How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Doshey Mcgee

Unhappy Engine dies while driving...

Hey everybody! First I'd like to thank everyone for posting their most helpful information on this forum. I've saved bookoo bucks doing things myself having learned how to do it here.
I've got a '92 Lsi that just started dying whenever and wherever it wants to. It'll die sitting at intersections, it'll die doing 75MPH on the Interestate, it'll die when it's cold, it'll die when it's at operating temperature, it dies at 10,000 ft altitude, it dies at 6,000 ft altitude, in short, there's no common denominator. I'm afraid that the engine controller computer is going bad. Does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks and God bless.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
First, check the PVC valve and EGR recirc. hoses. Then worry about the computer.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:04 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

That dosen't sound to good... Yea, I would check the PCV valve... That would probably help things a bit... How many miles are on your car??? What sort of conditions is the car usually in???

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Doshey Mcgee

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll have to check that out. To answer GreenMarineSVX's questions, she nearly has 160K miles and I live in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, so temperatures can vary greatly, lots of hills and bumpy roads. I'm as gentle on her as I can be, and I try to stay right on top of getting the oil changed, ETC. I do know that the spark plugs are good because I put new ones in last summer.
In concordance with my current problem, I just changed the fuel filter, oil, oil filter, put fuel injector cleaner in the tank, checked tranny fluid and checked the air filter, then took her for a test drive. She didn't die on me, but this problem has been so flakey that I can't say I've driven her enough to be certain that all took care of it. Thank you all for your help! Hopfully, I will have good news the next time I post. :-)
Old 01-19-2004, 06:13 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Yea, I would look at the PCV valve... even if the problem doesn't come back for a while...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-21-2004, 12:08 PM
6evil9

hey GReenMarine

what does PCV has to do with car stalling?

mine kinda stalls too, not at 75MPH, it does not stall , but revs drop to 1000rpms sometimes by itself...

just wounder what can bad PCV to do with that?

thx
Old 01-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Could this be another problematic MAF sensor?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:48 PM
rperry03

When it runs, how does it idle, and does it idle?
Old 01-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Doshey Mcgee

Hi again! Well, for 4 days she didn't die. Now she's dying whenever she wants to again. A buddy of mine suggested that I disconnect the battery for an extended period of time to see if the computer just needed a reset. I inquired about the PCV valve and I was told that since I'm not experiencing rough idle or sputters, that shouldn't be the case. If the computer reset doesn't work, I'll check the valve anyways. I find it interesting to note that it wasn't until after I filled the fuel tank again that she started dying. I wonder if the fuel system cleaner was enough to neutralize the possible existence of water in the system. I might try putting some Heet® or something in there, but I need to check and make sure it's fuel injector safe. God bless,
- Doshey
Old 01-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
you could have a short in your fuel injection. Run a few tests and see if ur fuel pump is acting up.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:41 PM
6evil9

so have u found the solution?

coz im joining u with the problem

had only rough idle, now car dies all the time on 91 and 96 petrol
98 seemed to be better...

can there be a water in the fuel? that cant get out?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Doshey Mcgee

Hi again, everyone. Well, I tried disconnecting the battery overnight to let the computer reset. That didn't help. I put some Heet® (didn't want to, but had to) in the tank and that didn't help. So, I guess when I get some time I'll check the PCV valve. Here's the interesting part that makes no sense to me: When I reconnected the battery and drove to church, it died 3 times on the way. So, I stopped and got some Heet® and when I tried to start the engine again there was no response. I turned on the lights and nothing came on so I figured I didn't put the battery back together quite right. The battery connections weren't loose, but I loosened them anyways and wiggled them then tightend them up real good. Boom, car starts just fine, but still dies whenever she wants to. I halfway wonder if this could be a battery cable/alternator/something-along-those-lines problem. The postive cable end has a very mild amount of corrosion on it, but I wouldn't think it's anywhere near enough to cause probs. Anyways, thanks everyone, and God bless

-Doshey
Old 01-26-2004, 09:53 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
engine dies

We had a MAF that went bad, and the engine would die at 80, or 0. A subaru select moniter would show what goes wrong.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Dude,

Check the easy stuff first...like battery and ground connections. Clean the batt terms real well for starters.

Ali
'92

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 02-15-2004, 09:09 PM
njboys808

MAF-MAF-MAF