Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

2014 Snow Tires

Looking for snow tire recs for the SVX. Has anyone used
Bridgestone Blizzak LM32, WS70, or WS80's on their SVX.
How about Michelin X-ice or Goodyear ultragrip's. Any other
recommendations?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:13 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Re: 2014 Snow Tires

I use Goodyear ultra grip on all my cars. This is my fourth year on the SVX and they still have pleanty of thread on them.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:20 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

If you drive on a lot of cold dry roads or in icy conditions, Yokohama W Drive is a nice high performance winter tire. In heavy snow they don't have very big lugs for grip.
I did make it down a 1/2 mile long unplowed driveway with about 6-8 inches of snow yesterday. The belly pan was dragging all the way.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

The Ultragrips are getting great reviews online. Haven't tried them personally but they might be the next set on the Legacy. My friend burned out a set of X-Ice in 2 years, but I wouldn't consider that normal as he thinks he's Ken Block and also drives them year round (including a 4000 mile trip from Toronto to New Orleans last August, with a stop at the Tail of the Dragon). He did win the RWD class at our Snowkhana last year with them. My parents have had X-Ice's on their Forester for 2 or 3 years now and love them.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

During the snow storm in Febuary, I drove about 5 miles through unplowed roads as high as the bumpers with no problem. Was it the tires or was it the all wheel drive? or both

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 AM

Registered SVX

I bought hankook i pike studded snows the day after buying the svx. They still have most of the tread after several years of winter only use. The only time I got stuck I plowed so much snow under the car I was high centered. Took a few minutes and a shovel but wasn't a big deal to get out. The snow was so deep it was harder to open the doors.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Yeah, I saw some of the very positive reviews. You can probably write one with all of the miles you have on them. How is the handling/ride comfort/road noise? I have a bias toward not losing too much in the way of handling. I agree with you in that the combo of snows and AWD is a killer combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I use Goodyear ultra grip on all my cars. This is my fourth year on the SVX and they still have pleanty of thread on them.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Don't know what type of winter driving is in PA. If you get lots of freezing rain and black ice I'd go for one of the new design "ICE" tires like Michelin Ice-X. They have 2 one is better in snow, the other better in heavy rain as it clears more water from the sipes. (Ice-Xi3) My dad just put a set on his car. Reviews say the are better on ice than studs until you get to ultra cold high arctic type weather. I have studded Nokian Hakapolita which I am thoroughly satisfied with. Great in deep snow.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Icy, slushy roads, fairly frequent 2-4 inch snowfall, with the occasional large storm is typical of Southcentral PA. I hadn't read about these so I'll check them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
If you drive on a lot of cold dry roads or in icy conditions, Yokohama W Drive is a nice high performance winter tire. In heavy snow they don't have very big lugs for grip.
I did make it down a 1/2 mile long unplowed driveway with about 6-8 inches of snow yesterday. The belly pan was dragging all the way.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

My daughter has the Michelin X-ice on her 97 Honda Accord. It was almost undriveable in winter weather until we put those on. Always wanted to try the Nokia's but nobody sells them around here. Probably don't have enough deep snow around here to warrant buying them anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Don't know what type of winter driving is in PA. If you get lots of freezing rain and black ice I'd go for one of the new design "ICE" tires like Michelin Ice-X. They have 2 one is better in snow, the other better in heavy rain as it clears more water from the sipes. (Ice-Xi3) My dad just put a set on his car. Reviews say the are better on ice than studs until you get to ultra cold high arctic type weather. I have studded Nokian Hakapolita which I am thoroughly satisfied with. Great in deep snow.

1994 LSi Laguna Blue 93K
1996 LSi Ebony Pearl 84K
1997 LSi Polo Green 56K
1997 LSi Polo Green 17K
1992 Liquid Silver 206K (parts)
2009 Legacy GT Spec B 46K
2000 Volvo XC70 201K
Old 12-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Anyone driving with the Continental ExtremeWinterContact's? Good reviews , in general. Really like to have opinions on the same car that I'm looking to put them on, though

1994 LSi Laguna Blue 93K
1996 LSi Ebony Pearl 84K
1997 LSi Polo Green 56K
1997 LSi Polo Green 17K
2000 Volvo XC70 201K
Old 12-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
During the snow storm in Febuary, I drove about 5 miles through unplowed roads as high as the bumpers with no problem. Was it the tires or was it the all wheel drive? or both
AWD+snows. There's actually a video recently that shows a Forester on all-seasons vs an M3 on snows and the M just walks away up an icy hill.

With the SVX on Blizzaks I was able to push through snow deeper than the headlights. Pulled itself out of this mess just fine:

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

That's a crazy amount of snow. Which Blizzaks do you have? How is the handling/ride/noise on drier roads?

1994 LSi Laguna Blue 93K
1996 LSi Ebony Pearl 84K
1997 LSi Polo Green 56K
1997 LSi Polo Green 17K
2000 Volvo XC70 201K
Old 12-20-2014, 04:22 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

I've always opted for "high performance winter tires", H-rated rubber. My conditions are very much like Harrisburg PA since I live towards Allentown PA

Blizzak LM-22's were my go-to tire but they don't make them anymore, so whatever they replaced it with. I currently have a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozeros on the STi and they're also doing quite well. I'd like to try winter Michelins some time because I really like their summer rubber, but I need to wear out some tires first!

I find that the H-rated winter tires give me very good control in cold + dry and cold + wet/slushy conditions, which is where I find myself far more often than on true snow covered roads. When I do encounter snow the tires + AWD get me anywhere I need to go, and keep me out trouble too. When the tires get down to the first wear bars I run them year round to get my money's worth.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss

Last edited by wdb; 12-20-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

I think the Bridgestone replacement for this tire is the Blizzak LM-32, which is a V-rated tire. These high performance tires with the stiffer sidewalls (contributes to better steering response?) do make sense with the type of winters that we have. I'm sure that you give up a little traction, as compared to some of the "deep snow" tires but, I'm biased toward retaining as much steering response and other handling characteristics as possible. Having the AWD + LSD should make up the remaining difference in snow traction. These and the Michelin X-ice are certainly expensive though.
I'm exploring some less expensive options before I pull the trigger (Continental, Goodyear Ultragrips, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I've always opted for "high performance winter tires", H-rated rubber. My conditions are very much like Harrisburg PA since I live towards Allentown PA

Blizzak LM-22's were my go-to tire but they don't make them anymore, so whatever they replaced it with. I currently have a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozeros on the STi and they're also doing quite well. I'd like to try winter Michelins some time because I really like their summer rubber, but I need to wear out some tires first!

I find that the H-rated winter tires give me very good control in cold + dry and cold + wet/slushy conditions, which is where I find myself far more often than on true snow covered roads. When I do encounter snow the tires + AWD get me anywhere I need to go, and keep me out trouble too. When the tires get down to the first wear bars I run them year round to get my money's worth.

1994 LSi Laguna Blue 93K
1996 LSi Ebony Pearl 84K
1997 LSi Polo Green 56K
1997 LSi Polo Green 17K
2000 Volvo XC70 201K