sympathies. But, you want to know that rusted calipers don't account for your pedal going to the floor. That would be a leak. Either external and you're losing fuild, or internal in the master cylinder, no fuild lost.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Retired

Rusted calipers account for brakes being constantly on which accounts for heat building up in my brake system. After driving it a while, that'd make the fluid heat up... and fluid boiling does account for pedal going to the floor. And that's backed up by my brakes working fine right now, after the whole system has cooled overnight. Just driving it to Midas made the burning smell begin to return.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Registered SVX
Question Rear Brake Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96
Also the replacement is super easy so let me know if you need any info on that. Even for a first timer it shouldn't take more than 2 hours tops!
How many miles should SVX rear pads last? I am about to replace the front pads. I have 111,000+ miles. TIA
Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano
How many miles should SVX rear pads last? I am about to replace the front pads. I have 111,000+ miles. TIA
The brake pads on my teal looked new when I bought it. I just had the front pads (and rotors) replaced last week, after 40,000+ miles, and the rears don't look half gone, so I figure they ought to be good for another 20,000 or so. That's with typical daily driving on curvy Appalachian roads, but I don't exactly autocross.

dcb