How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
how to replace gas lines ontop of tank????

My svx has sprung a massive leak making it undrivable. Its coming from the drivers side rear wheel area. Looking up, there are 3 horribly rusted lines going over the gas tank. How do I replace those three lines?

Is it through the access panel behind the backseat? Do I need to buy those lines from subaru, or can I replace them with simple coated lines from the auto store? Will I need specialty tools? (other then flaring kit)

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: how to replace gas lines ontop of tank????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
You can replace the rusty fuel lines with rubber fuel hose and just slide the hose down the outside between the tank and the car body. No need to drop the tank.
Otherwise you're in for some major work...

See this thread:
Fuel tank & piping diagrams here
You'll probably find several other threads out there too if you search.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Only way I know of is to drop the gas tank. You should probably do the brake lines too while you have the tank down. If the lines are strong enough to splice in to any line should do.

Edit: If your gas gauge is wonky now would be the time to fix that as well.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 06-03-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

I got 3/8 by accident. going back for 5/16 tomorrow. I needed 4 ft, to run it basicly behind the tank, and over the brake line next to the rear "A" frame. I was worried that the gas line would get caught in it, but the brake line is attached to the frame litterally 1/2 inch away from the pivot point there, so its not possible for the hoses to fall onto the pivot point and rub.

Also, I did some more work on the wiring for the german lights. I have city lights now (on one side). I also have the H series bulb convert to the 9000 series harness for the car. I put ALOT of effort into the changes, and I dare say that a professional might not readily see that it wasn't stock.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Scottsubarus

I too had terrible fuel leak when tank was over 1/2 full. I also suspected fuel lines leaking, but lucky for me my son is a Subaru tech and had to pull tank down to really see what was up. Turned out a rock had got kicked up and wedged itself between the body of the car and the plastic tank, rubbing a hole in it. New tank over $300, and car stuck on hoist now. Son just took some of the plastic "flashing" and melted it down and patched the hole. That worked for almost 2 years before it started to leak again, but this time I had time to look for a used fuel tank and got one for $45.

When I saw all that had to be taken down out of the car just to get the gas tank down, I was really glad that I was paying him under the table..and in beer.

Scott/Omaha