How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-09-2003, 05:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
police scanner interference

I am now getting interference on my scanner, I have had it in the car for well over a year with no problems but lately I get a lot of interference. It doesn't happen all the time but more often than not. The odd thing is, the engine doesn't have to be running to get that noise, if I have the ignition just on the acc. position it is fine but if I turn the key on to the run possition with the engine not running it does have the noise. I haven't gotten around to really checking it out. but I am wondering what is on during the time I have the key in the run position and not on in the acc. position? I doubt that anyone else has this problem as most people don't have scanners in their cars but maybe CB.s would have the same problem, I have switched scanners so that isn't that problem, I was thinking maybe the fuel pump, or the cooling fans but I really don't have any idea what is causing it, as it used to work just fine.
The only thing that might have something to do with it is once in a while if I don't let the car warm up it is kind of sluggish for only a few minutes and then it runs fine, and I don't know what is causing that either, the check engine light has only come on a couple of times briefly and not when it is being sluggish so I don't know if that has anything to do with the interference anyway. If anyone has any suggestions as to what to check it would be appreciated. Thanks. Vernon
Old 12-10-2003, 08:40 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
what kind of scanner? Also, how is your antenna? I have beartracker on mine and I have an external antenna that sticks out from the glass. Without that, I can't get clear signals at all.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:23 PM

The scanner I have in the car now is one from Radio Shack I think it is a model 76 but the other one I had in there was a better one it is a Pro. 62. I had a trunk mount antenna on my Lebaron but of course it was magnetic and wouldn't stick to this plastic trunk lid so I got one of those "through the glass" kind and it worked pretty good but not as well as the other one did on the other car so I got a trunk lip mount antenna. My problems didn't start immediately after putting the trunk lip mount antenna on but not too long after that.
Again the odd thing is , the engine doesn't have to be running to get the interference, just have the key in the run position..
Thanks.Vernon.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:11 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by rayford
The scanner I have in the car now is one from Radio Shack I think it is a model 76 but the other one I had in there was a better one it is a Pro. 62. I had a trunk mount antenna on my Lebaron but of course it was magnetic and wouldn't stick to this plastic trunk lid so I got one of those "through the glass" kind and it worked pretty good but not as well as the other one did on the other car so I got a trunk lip mount antenna. My problems didn't start immediately after putting the trunk lip mount antenna on but not too long after that.
Again the odd thing is , the engine doesn't have to be running to get the interference, just have the key in the run position..
Thanks.Vernon.
Check your grounding. Seems like that's the case.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-10-2003, 04:43 PM

Would that be a body ground somewhere? because even if I unhook everything from the scanner and just run it with it's own batteries and the origional rubber antenna it still gets the interference when it is in the car. as I said earlier, it doesn't always do it but quit a bit of the time, sometimes it doesn't even do it with the car running but again, most of the time it does. I was wondering if something else in the cars system might have a bad ground meaning that maybe something else isn't working riaght either. Thanks. Vernon