How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: How is an EGR stuck open/closed code set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Question: Does anyone know if the vacuum to the EGR valve itself is supposed to be constant or modulated? The vacuum TO the vacuum control valve is constant, but from the VCV to the EGR the vacuum modulates and is not nearly as strong.
It's a modulated duty cycle signal, Chris.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
It's a modulated duty cycle signal, Chris.

Harvey.
Thanks Harvey

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Another tough one..... cant find anything in the service manual.

What is ther proper resistance range for the EGR temperature sensor ? Would love to know so I can either keep or junk mine.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Well, in case anyone wants to dive into their EGR system, I would recommend checking the tube from the EGR to the temp sensor, and then to the manifold. Mine was FULL of black goo, which was half black oil, half sooty grit looking resin. I took a weedwhacker line and pipe-snaked it out and OMFG you should have seen what I pulled out of there.

This all stemmed from my last resort 2nd yank of my entire EGR system to see why the damn code keeps coming back. I hope this was the problem, because the exhaust passge all the way to the manifold was clogged with goop. I snaked it, and hosed it out with Brakekleen... we will see if that finally does it. Theres nothing else I can possibly do.... I have redone the entire system.

Next up, see what the inside of my intake manifold looks like

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Well, in case anyone wants to dive into their EGR system, I would recommend checking the tube from the EGR to the temp sensor, and then to the manifold. Mine was FULL of black goo, which was half black oil, half sooty grit looking resin. I took a weedwhacker line and pipe-snaked it out and OMFG you should have seen what I pulled out of there.

This all stemmed from my last resort 2nd yank of my entire EGR system to see why the damn code keeps coming back. I hope this was the problem, because the exhaust passge all the way to the manifold was clogged with goop. I snaked it, and hosed it out with Brakekleen... we will see if that finally does it. Theres nothing else I can possibly do.... I have redone the entire system.

Next up, see what the inside of my intake manifold looks like
Yea, that is typical when you are burning oil or coolant to get that build-up in the lines. The soot is simply carbon from the exhaust but mixed with liquids makes a nasty paste. MacGuyver was having similar issues and i pulled his EGR when we did his Headgaskets and found it all kinds of back up with crap.

I would imagine that it worked its way up into the intake manifold tracks and it probably nice and gummed up in there too

Tom
Old 08-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I guess that would stop the temp sensor from knowing.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

I would imagine that it worked its way up into the intake manifold tracks and it probably nice and gummed up in there too

Tom
Then the next course of action shall to be to yank the intake manifold and give it a thorough scrubbing, and finally check and clean the valves and solenoids hidden underneath. Ive been dying to get to the Bypass air control system and eliminate that as my idle issue cause.

I havent yet R&R'd the EG33 manifold yet, whats the time estimate on pulling it? Ive read its best to leave the injectors and fuel rails on there? Or something like that....

Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Well wouldnt ya know it, after 5 days of clear driving, the EGR code returned once again. The bane of my cars existence (since ive had it). This leads me to one more question:

The EGR inlet to the intake manifold, from the temp sensor to the intake, looks like it only goes into the rearmost cylinder (#6?). When I cleaned the gunk from this passage, I only put the plastic rod in 3 inches or so.... enough to where it looked like it was going into the main intake passage. This doesnt make sense to me now.... so is that passage from the temp sensor to the intake longer.... does it go to the middle of the intake manifold or something? Ive never had mine off..... I cant think of any other thing I havent already covered to get rid of the %$#&%$* MIL for 56. Thanks!

P.S. +1

Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Well wouldnt ya know it, after 5 days of clear driving, the EGR code returned once again. The bane of my cars existence (since ive had it). This leads me to one more question:

The EGR inlet to the intake manifold, from the temp sensor to the intake, looks like it only goes into the rearmost cylinder (#6?). When I cleaned the gunk from this passage, I only put the plastic rod in 3 inches or so.... enough to where it looked like it was going into the main intake passage. This doesnt make sense to me now.... so is that passage from the temp sensor to the intake longer.... does it go to the middle of the intake manifold or something? Ive never had mine off..... I cant think of any other thing I havent already covered to get rid of the %$#&%$* MIL for 56. Thanks!

P.S. +1
The EGR port splits into two sectiong in the intake manifold and discharges just after the throttle body on both halves of the intake. To clean it properly I would imagine you would have to go all the way up through it. To do so, you need to remove the manifold

Tom
Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
The EGR port splits into two sectiong in the intake manifold and discharges just after the throttle body on both halves of the intake. To clean it properly I would imagine you would have to go all the way up through it. To do so, you need to remove the manifold

Tom
Well then that about sums it up, thank you Tom. Why cant I have a FEDERAL 92 instead At least then I wouldnt have a temp sensor to snitch on the EGR to my control unit. Then again, what other state in the union gets to say its being run by a killer cyborg from the apocalyptic future