How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-10-2004, 12:48 PM
martin

Central locking

Hi I need help to find the cental locking locations on a J Reg SVX with remote control central locking with sensors on door and dashboard.

I have fitted an alarm system on the vehicle and would like to know how to connect the alarm to work central locking, and if it is positive, negative or motor interupt central locking. I think I can hear a relay above glovebox area, but had difficulty removing this.

Please could someone help to identify the correct loaction and wiring colours and type of locking on car, for me to connect the alarm system to work central locking instead of the vehicles remote.

I am also fitting 4 window closers and nay help with the correct colour wires for closing all 4 windows would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
Old 01-10-2004, 03:21 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

God, ya sost me with all that electrical talk but here's a frendly

:Bump:

Hope someone can help ya...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-10-2004, 03:58 PM

I have no idea how JDM models work. Here's a bit on the US models and see if it helps

Almost all Japanese cars use a negative trigger.

The US SVX has two relays in the door lock timer module located behind the glove compartment (probably what you hear). The two relays are used because locking/unlocking the driver's door triggers the lock for the passenger door, but the converse is not true.

Central locking for this style of door locks usually (in the US) involves the installation of a couple diodes, and is relatively easy to hook up.

Attached is a diagram and a wiring for a US model, with a US alarm. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alarm.pdf (16.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 01-10-2004, 04:19 PM
martin

central locking

thanks for your reply.

what you have sent i think is for detecting if a door is open, and not for operating the central locking.

Is the central locking relays a negative pulse and how do you remove the gloce box because I could not get the inner bit out. Is the relay located above the glove box or behind?
Old 01-10-2004, 06:19 PM

if you want to see how to setup a central door locking mechanism go to the site listed below, and join the forum there. They have on-line schematics for adding in user-built central locking/unlocking mechanisms using a couple of relays. I know this isn't what you want to do, but their schematics might help you trace out the problem.

www.the12volt.com

On the US version the door lock module w/relays is behind the glove box, and requires the security module to be removed before you can get space to undo the bolt holding the door lock module. However, since this is a side-for-side swap between US & JDM I wouldn't assume the module placement is in the same place. Perhaps the other folks in AU or NZ can jump in on wiring/component locations.

Also, as an aid, I have included some info from DEI on their alarm systems and how they interface to door locks. The US SVX is definitely negative triggered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf door locks.pdf (385.7 KB, 557 views)
Old 01-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Phil & Belha

The central locking control unit is behind the glove box. You need to remove about 20 screws to get the glove box out and then look up underneath the dash and you will see two silver boxes which are almost inaccessible. The one nearest the door is the central locking (with the wires visible), the other is the cruise control (with the wires out of sight at the top).

I recently fitted a Cobra alarm to our LEGACY. IF the SVX is similar (and if your alarm works the same as the Cobra) then you will need an extra relay to make it work. It is not exactly like any of the three scenario's you mentioned (as far as I could tell from comparing the wires I found to the Cobra manual).

As I remember, there was one wire (white with a black stripe) to trigger it. If the wire was grounded the doors would unlock, otherwise they would lock. After grounding or breaking the wire, the signal that the control unit put on the wire changed because the lock button had moved to a different position. To lock it, you have to momentarily disconnect the wire from the control unit. To unlock it you have to momentarily ground it. (or it might be the other way around - I can't quite remember)

I'll have a look and see if I can find the notes I made at the time. Bear in mind though that this is on a Legacy not an SVX.

The US model SVX's have a factory fitted security system and are wired differently to the rest of the world. You need to find somebody here with a non-US service manual.

Phil.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:53 AM
martin

locking on svx

The alarm system that I have fitted is a Toad C£ Battery backup system with universal central locking.

I am not quite clear what you are saying with regard to adding an additional relay.

I presume you are talking about single wire control central locking. The toad alarm can be wired up for this. Do I then need an additional relay, and where would this be connected too.

Regards

Martin
Old 01-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Phil & Belha

On the legacy, there is a wire running between the driver's door and the control unit. Actually there was a bunch of wires, but I only needed to use one of them.

If you cut the wire the doors will lock. If you connect the door part of the wire to ground, the doors will unlock. When you disconnect it again, the doors will re-lock.

The cobra system I fitted had 3 wires to interface to the door lock system. Let's call them A, B, and C. To lock, it would connect A to B for 2 seconds. To unlock, it would connect A to C for 2 seconds.

If you look at the attached diagram, you will see how I used a relay to make it work.

i) If the doors are unlocked and I want to lock them:
The signal coming from the control unit is connected to ground. So the alarm connects A to B, which closes the relay and breaks the connection between the control unit and door. This causes the doors to lock. After 2 seconds, the alarm breaks the connection between A and B, which releases the relay, but that doesn't matter because the mechanism is now in the locked position, so the signal coming from the control unit is now floating (ie. not ground).

ii) If the doors are locked and I want to unlock them:
The signal coming from the control unit is floating (see above). So the alarm connects A to C, which grounds the wire causing the doors to unlock. After two seconds, it breaks the connection between A and C, but that doesn't matter because the mechanism is now in the unlocked position, so the signal coming from the control unit is now ground.

I hope that makes sense and that it works the same way on the SVX. If you can't find a wiring diagram, have a look behind the driver's kick panel and see if you can find a connector where the wires go into the door. If you pull the connector apart and the doors lock then you know it must be one of those wires.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp legacylocking.bmp (24.1 KB, 159 views)