How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-11-2003, 10:18 AM
JLittell

Driving Age is going to be 18??

I heard a rumor that the driving age here in Colorado is going to change to 18 in the next 2 years??

Is this true?

Does any other U.S. State have an over 18 law for a standard drivers license?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: Driving Age is going to be 18??

Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
I heard a rumor that the driving age here in Colorado is going to change to 18 in the next 2 years??

Is this true?

Does any other U.S. State have an over 18 law for a standard drivers license?
A few years ago Wisconsin adopted a graduated driver license program. Basically licensed teenagers can't be driving after a certain time (I think it is midnight).

I don't think it works very well from what I remember reading...

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

In PA you can get your permit at age 16 but you have to wait 6 month's and have a minimum of 500 miles of driving time to get your license.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:43 AM
JLittell

I think to obtain a permit here is 15 1/2 years?? How would you be able to enforce the midnight curfew unless you got pulled over for a different violation...Ohhh I seeee....our tax dollars are hard at work again!!

Last edited by JLittell; 07-11-2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:11 AM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Remember that Colorado is the silly state that's gone to 10 year licenses. I know that I'll change significantly in 10 years. I ask you, is that smart?

~~M

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 07-11-2003, 11:15 AM
JLittell

What a bunch of yahooos!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:08 PM

I've heard that rumor also, about 5 years ago.
It would be nice if it actually happens.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
If they do that they should have a mandatory 'test' for anyone over 55 years old. >:|

I saw an old woman today almost cause THREE ACCIDENTS in a one minute time frame. ARGH.

- Rob
Old 07-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Superbeast

What do you fear more. The driver who obays all traffic laws except for the revinue generating low speed limits, or the one who does 5mph below the speed limit, stops at yeild signs, can't get up to matching speed getting on the highway, and has know idea what a freaking turn signal is?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I look like Gordon

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
What do you fear more. The driver who obays all traffic laws except for the revinue generating low speed limits, or the one who does 5mph below the speed limit, stops at yeild signs, can't get up to matching speed getting on the highway, and has know idea what a freaking turn signal is?
I fear the woman I saw pulling out of a side street on my way to work a few months ago. She was obviously oblivious to the fact that she had a steaming mug of coffee sitting on her hood not two feet from her face.

I said obviously oblivious. That's pretty cool.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:57 PM

I fear the jerk tonight that tried to squeeze his large van between me, in one right turn lane, and another car next to me in the other right turn lane. (There were two turn lanes ) When I and the other car weren't making a right turn on red, the guy in the van must have thought we were day dreaming hence he decided to try and squeeze between the two of us. The funny thing was that it was a NO TURN ON RED!!! I wish people would pay attention to the damn signs.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 07-12-2003 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Unstoppable

NY is about to get a lot tougher on young drivers. It's been rumored for a while now, but its actually going to take effect on Sep. 1 of this year. It used to be you could get your permit at 16, and your license anytime after that. With the permit, you could drive with anyone 18 or older. When getting your driver's license, if you were under 18, you would receive a junior license (class DJ) which stated you could not drive after 9, unless you were attending a credit-bearing school activity (basically a class). When you turned 18 you would receive a regular license (class D). You could get your junior license turned into a regular license at 17 by taking a driver's ed course. But here are the new rules, taken from the DMV website

You must be age 16 or over to drive in NYS. If you have a learner permit or a driver license from another state, you are not exempt from this rule. Drivers under the age of 18 must obey the restrictions described in the DMV brochure, Learner Permits and Junior Licenses. An out-of-state driver under the age of 18 must also obey all restrictions of the state that issued the driver license.

Graduated Licensing Law: A new graduated licensing law begins in NYS on September 1, 2003. The law affects how drivers under the age of 18 ("junior drivers") receive senior driving privileges and changes the restrictions on junior drivers. Junior drivers are drivers who have a driver license or a learner permit of Class DJ or Class MJ.

On September 1, 2003, these new rules will apply to all junior drivers: ·

A junior driver cannot operate a vehicle that has more than two passengers who are under the age of 21 unless a parent, a guardian, or a driving instructor also rides in the vehicle. There is an exception to this rule if the passengers are immediate family members.
When the law requires supervision of the junior driver, only the supervising driver can ride in the front seat. The supervising driver must be 21 years of age or older and must have a valid driver license.
All passengers that ride with a junior driver must use the correct safety restraints (seat belts or child safety seats).
These new rules will apply to junior drivers who get learner permits that are issued on or after September 1, 2003: ·

A driver with a Class DJ or Class MJ learner permit must bring to the road test a statement that certifies that the driver has enough driving experience. The statement must certify that the junior driver had a minimum of 20 hours of supervised driving experience. The supervising driver must be a driver qualified by the law to supervise a junior driver. A parent or a legal guardian of the junior driver must sign the statement.
The DMV will issue a limited-use junior license to a junior driver who passes a road test during the first six months after the learner permit was issued. A limited-use junior license allows the junior driver to drive without supervision during specific hours of the day and within specific geographical boundaries. A supervising driver must supervise the junior driver at all other times. Six months after the learner permit of that driver was issued, the DMV will issue a normal junior license to replace the limited-use junior license.
When a junior driver passes a road test more than six months after the learner permit was issued, the DMV issues a normal junior license.
An additional change in the law begins on September 1, 2003 and affects all drivers with a learner permit. The change in the law requires that a supervising driver must be 21 years of age or older. The current law allows a supervising driver to be 18 years of age or older.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 07-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Superbeast

And on the topic: 80something year old man kills 8 people and injers several more in California, when he plows through a crowded market place today. Why don't they retest the elderly?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:36 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
like nubs said you have to have your permit for 6 months and "50 hours" but they dont even check your hours. youre supposed to log them and all this ****, but all ya gotta do is have ur parents sign this thing. i dont think i drove 50 hours in my 6 months

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: