SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
With the exception of "where would the oil be?", it doesn't matter if the engine is upside down or standing on end.
Yea...that was my assumption, but I wasn't sure of it. When I get back home I'll check all this stuff, and I'll re-install the x-member making sure that the engine and trans are perfectly aligned. I'll go ahead and re-inforce the x-member also just for good measure...solid components never hurt

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-24-2006, 08:24 AM

When you reinstall the cross member make sure that it is not grounding out against the case of the transmission. When I built my crossmember several years ago a lot of work went into making sure that the cross member did not touch. I remember it was close quarters.

Since the engine is at an idle and the vehicle is not moving I think you have an issue with the crossmember, not angles.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 AM

Unless the angle is so extreme that you created a problem in the engine compartment......

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Mat,

The stock WRX crossmember has rubber pads that go between the crossmembers and the metal section that the tranny mount attaches too. The stock WRX tranny mount is pretty squishy, so I'm not sure that the lack of the rubber pads would matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10

Other than the stock WRX rubber mount, I have no other means of vibration absorption (but neither did the stock SVX)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:21 PM

woooooo....only a few hours until I fly home from my business trip. Can't wait to check some of the stuff you guys recommended. Hopefully by late tonight my 5MT will be glitch free (at least until the next glitch shows up )

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 05-27-2006, 02:23 AM

wow...I think I'm stupid or something. I re-inforced the x-member, went to put it back in, and not only did it not fit AT ALL, but there were 2 areas where the trans itself was touching the x-member. Had to remove the x-member and completely chop it up so that I can re-design it. Dangit!!! I don't know what I did wrong the first time. I have the engine to body angle difference at 5.5 right now, so the trans is as it should be, and I couldn't even get the crossmember to within 1" of the body before it started hitting crap. I'm amazed I even got it in the first time

So, tomorrow I'll build crossmember V3. Cutting steel is my new least favorite activity

Old 05-28-2006, 10:11 PM

Well, the new Bosch reciprocating saw and DeWalt angle grinder made fairly quick work of cutting the old crossmember and cutting components for the new one.

So, thanks for all your help on diagnosing this problem. I think my problem was related to one thing...my original crossmember didn't fit...at all...I mean not even close. I'm not sure how I ever got it installed the first time. Like I said above, I wasn't within 1" of the body before the stock SVX crossmember was making contact with the rear of the 5 MT. I had to cut out a good 2" x 4" chunk to get that to clear.

Anyway, after the extensive modification it works great. Smooth as silk Now I just have to get an alignment. After my tie rod end replacement my steering wheel is at about 10* to the left when driving straight. I bet the alignment shop is gonna love me for that one

Glad to have it all done...5MT SVX is great. Not raw and unrefined at all (that's the image I got of it from some other members' posts). Plus, I have a sweet tool collection now. LOL.

Mat