Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-06-2005, 05:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Misc. Ramblings - First Snow

The first snow fell in the Phila. area last night. This morning it was only 28 deg. F at 5:30 AM when I backed SVXY out of the driveway and headed to work. There was only about an inch of snow on the cars and the roads were basically clear but icy. As usual, the SVX performed beautifully. I kept the speeds down to 65-70mph. Typically, a frustrated Eagles fan in a mini-van was trying everything to kill himself by driving stupidly on icy roads.
When will Philly area people learn to drive in inclement weather?
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:11 AM
<<<Alcyone

The local ski resort where my wife works got about 4-5 feet of snow last weekend. I wanted to try out the Teal with the studs in the snow so I drove her to work.

They were doing a really good job at keeping the roads clear, the most I got to drive in was about 6".

The SVX ruled the road! I kept passing people all the way up the hill. I had chains with me just to be legal, but never even considered puttng them on.

What a mistake . . . the wife has given up on the LandCruiser . . . I can hardly wait for Spring so I can drive the Teal again!

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII
Typically, a frustrated Eagles fan in a mini-van was trying everything to kill himself by driving stupidly on icy roads.
When will Philly area people learn to drive in inclement weather?

LOL oh boy

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII
...When will Philly area people learn to drive in inclement weather?
When the Eagles win the Super Bowl
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Total opposite here in Ohio.. if a cloud spits one single drop out of the sky, every car on the road goes 10 below the speed limit. During healthy downpours I know I'd better leave for work a good twenty minutes early.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:32 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
When the Eagles win the Super Bowl
Easy there Hocrest. Not all us PA people are dumbasses. Some of us can drive inclement weather and not hold up traffic.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Quote:
Dusts ricers in a snowstorm (as long as they don't have AWD and aren't SVX's)
But what if their driving FWD SVX's... then u can dust them right?

last night was my first drive with the SVX in snow... And I must say that with 3 inches on the road it never lost its footing... although it aggravates me that it will spin one front and one rear tire.... I want locking differentials like the STi's.....
Old 12-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
Easy there Hocrest. Not all us PA people are dumbasses. Some of us can drive inclement weather and not hold up traffic.
Yeah I know, but his original post referred to "Philly Area drivers"
Old 12-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
.... I want locking differentials like the STi's.....
The rear diff is limited slip...I just don't think it's very strong. I wouldn't mind having limited slip in the front as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:19 PM

Registered SVX
We had a storm come through last week and left about 5-6" of wet snow here and I drove my wife's SVX to work because she wanted the Disco to pick up the kids after school with. Anyway I had just put on new BFG Traction T/A's about a month ago and was excited to see how they did in the snow and they worked great!! Sounds nice and toasty in PA., it was -16 here in Casper this morning.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 12-07-2005, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I don't know about the rear not being "strong" enough. When I step on the gas, all 4 wheels spin right away. If you guys are getting single wheel spin and taking a long time to get up to speed, then there may be a problem. KC just had it's first 4-5 inches today and I drove my SVX up a big hill, around numerous trucks, suvs, and minivans all stuck near the top and spinning their wheels getting nowhere. And this wasn't with any built up speed, as I had stopped just behind the mess to assess possible escape routes.

As for having limited slip fronts, it would make the SVX understeer way too much, especially at speeds or on slippery surfaces. Now a switchable LSD at the front might be cool to have.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
The rear diff is limited slip...I just don't think it's very strong. I wouldn't mind having limited slip in the front as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:41 PM

I meant to post a similar thread earlier - we got a couple inches up by me last week, and I live in a little development that's EXTREMELY rural - it didn't get plowed...and then it froze. So basically, I have a neat little road course to test out the SVX. I intentionally tried to get it sideways, and could, but with a lot of effort, and never really felt out of control. I'm fully prepared for the 6" we're supposed to get tomorrow night into Friday.

As a side note, the wife took the last corner a little too fast in her Acura TL and nearly ended up going off-road into the woods. So the roads are *very* slippery. I'm also pretty impressed with the Falken Viex's that I had put on.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 AM

Registered SVX
I have been parking SVXY on the street in front of the house. There is a lamp post on the other side of the next house. When I get up at 4:30 AM I look out the bedroom window to check on the SVX. The other morning there was frost on the car, and in the low lamp post light, the roof looked white pearl to match the rest of the car. The trunk and spoiler still looked black . I think that the car would look good with a white pearl roof, black trunk spoiler and windows.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
As for having limited slip fronts, it would make the SVX understeer way too much, especially at speeds or on slippery surfaces. Now a switchable LSD at the front might be cool to have.
For the 4EAT this is true. The 5MT and especially the 6MT tend to make the car more rear biased.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:45 AM

Registered SVX
Talking Misc. Ramblings - SVXY in snow 2

The Phila area roads were terible this morning. Visibility was poor at best and the roads were snowy/icy. The tires on SVXY are Yoko AVS dB S2s with about 20+K on them. I would say that they were fair to just ok in snow when new. Now I would say that they are just fair. My drive to work is 33 miles on I-95 and I-476 (Blue Rte.). The road surfaces were white. I kept the speed down to 35-40 mph and was still passing most people except for a few cazies in SUVs and pickup trucks. Going faster would produce loss of traction. I could feel the tires starting to lose grip. The SVX is a wonderful car for lousy weather. I just wish that somehow the rotten weather would not make it so dirty. Keeping the white pearl & ebony paint clean in winter is taxing.
The bad think about driving the SVX in this kind of weather is the styling of the car. The car is so low and the front styling is so aerodynamic that the headlights crud over due to the spray from traffic in front. I wish it had a headlight wiper/washer system.

It took almost an hour ro get into work. The place is almost deserted as I type this. The funny part is that when I got into the office complex at work, the snow removal contractor was out in force with a myriad of plows on pickup trucks and old Jeeps and had the streets almost all clear down to the blacktop. I wish that the state highway depts' were half as good.

PS: On 8 days to the NJ Shore SVX Meet (Should we bring swimsuits?.... Just the thought of Larry III in a Speedo is enough to make strong men heave.)