Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-07-2011, 04:12 PM
The Molinator

Starting.. . Pause before turns over.. ?

For a long time now, when I turn the key to START.. There is a pause from 0 to 2-3 seconds (usually 0.5 to 1 sec) before the starter kicks in. It's been doing it more .. and longer recently.. sometimes not starting after waiting (key turned to START) for 3-5 seconds? So, I just turn OFF and back to START. I've never been stranded with this. It's just getting more frequent .. with a longer pause.

[I just yesterday replaced the alternator, because of being stranded a week ago on the way to work. It started fine that day, but crapped out (like running out of gas) while turning left into 70 mph traffic! It seemed to go "dead" on battery voltage.. unable to start, but turned over a little.. ?? I had roadside help jump the battery to start.. easily.. and he checked the alternator by reading across battery while running. It read 11.9 Volts. He said it was too low.. need a new alternator. Ironically though, I drove 20 min to work, parked all day, started right up.. checked with my voltmeter at home.. Then, it was 13.6 Volts! .. ?? I put the alternator in yesterday, cuz my friend said it might be intermittent (alternator failure). The starter delay was about 1 - 1.5 seconds today. [I had hoped the new alternator wud cure the start delay also?.. but no luck.]

Is there any common + short that's been reported here that wud lead to this strange failure?.. or was it likely the alternator?.. when it just crapped out driving along.. ?? (chugging like running out of gas). [BTW.. It was very cold.. about 33 degrees F that morning.] I have a 4AWG wire for alt/battery main wire with gold plated connectors, but it's getting stiff (probably just plastic sheath hardening?). I think I used 4AWG speaker wire??? Is that OK?]

(1) Is it best (at 215K miles) to just replace the entire starter @ $100, rather than spending $70 for just the solenoid. OOPS: (2) Is there a relay for the starter that cud be the cause of the delay?

Any help wud B greatly appreciated.. .
Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Starting.. . Pause before turns over.. ?

I have the same issue- the starter is currently being replaced for kicks, and I am putting the electrical portion of the ignition in when I get it back, as I've done just about everything else I can think of to cure the issue.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
The Molinator

I replaced the ignition switch about a year ago.. just because it was loose, felt sloppy.. and key would come out in RUN and ACCESSORY.. as well as OFF positions. Don't remember if it was doing this pause thing back then??

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Search click click no start, click click start for alot of info on this problem. Theres a relay underdrivers side dash near the sterring collum that seems to be the reason for this, or so I've read, cheers...........G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM

FWIW, replacing that under dash relay (which everyone hoped would be the final solution to this problem) had no effect whatsoever on the occasional, warm-engine ignition system fault in my car. I'm trying to decide whether to try replacing the starter/solenoid, or do the slave-relay thing.

dcb
Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

At least for me, it's not click click start- it's nothing nothing start. I have replaced that relay and tried the bypass relay trick, with no change in behavior.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
The Molinator

Mine just delays the entire click/start for 0 to 1-2 seconds, not multiple clicks! I thot the multi-click issue was usually a solenoid (?).. .

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 AM

Registered SVX

my 92 started doing this earlier this winter. it started out as the pause and then progressed to click click click click click 500x more times and then it starts. I haven't replaced the starter yet, mainly because I wanted to as if the starter is the same as the 2.2 and 2.5L 4 cylinder starters, or does the 3.3L use some sort of a gear reduced starter? FYI, when I did my 4.44 4EAT swap I used the forester TQverter and flex plate with the stock SVX starter.

But yeah back on track, tap on your starter with a brass drift, or something that isnt going to do damage to the case, but is enough to give it a good shock. If it seems to start sooner, or with less clicks replace the starter. If smashing on it doesn't seem to help, then I'd look at the ignition switch for a problem.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxxx View Post
my 92 started doing this earlier this winter. it started out as the pause and then progressed to click click click click click 500x more times and then it starts. I haven't replaced the starter yet, mainly because I wanted to as if the starter is the same as the 2.2 and 2.5L 4 cylinder starters, or does the 3.3L use some sort of a gear reduced starter? FYI, when I did my 4.44 4EAT swap I used the forester TQverter and flex plate with the stock SVX starter.

But yeah back on track, tap on your starter with a brass drift, or something that isnt going to do damage to the case, but is enough to give it a good shock. If it seems to start sooner, or with less clicks replace the starter. If smashing on it doesn't seem to help, then I'd look at the ignition switch for a problem.
All 4eat starters are the same....
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
The Molinator

I'm gonna take my solenoid off .. and apart.. if possible. Clean, maybe sand some contacts? .. and spray with electrical connection spray (the type with "oil") to service. I think it has an old slightly corroded contact somewhere.. maybe even the main + wire connection to the solenoid?

AND.. I can't find the relay (starter) under the dash [there's one bolted to the steering column near the ign sw] in the Subaruparts.com system?? In fact, I can't find any starter related relay listed .. or shown on that site?

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

You can get one from AutoZone easily. I can track down the OEM part number if you really want it.