Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 AM

Registered SVX
Brake kits

I have been looking around for some upgraded calipers pads and rotors and really dont know what would be good. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get good brakes for the svx. Any help with this would be appreciated. My wife will be driving this and the brakes work but they dont work like i think they should. She has a habit of stopping really fast and i cant brake her of it so i need so brakes that will hold up to her. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Brake kits

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55890
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 AM

I'm using Movit brakes from Germany. I have to say they are truly a truly fantastic braking system. They are definitely the best brakes available for our SVX's. http://www.movitbrakes.com/ They are not cheap $3000.00 but worth every penny.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Registered SVX

yeah, i could have bought 2 of my svx's for the cost of those brakes. I'm looking at something under $1000. There should be a very good kit with calipers and rotors brakes and pads for under a grand easy. Stock all of that would only be around $480. I want better than stock though. I'm sure your car stops awesome with those on there.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:03 PM

Registered SVX

For better than stock, you won't find anything for under $1k that is straight bolt in replacement... plain and simple...
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 AM

Registered SVX

Are the slotted and cross drilled ones that are like 150 a pair not better than stock? I'll let you know what i get, how much it cost and how good it is.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:44 AM

Registered SVX

I think i am just going to go with all new stock stuff. The calipers rotors and pads come to $507. I guess with everything new, it should stop good. I have a caliper sticking on the front and all the rotors are messed up. Whoever had the car ran the brakes all the way to the metal. It had new pads on it when i got it but with the rotors all grinded up and the caliper sticking, it just doesnt stop that good.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs92svx View Post
I think i am just going to go with all new stock stuff. The calipers rotors and pads come to $507. I guess with everything new, it should stop good. I have a caliper sticking on the front and all the rotors are messed up. Whoever had the car ran the brakes all the way to the metal. It had new pads on it when i got it but with the rotors all grinded up and the caliper sticking, it just doesnt stop that good.
Sometimes as they age the lines begin to act like one way valves which stops the fluid and thus pads from retreating when the brake is no longer being applied. Typical symptom of this is premature pad wear and hot wheel from the constant friction. It also give the brakes a less firm feel. Same sort of thing can happen in the master cylinder.

If you are replacing all rotors & pads replacing the lines doesn't add that much too the cost.

I am really pleased with my Cryogenic rotors from ART. About the same price as OEM but last a lot longer.

If you go with re-manufactured callipers I strongly suggest you paint them with calliper or engine paint. The surface on re-mans is shot blasted and rusts very quickly. The centric callipers loaded with pads are reasonably priced. If you buy them trough ART they will pay the shipping back on the cores.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Sometimes as they age the lines begin to act like one way valves which stops the fluid and thus pads from retreating when the brake is no longer being applied. Typical symptom of this is premature pad wear and hot wheel from the constant friction. It also give the brakes a less firm feel. Same sort of thing can happen in the master cylinder.

If you are replacing all rotors & pads replacing the lines doesn't add that much too the cost.

I am really pleased with my Cryogenic rotors from ART. About the same price as OEM but last a lot longer.

If you go with re-manufactured callipers I strongly suggest you paint them with calliper or engine paint. The surface on re-mans is shot blasted and rusts very quickly. The centric callipers loaded with pads are reasonably priced. If you buy them trough ART they will pay the shipping back on the cores.
thanks for the info. Are you talking about the rubber brake lines? I just put a new master cylinder on it the other day. I am going to check into those brakes you mentioned.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
thanks for the info. Are you talking about the rubber brake lines?
Yes, the rubber lines. I just replaced mine with stainless when I did my brakes a few months ago.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Are the slotted and cross drilled ones that are like 150 a pair not better than stock? I'll let you know what i get, how much it cost and how good it is.
When you talk about brake kits, it usually involves upgraded calipers, bigger rotors, etc. Yes, slotted/dimpled rotors will be better with ceramic pads, but not significantly better like an actual big brake kit...
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Registered SVX

yeah, i didnt really mean "Big" brake kit, I meant just better calipers, rotors and pads than stock. I would like to actually get a big brake kit like some big 4 or 6 piston brembo's. That would be awesome.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

I guess we decided that WRX/STI brake calipers/rotors don't fit our cars? I feel like that would be a cheaper solution.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I guess we decided that WRX/STI brake calipers/rotors don't fit our cars? I feel like that would be a cheaper solution.
not without significant modification...

If you would like to try, I have complete WRX hubs with calipers, slotted rotors,pads and axles that I'm willing to sell pretty cheap that I got with a WRX trans.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

It's strange that the calipers don't just bolt right up. Even the newer STI calipers bolt up to the early 90's impreza hubs.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi