Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Nooooo vibration in the Rotors

It's been only about a year and 15,000 miles since I've put on my slotted and dimple drilled rotors.

Right now I'm getting a really bad vibration so I'm coming to the conclusion that I warped my rotors. I dont think I bedded the pads properly.

Also after long drives often I would let the car sit a few minutes and wash the car. I'm assuming the hot brakes + cold water weren't too good for it.

Any chance that getting new pads and bedding them properly will solve this?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Did you torque the lug nuts so that they have even pressure? I would doubt that washing the car would have made them warp. I would look at the brake pads or how the calipers are working.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
My car's Italian, right?

I pretty much re-did the whole brake system: remanufactured calipers, rotors, lines and pads all the way around.

Lugs are torqued to 90 ft lbs.

Fluid was just bled again.

It would stink to have to replace the rotors... they still look relatively new!
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
I pretty much re-did the whole brake system: remanufactured calipers, rotors, lines and pads all the way around.

Tim, if you have recently had a puncture fixed, or a wheel balanced, you often find the garage will torque on the wheel improperly using the air tool and sequentially tightening each lugnut. They should only be tightened in the sequence 1-3-5-2-4.
Also, they should be hand tightened in the air first, then the car lowered, and finish tightened in the same sequence.

If you are hauling it up hard from high speed, you might well have warped them again, likely the front if anything. If there is a way you can get the car jacked up, spinning the wheels with a friend to help will show which rotor is warped. Spin the wheel, apply the brake very easy, and if it is warped, it will possibly catch and let go once or twice on every turn. If it's pulling even, the rotors are not warped.

Now if you find doing this that one or more of your rotors have warped, and if they look nearly new as you say, then you should consider having the rotor "shaved" dynamically at a machine shop.

I got that done very cheaply for mine and it was a success.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Or if you have been braking lightly for some time deposits can build up (depending on brand of pads). Try a couple of hard stops, works sometimes.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:32 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Hmmm, I recently had the tires changed a few months ago but I re-torqued them myself.

I thought you couldn't get slotted/dimple driled rotors resurfaced?

I will try getting the car up in the air and test it by spinning the tires
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-29-2007, 09:37 PM
95pologreen

Send a message via AIM to Crazypolo95
hey i have the same thing. did the same thing everything new but it alone happend when i'm braking. it has being about one year i think agin or take a mouth
Old 04-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Registered SVX
Did you guys make sure that the mating areas of the hub and the rotors/discs, were completely clean and smooth before fitting the replacement components? It takes very little hard material to form an obstruction and put things out of true.

In affect the wheel/lug nuts comprise the attachment for both the wheel and disc/rotor to the hub. This arrangement is common and not restricted to the SVX. However somehow the SVX has been deemed to be in some way specially sensitive in respect of wheel/lug nut tightening torque.

This theory has been questioned by our most reliable practical authority, and I too can find no reason for this being applied as a particular negative against the SVX. Any car, and there are many, will have problems if there is hard foreign material obstructing the mating faces, or the nuts have been grossly badly tightened.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:51 AM

Brake vibration does not inevitably indicate warped discs. It's just a symptom, but that alone is not enough information to perform any kind of diagnosis.

If you went to your doctor complaining of a headache and he immediately told you that you had a brain tumour, without performing any other tests, I suspect you would not be very happy.

It's very easy to check for a warped disc, a garage would use a dial gauge, but any idiot can hold a pencil or even a fingernail, braced against the brake caliper whilst the disk is rotated, to see if there is any detectable degree of warpage, at the same time you should be looking for any variation of wear pattern or colour too.

While the wheel was off, you would be eyeballing any other components to see if they were bent, broken or even merely suspicious looking. You'd give things a damn good shaking too, looking and listening and feeling for any signs of free-play.

You'd look at the caliper to check that the bits that should move can move, and the bits that shouldn't move can't. You'd even be suspicious of the wheel and tyre.

It's a bit like being a detective, round up all the suspects, interrogate them all, identify the innocent and eliminate them from further investigation.

If you are not sure, do some more testing.

Finally, whilst you are looking you might find something else you need to fix
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson
Old 04-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I would say check the tire pressure in all the tires. I had one tire off when i got it, all were 30-32lbs except front driver side, at 58lbs Needless to say it vibrated to hell when i tried to brake.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:45 PM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221

Ah, that's a highish torque isn't it? Specs say 72-87. I know it's not much extra though....
I know it's been said before, but it really is important to torque those nuts up properly - sounds like you're already doing that though. I go to 75, and even that is pretty hard when undoing them with a lug nut cross-bar.

Do the rotors have pad imprints on them? If so you might be out of luck. It is possible to straighten the rotors out and get rid of the wobble - I've done it myself, just by heating them up gradually to HOT and then cooling down gradually. Do what Trevor said and check the rotor/hub mating surface, you may find a bit of corrosion or something.

One thing definitely worth trying (already mentioned I think) is with new pads:
Check all the nut torques.
Make sure the calipers are sliding properly on the pins.
Then go driving - Start doing braking stops from about 60 mph to about 10mph (Don't stop completely). Increase the severity slowly until you are just above the abs level. Things should be a little bit smelly and HOT about now. Then keep driving doing some gentle stops so that everything cools down slowly. When you've cooled everything down you can stop completely. You'll know by then if it has worked or not anyway. Re torque all the nuts.

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM
95pologreen

Send a message via AIM to Crazypolo95
Well I got all my done a shop and it was not doing that till about ending of last year. Like it sounds like a tapping sound. Or it would be like if I had cards in a ridding bike wheel. That is what people said it sounds like. Anyone know what that may be?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

CrazyPolo95
If you have drilled/slotted rotors this sound is completely normal. All it is is the sound of the air moving through the holes. When you hit the brakes it restricts air flow when each hole it sliding between the pads and when they open to the air again it is alowed to flow back through...So it is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your brakes