How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
clarkerussell

I'm ready to do this now...

OK, I'm ready to tackle this portion of my list of repairs... This is part one of two in ending several oil leaks... Today the list consists of:

1) Rocker cover gasket set
2) New Plugs
3) New timing belt
4) ALL front engine seals (Cam seals, oil pump seal... anything else?)

Is there anything else I should replace at the same time that I'm replacing the rocker covers?

After looking at the pictures, it looks like the cam seals are replaceable at the same time... is that correct, or is that something that should be done at a different time?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:42 PM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball
In case anyone is interested, RockAuto sells a Corteco valve cover set with grommets for $58.79 + s/h. I've been ordering stuff from them and the Corteco stuff is high quality and fits perfectly.

If your grommets are hard as rock as mine were it's almost $40 + s/h to get them from Subaruparts.com. Add the cost of the other gaskets and the Corteco set is way cheaper.
So this set includes all 26 pieces? The 3 gaskets and 10 bolt grommets per side? If so, that's almost $40 cheaper than subaruparts.com! Are they just like the OEM ones, or are they some sory of univeral part?

RockAuto also lists about 4 different makes of timing belts for our cars. They are only about $15 cheaper than Subaruparts.com for the Gates belt. Oddly, there is another Gates Belt that is the same price as subaruparts.com. Does anyone have a suggestion about these parts? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 04-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell
So this set includes all 26 pieces? The 3 gaskets and 10 bolt grommets per side? If so, that's almost $40 cheaper than subaruparts.com! Are they just like the OEM ones, or are they some sory of univeral part?
That's what I changed on my car this past weekend. Took me all weekend because I upgraded my engine mounts in the process.

Don't forget to have something to clean all the oil off the floor!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
I searched the threads for em and found bits and pieces, but not a complete explanation on how to do it other than 'remove 3 coil packs' and 10 bolts, but I need more info as i'm less mechanically gifted than you all (Although i'm sure I can do it with proper instruction) If anyone can please help I would be eternally grateful: Can you give me a step by step procedure like those How-To documents? What is a coil pack and how do I remove it safely? What are some things I need to be very careful about? How do I remove/install the gaskets? Can I get a complete part # list?

I know that you remove 10 bolts or what not... But got confused as to exactly how to take out the gasket and how to secure the cover as you unbolt it (its a small space in there) Any tips and help will be appreciated!!!
Wow!... u r right around the corner. BTW I am from San Rafael (yeh its there in my siggi). I too have to do the driver's side valve covers job. We can meet up some time and do the work. I come down to paul's (92svx95) house sometimes to work on our svxes. He lives in fremont and I also often come down to Sunnyvale to my friend's house on weekends. Lemme know when you are gonna do the valve covers job. I may comedown and join with you, if you dont mind .

BTW I still have to order the parts, but not sure from where. Two places are listed over here to order. Which one is the better one, I am not bothered about the price, but I need one which is good and lasts longer. What parts should I have to order to change only on one side (driver's side) and do you think its a good idea to replace spark plugs too at the same time?

-Pavan

Last edited by pavanbabut; 04-20-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
chiketd, that pic of the exposed camshafts is beautiful! Great write up, so good i may just attempt it on my own! Oh is there a special grease that should be applied when reinstalling the new seals (rubber gaskets essentially right?)
Old 04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
chiketd, that pic of the exposed camshafts is beautiful! Great write up, so good i may just attempt it on my own! Oh is there a special grease that should be applied when reinstalling the new seals (rubber gaskets essentially right?)
Thanks. No special grease. You could run a little engine oil over them to make 'em slide in easier.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Thanks. No special grease. You could run a little engine oil over them to make 'em slide in easier.
Did you use the OEM seals, or did you go with the aftermarket ones? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
OEM everything here.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell
Did you use the OEM seals, or did you go with the aftermarket ones? Thanks.
Like David mentioned - I used OEM gaskets.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-23-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF
These prices are from www.Subaruparts.com. Good prices and fast delivery.

Hope this helps for a parts list.

Steve
What part#s should I have to order from the above list for only driver's side valve cover job?? Also if a part is specified as RH, is it for the driver's side (I mean looking from the front of the car)??

thanks,
-Pavan

Last edited by pavanbabut; 04-23-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Valve cover gaskets

Its funny that this thread about replacing the valve cover gaskets was here the same time I replaced mine. Its true that it is a 5 difficulty out of 10. The rear bolts give you the most trouble and you will spend the most time getting those off and on. I took off the undercarriage cover and tighten some from the bottom as well. And if you are thinking of replacing the spark plugs this is the time to do so because you will now have much more room to do so and it will take less then 5 minutes a plug to exchange them. I had the Bosch plugs and replaced them with the NGK iriidiums, and while I was there I replaced the knock sensors as well, and it runs much better, as well as idleing better. It idles like it isn't even running. I can't wait to climb a hill at full throttle and not smell burning oil at the end.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 04-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
What part#s should I have to order from the above list for only driver's side valve cover job?? Also if a part is specified as RH, is it for the driver's side (I mean looking from the front of the car)??

thanks,
-Pavan

Here is a list to do both sides. The top three parts are for the driver side and you only need 10 of the washers, 4th item. The last three are for the passenger side.

There should be 20 washer not the default of 16.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there

Last edited by SVX-FF; 04-24-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:12 PM

Thanks Steve.. will order them this weekend. I am getting very horrible mileage, whtelse do you think I can change at the sametime and have some better fuel efficiency??
thanks,
-Pavan
Old 04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Bad gas mileage. I would look into O2 sensors if you are close to 80,000. I changed mine with a tune up and got about 17 mpg town/highway mix. I would get oem on them too. The one that you have to cut wires on I never liked.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF
Here is a list to do both sides. The top three parts are for the driver side and you only need 10 of the washers, 4th item. The last three are for the passenger side.

You need 20 washers total...not 16