IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Bad Power Steering Pump?

I don't hear this noise when I first start the car but after it warms up I start to hear a rattle noise like ball bearings rattling around in the engine area. I think I narrowed it down to the area near the power Steering Pump. It appears to quiet down when I turn the steering wheel slightly. Like it appears to go away slightly when I am putting pressure on the pump/belts? Does that sound right? I also put my hand on the pump and believe that I can feel the rattle from that area. I checked the fluid and it was low so I added fluid. Don't know if I destroyed the pump because It was low on fluid. What do you think? If you think it is the pump, does anyone have a good one for sale that I can buy? Don't want to buy a brand new one if that is not the problem. If you guys are pretty certain that it is the pump, I will spring for a new one. If so, does anyone know the part number? Thanks guys. I guess I will have to find a new mechanic to install this for me since my main man YT shut down his operation.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Re: Bad Power Steering Pump?

If you could get a video or a sound clip of the noise that would help.

Its difficult to diagnose without hearing the noise. If you firmly believe its the p/s pump start with replacing the o ring between the pump and the reservior.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM

I just sent one of my good ones to NorthUrsalia. I guess I could part with another pump.

'05 STI
'00 2.5RS
Old 02-22-2011, 05:25 AM

Before you fiddle with the pump, be sure the belt tensioner pulley immediately below it is spinning quietly and free.

dcb
Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Before you fiddle with the pump, be sure the belt tensioner pulley immediately below it is spinning quietly and free.

dcb
Thanks. I think I will try this first because as I said before, the noise seems to go away a little when I turn the wheel and put "Tension" on the steering. I am not very familiar with these cars, that is why I had YT do all all my work for me. I will try to look at this myself so I have a few questions: Do I check to see if it is spinning freely with the engine off? Do I need to take anything off to get to this pulley?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 AM

Not running. Remove the PS/ALT belt and spin the tensioner pulley to be sure it rotates freely and silently; if binding or noisy it needs to be replaced. Not likely to be affected by turning the steering wheel; just something to rule out before assuming the pump is shot.

dcb