Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2016, 04:13 AM

Stock radio or keep after market

Greetings,
I pickup a perfectly functioning original SVX stereo/CD. I bought the car back in March 2016 (1996 LSi). I just like everything original.Currently it has an older Kenwood deck with amp and multi-CD changer in the truck. Well installed. I would like to put the original back in (has hidden cover attached, perfect shape). Would it be stupid to put the original back in? I realize the wiring might be a mess with the after market install. But seriously considering putting the original back in. Also, since I had it, rear speakers do not work. Is it a pain , and do you need special tools to install the original back in? I do know I have to find some kind of shim/removal tools for the Kenwood thats already in there? Was thinking about having Car Toys do it. Not sure they could do it, or might charge a ridiculous price. When I brought the original stereo in, they said it was dead. They used the wrong wire to test power, Then I tested it with their equipment and it fired right up with all lights functioning and controls. The change in wiring and different harnesses (may not have not removed) makes me hesitant.
What do you guys think? I do prefer the original, looks so much better.
Thanks.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:14 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Stock radio or keep after market

Hang on to the working SVX stereo but leave the Kenwood in place.
I've had a total of 6 Svx stereos and all have failed in some way. Usually the laser in the CD player goes but there are other issues with the cassettes as well. They are a minimum of 20 years old and will die sooner or later.
Buy some good replacement speakers for the doors and rear deck too. The old stock speakers are poor even when in good shape. After 20 years in a car they begin to deteriorate.
Try http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LaPBTakVAfd/

Does the Kenwood have a working SVX cover on it?

Last edited by Blacky; 08-08-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I agree that the faces on the stereos these days are uglier, and can be harder to use, however I personally would not put the factory stereo back in, in my experience over bumps the CD player skips, then takes a few seconds to recover and also the cassette player will eat tapes. (the radio always got exceptional reception.)

The biggest thing for me is that I need bluetooth for the phone and for music streaming, so if it was me I would be looking to take out the Kenwood and put one in with bluetooth.

I would suggest as a first step, sliding out the Kenwood to see if they spliced the wires or used an adapter.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

OEM for originality is a personal preference for sure. There are quite a few write-ups on how to remove the head unit on this site. No special tools required as far as I remember. (I've never done it.) You must be very careful not to scratch the trim bits due to the tight fit. There is a member here who makes harnesses to adapt the OEM to just about anything.

I still use the OEM and find it adequate, but surely miss the bluetooth or even having an Aux input. There is a write up on how to splice in an Aux input on the site somewhere. CD / Radio or nothing (who uses cassettes these days?) There is also a problem with intermittent display lighting on the OEM. As it ages the panel with the lights comes loose slightly and has to be re-seated in order for the display to function properly. There is a write-up on the site for that fix too.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:30 AM

Thanks for your reply's. Yes the one I have does have a the door cover attached. IDK.... it just seems ergonomically the original looks soooo good and lets face it, it is a classic and shouldn't we keep it that way? I guess I'm showing my age. I'm not one to crank up the jams and get my ears blown out from a 100 watt system. I Think I'll give it a shot, just need to to find a way to remove that kenwood. I know there are special tools, or I can fabricate something to remove the fake one. Its just the the nicer SVX's I have seen (very, very, very few. I have seen 2 since I've noticed in the Denver area) have the original stereo. Mine just hit 160K and drove back tonight on a nice long highway, put cruise at 120, with windows down, and just as smooth as going 30. I am hearing that slight whine from the rear wheeling bearings. Since I'm taking a trip from Denver to Phoenix in a few weeks, I'll probably get those replaced. Funny how the tranny is as strong as ever. I check the fluid after several hours of driving and the temp is just a little bit warm. No after cooler on this one. Maybe I'm one of the lucky few or when it goes, it goes quick. So sounds like no one is a fan of the original speakers.I did notice the magnets on the rear speakers are quite small. Any trick to removing the rear ones? I might be getting into a rats nest once I pull the kenwood.
Thanks, I love this forum and I've realized you do have to be one of uniqueness to own one of these gems

Anyway, I'm looking for a complete antenna. I might feel better and just spring the $200 for a new one.
Cheers mates
Old 08-10-2016, 01:42 AM

Oh ya, the kenwood does have the folding door, as well as the spare original one.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:39 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

You won't need special tools, if I recall correctly, pull off the black inner trim on the door, then pull off the black plastic trim around receiver. Under you will find 4 Phillips screws. Move the gear shifter all the way back using the shift lock. Put a towel down to protect trim. Pull it out and remove the harness and antenna cable. Also before starting remove the negative battery terminal.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Check these How To's:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Tags
original steroe/cd