SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Thumbs down So I raced a neon...

I raced a stock Neon... got destroyed off the line. On the highway, the neon got destroyed by the SVX.

Just as I had thought.

Anyway, I also raced a neon with a couple bolt ons and a stage 1 turbo kit. Destroyed off the line. Destroyed on the highway. Dammit.

- Rob
Old 08-05-2003, 04:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
What stock Neon did you race? I just don't get it... I've never been beaten by a Neon (off the line OR on the freeway). I even dusted an R/T with some bolt-ons and a 5 speed (although he kept up MUCH better than any of the others). I am sure a 2.4 swap or a turbo one would obliterate any SVX, though.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 08-05-2003, 04:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Oh, seen any SRT-4's? I've still only seen 1... same day I saw 2 STi's on a transporter. Pretty cool day.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
i raced both.
the stock neon had slight mods, exhaust, intake, 5 spd, etc.
i smoked him first, then he took me ever so slightly the second time, and it was even the third.
anything short of the 5spd probably wont keep an srt4 at bay.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

It was an SOHC with a 5spd. It did have an exhaust, but other than that it was stock. It leapt out ahead.. and stayed ahead... and then I started gaining. SOHCs actually have more torque down low, and the DOHC is better at top end stuff. I'd say it really depends on whether or not the neon driver can drive a stickshift really well.

- Rob
Old 08-05-2003, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
It was an SOHC with a 5spd. It did have an exhaust, but other than that it was stock. It leapt out ahead.. and stayed ahead... and then I started gaining. SOHCs actually have more torque down low, and the DOHC is better at top end stuff. I'd say it really depends on whether or not the neon driver can drive a stickshift really well.

- Rob
That is what I thought (about the SOHC and DOHC thing). Yeah, the R/T may have pulled ahead a bit if he was a great shifter... but he sounded to be shifting well, maybe a little too early or something (I couldn't tell, or remember now). The autos aren't too bad either... pretty good when cruising (good firm shifts too). I can't stand driving Neons, though... it just feels so... weird to me.

Old 08-05-2003, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
i raced both.
the stock neon had slight mods, exhaust, intake, 5 spd, etc.
i smoked him first, then he took me ever so slightly the second time, and it was even the third.
anything short of the 5spd probably wont keep an srt4 at bay.
I don't think anything (currently), except maybe nitrous, will allow a SVX to hold a SRT-4 at bay.

Were you're races from a stop and only up to 60 mph or something?

Old 08-06-2003, 02:20 PM
SVX26517

yeah i just started to drive a stick shift last night, it was fun, stalled a couple of times but it reminded me of whats fun in life.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
svxstl

neons...

at least i can count on my svx to last more than 50,000 miles
Old 08-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: neons...

Quote:
Originally posted by svxstl
at least i can count on my svx to last more than 50,000 miles
I had a neon before my SVX. Got it with 22k, sold it with 102k. Worked fine, no problems. I know a few neon owners who have 170kish on their cars. Same engine. Transmission. In fact, I'd say on average, they're more reliable than the SVX. But they're cheap cars, and the interior will not let you forget that.

- Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8

I don't think anything (currently), except maybe nitrous, will allow a SVX to hold a SRT-4 at bay.

Were you're races from a stop and only up to 60 mph or something?
It depends if you catch a BRAND NEW SRt4 or not... if they're brand new, they aren't supposed to run them very hard during break in period, so you could probably beat one (or watch the owner trade 15k of engine life to beat yours!).

Anyway, yeah, they were from a stop. Its kinda weird. At the neon convention there were about 7-9 SRT4s there..... I think... Some ran 13s... some ran 14s... and one ran a 15.4. I have no idea why, I think he misshifted.

- Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 04:07 PM
svxstl

Re: Re: neons...

Quote:

I had a neon before my SVX. Got it with 22k, sold it with 102k. Worked fine, no problems. I know a few neon owners who have 170kish on their cars. Same engine. Transmission. In fact, I'd say on average, they're more reliable than the SVX. But they're cheap cars, and the interior will not let you forget that.

- Rob
My post comes from experience--my girlfriend has a 98 neon that has "only" 57k on it. It also has a leaking rear main seal, a cracked exhaust manifold, and no air conditioner at the moment. Since she got it, she's also replaced the head gasket (at least *that* was under warranty), an EGR valve and oil sensor, and fixed an oil leak (I forget where).

I can't say that this history holds for all neons, but we're sure as hell getting ready to sell ours and probably won't be buying another dodge/chrysler product again.

Of course, I've spent $3k on my SVX over the past year but it was nothing that would have left me stranded (like a cracked exhaust manifold), and my car's got 90k on it.

Dan
Old 08-06-2003, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: neons...

Quote:
Originally posted by svxstl

My post comes from experience--my girlfriend has a 98 neon that has "only" 57k on it. It also has a leaking rear main seal, a cracked exhaust manifold, and no air conditioner at the moment. Since she got it, she's also replaced the head gasket (at least *that* was under warranty), an EGR valve and oil sensor, and fixed an oil leak (I forget where).

I can't say that this history holds for all neons, but we're sure as hell getting ready to sell ours and probably won't be buying another dodge/chrysler product again.

Of course, I've spent $3k on my SVX over the past year but it was nothing that would have left me stranded (like a cracked exhaust manifold), and my car's got 90k on it.

Dan
I can honestly say that my SVX (and Aurora) seem to have a lot more problems than either of my friends' Neons (a '95 and a '99). They are plagued by head gaskets going and squeaky brakes, among some other problems... but what can you expect from a Neon (they're cheap). When my other cars are running really well, they seem to run much nicer than I've ever see a Neon run (even when brand new)... but that doesn't last long. That, and Neons are so much cheaper and easier to repair... but I'll stick with my SVX. Neons aren't bad if you don't care about having a "nice" car. Sorry Rob, but you know what I mean, right?

Old 08-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Well, sure, you have to replace a few things, but I think that's normal with any car. My neons headgasket went (bad design, the updated it with the MLS gasket, and I made sure they put int he MLS when it went in under warranty), but with the updated design that is no longer a problem. Ever. I also had the exhaust donut go, but that was because I raced the car, and sorta 'wore out' the front motor mount. The solution was to fill the motor mount (less engine movement) and replace the exhaust donut (cost: $12). As for the leaks, every Subaru I've seen leaks. And... honestly, I'd rather do replace all that stuff than have to deal with a dead transmission in an SVX.

Sure. Little things go wrong. BUt its not like they have SVX transmissions.

- Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 04:36 PM

Quote:

It depends if you catch a BRAND NEW SRt4 or not... if they're brand new, they aren't supposed to run them very hard during break in period, so you could probably beat one (or watch the owner trade 15k of engine life to beat yours!).

Anyway, yeah, they were from a stop. Its kinda weird. At the neon convention there were about 7-9 SRT4s there..... I think... Some ran 13s... some ran 14s... and one ran a 15.4. I have no idea why, I think he misshifted.

- Rob
I don't see brand new SRT-4s, let alone broken in ones. I'm sure there would be plenty of dumb arse-holes that would rod on a brand new one to beat an SVX... you know high school kids with the new car mommy and daddy bough 'em for getting D's in school and just turning 16.

They should be capable of mid to low 14's stock, right? There are already guys easily in the 13's? I like the 15.4... much easier to compete with.