How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-15-2004, 10:57 PM
mtbikerco

How to put in a new alarm?

I just bought an aftermarket alarm for my svx. It has remote start and automatic window roll up. I know most of you will say get it professionally done but I really want to learn how to do this on my car. Does anyone know how the stock alarm is wired or have wiring diagrams for it? Also, if anyone has any information on how to install an alarm (the manual says practically nothing) in a car. If anyone knows anything about how to hook this new alarm up as easily as possible, i will be very greatful.

Thank you
Old 01-16-2004, 05:42 AM

brand of the alarm you bought?

if it's a DEI owned company I can probably help some with the alarm (that's what I put in my car)...however, never done the remote start, window up thing, just security and door locking.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:35 AM
mtbikerco

alarm type

its a panther ps-5000. Thats all really know about it, i can take pictures if that helps.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:12 AM

sorry, don't know that brand. without a manual I couldn't be much help.

I did post two files in my personal locker that may help you.

DEI wiring.pdf lists what the pins on the DEI alarm are for

SVX-DEI wiring.pdf then shows how to connect the DEI alarm to the SVX factory wiring.

maybe between these two and your manaual you can figure out how to do the wiring.

you might want to join the forum here: http://www.the12volt.com

there's a fair amount of alarm data online there
Old 01-16-2004, 10:57 AM
mtbikerco

alarm

thank you, i will check out that site and join the forum there, it seems they have a lot of data. i printed out your documents, thank you for posting them up. I think they will help out a lot.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:05 AM
mtbikerco

locations

Do you know the general location of where i put the basic wires, and where the brains module is for the stock alarm? Do you know where the ignition wire is? is that coming from the fuse box or the actual ignition. I apologize for my ignorence but i have never done a car alarm install, tons of stereos but alarms are a whole new bag for me.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:54 AM

Re: locations

Quote:
Originally posted by mtbikerco
Do you know the general location of where i put the basic wires, and where the brains module is for the stock alarm? Do you know where the ignition wire is? is that coming from the fuse box or the actual ignition. I apologize for my ignorence but i have never done a car alarm install, tons of stereos but alarms are a whole new bag for me.
I removed my OEM alarm, and since it was trashed, I cut off the circuit board and soldered wires from the DEI/Rattler alarm to the pins as shown on the diagram. Then I just plugged it back into the SVX OEM Socket. Two advantages. First, wiring is done outside the car, so much easier to solder. And two, should someone ever wantt o put back the stock SVX alarm all they have to do is unplug the Rattler and shove in the stock box. Using this scheme didn't need to know ignition wire, etc. But then I don't have remote start, etc., and I don't know a best way to find them.