Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM

TPS values

Hi, my 92 SVX threw a #31 fault code, rough idle and engine pinging. I took the TPS off and it reads from 0.18k ohms to 5.3k ohms and changes smoothly all the way. Do I need a new one?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Registered SVX
Re: TPS values

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterAl View Post
Hi, my 92 SVX threw a #31 fault code, rough idle and engine pinging. I took the TPS off and it reads from 0.18k ohms to 5.3k ohms and changes smoothly all the way. Do I need a new one?
The manuals do not specify the overall resistance of the TPS, however yours would seem OK. Make sure you adjust the sensor position with the throttle fully closed, to 0.45 - 0.55 volts. I have had no trouble in achieving the mean of 0.5 volts. Refer the how too section if you have a problem with this.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Hi Trevor, thanks for your reply. I found someone who has the workshop manual and he said that the values shown in that are: between centre and an outside pin, 10k - 12k ohm when fully closed, and 3k to 5k when fully open. ie considerably higher than mine.
However the reading I have of 5k between the outside pins is correct. I suppose I should just go for the 0.5v reading and see if that solves the problem.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

As long as the sweep is smooth then your TPS should be fine, just needing adjustment. The only reasons to replace (as far as I know) is when your readings jump erratically when you sweep through, or if you've gone to the end of your adjustable range and still haven't hit a solid 5ohms. When mine went bad it was very obvious when I measured the sweep with a multimeter: values jumped all over from high to low at partial throttle, but were smoother near WOT. Just get it dialed in to 5ohms and you'll be a happy camper.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
As long as the sweep is smooth then your TPS should be fine, just needing adjustment. The only reasons to replace (as far as I know) is when your readings jump erratically when you sweep through, or if you've gone to the end of your adjustable range and still haven't hit a solid 0.5volts. When mine went bad it was very obvious when I measured the sweep with a multimeter: values jumped all over from high to low at partial throttle, but were smoother near WOT. Just get it dialed in to 0.5volts and you'll be a happy camper.
Fixed your typo.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Fixed your typo.

Harvey.
I should leave the tech talk to those who know their stuff.

Thanks Harvey.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterAl View Post
Hi Trevor, thanks for your reply. I found someone who has the workshop manual and he said that the values shown in that are: between centre and an outside pin, 10k - 12k ohm when fully closed, and 3k to 5k when fully open. ie considerably higher than mine.
However the reading I have of 5k between the outside pins is correct. I suppose I should just go for the 0.5v reading and see if that solves the problem.
I do not know what sort of manual your friend has, but the figures quoted do not make sense. Measurement from the centre pin, i.e. the moving element, should read near zero ohms fully one way, and total resistance the opposite way. Your 5K ohms reading appears to add up as correct.

Yes, adjust for volts and go from there.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll try it out as soon as it stops snowing.