Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 AM

Registered SVX
Door Locking

I do not wish to get into the remote installation wiring, but a brief word regarding the door locking may help you to understand the polarity issue you have raised.

Reversing the polarity, reverses the action of the locking motor. The operating switch in the drivers door is therefore, double pole change over. There are several different set ups depending on model. My doors automatically lock as soon as the car gets under way. I understand some have an extra dash switch.

There are no limit switches. The manual switches return to the off position. A resistor in series with the motor protects it against excessive current, should the switches be held on longer than is required.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The lock, unlock and parking lights are all at the security harness. The locks are negatively triggered, just wire direct to the starter module or diode isolate if you wish. The parking lights are either negative or positive triggered, can't remember for sure but easy enough to test.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemunstr
Yeah i know all the colour codes are different. So far i've searched for every wiring diagram that i could find with remote starters and kinda gone with the flow. So far i've hooked up from what i think is right with the door locks. (still confused on how they work with how the polarities switch with unlock and lock).
Old 05-10-2006, 07:22 AM

Ok i will look at those wires again. But what i meant to ask is when i push that parking light button on my dash, what lights up, right now i don't see any anything happening when i push that button. Because if i wire it up and nothing happens, I won't be able to tell the difference, maybe my bulbs are burnt out. But before i look at those i need to know where they are.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 07:32 AM

Oy...you did look from outside the car right?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemunstr
But what i meant to ask is when i push that parking light button on my dash, what lights up, right now i don't see any anything happening when i push that button.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 AM

yeah . . . i figured there has to be some lights somewhere. now are these parking lights, are they the inner lights right beside your high beams? Or am i looking in the wrong place.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 PM

The parking lights are the exterior lights which would normally be on if you only turned the headlight switch to the first detent. They are the front turn signal and rear marker lights. The inner lights by the high beams are fog lamps. If the switch isn't working for you, then it is either broken, disconnected or you have a blown fuse somewhere.

KuoH
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39 PM

Oh ok thanks, i think i know why they don't work. We bought the car from the U.S. and brought it over to canada and they had to wire the lights for the daytime running lights. My lights are always on no matter what my dial says. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The way the daytime running lights (fog lights) work is they're on while the engine is running unless the e-brake is on.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:43 AM

Well . . . . see i don't know how they wired it up but right now i don't know how to turn on my fog lights (i'm guessing they are disconnected when they made the conversion). When they wired it i guess; they wired it so that my low beams are always on. did the us model have daytime running lights? I'm guessing they did and they were the fog lights and the guy who wired it up didn't know anything. unless i'm wrong here.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
No US models had Daytime Running Lights. All the Canadian models did. The best way to pass inspection is to show the guy that the headlights turn on/off with the key (keep the headlight switch always on). We've brought multiple SVX's into Canada using this method.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 PM

Man i wish i knew that when we brought it over years ago... I wonder what the tech did to make the low beams always on. Because i would like to get those working.

Thanks