How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Engine 'sticking' at 2k RPM on first start

The first time I start the car for the day (or not started for 8-10 hrs) unless I give it a good 5min+ warm up the engine won't go above 2k RPM and goes through surging and hesitation on acceleration, even with hefty throttle. It changes through gears fine. Engine noise is hard to explain because there really isn't one other than it seeming to strain - its more a 'feel' of it struggling or as if it should sould like its misfiring/backfiring.

The easy answer would be "just let it warm up" but the acceleration doesn't feel right generally. She's sluggish unless I really hit accelerator hard. Fuel consumption is also really poor. About a third less than I've read it should be in specs. I'm getting about 6km/L or 14.11 m/g.

I've only had my girl for a bit over a month but this started this week. Initially she did start pretty hard a few times, but some injector cleaner and octane boost seemed to sort it. Fuel economy has been poor since I've had her, but she's been in and out of shops having filters/fluids changed, trans service & steering reconditioned, so I couldn't really tell until now (no shops for a couple of weeks).

I've read through threads and know the SVX has some cold start issues that seem to be put down to the MAF, O2 sensors or TPS, but I haven't found anything that really matches what mine is doing. She goes in for a major degrease tomorrow (hopefully only rocker cover gaskets) and I'd like to have the mechanics look at it - if anyone has any suggestions about what exactly I should have them look AT!

I ran codes - nothing coms up as current on TCU or Engine ('D' check), TCU memory shows #25 & #31, nothing in engine memory.

Thanks in advance,

Tania.
Oh - I live in the sub-tropics so I don't think temp is an issue and it turns over and starts fine without needing gas.

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!

Last edited by plantchick; 09-09-2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: 'cause apparently I can't proofread
Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Engine 'sticking' at 2k RPM on first start

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
The first time I start the car for the day (or not started for 8-10 hrs) unless I give it a good 5min+ warm up the engine won't go above 2k RPM
....same thing over here. started about 1 week ago, but did'nt notice poor mileage...about 55liters for 400 km......speeding vroom vroom.

as for your "misfiring problem" maybe maf...i dont know i had this problem 2 weeks ago and took the maf from my old svx and now its working fine, maybe the maf could cause the problem of 2k at first start tho......
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill

Last edited by Francis; 09-09-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Re: Engine 'sticking' at 2k RPM on first start

Francis, try checking this thread out - seems to be the same thing. Didn't realise when I started this one.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=45815&page=2

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!