How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-16-2003, 04:26 AM
Phil & Belha

Any Legacy Owners/Experts here?

We're thinking of buying a legacy to replace the rusty Justy, probably a 94 or 95 model, 5 door, Manual Trans. I tried asking this on the legacy club, but I don't think anyone reads it.

What are the common problems to look out for?
Is the newer shape mechanically better than the older shape?
Is there much difference between the 2.0 and the 2.2?

All information and advice appeciated.

Phil & Belha.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:01 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Any Legacy Owners/Experts here?

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha
We're thinking of buying a legacy to replace the rusty Justy, probably a 94 or 95 model, 5 door, Manual Trans. I tried asking this on the legacy club, but I don't think anyone reads it.

What are the common problems to look out for?
Is the newer shape mechanically better than the older shape?
Is there much difference between the 2.0 and the 2.2?

All information and advice appeciated.

Phil & Belha.
From my experiance around the service department of a subaru dealership, the 94 style is generally more reliable than the 95 style. The 2.2 is a good engine and rarely has problems in the 93+ range. We dont have the 2.0 over here, so I cant comment on that. It is also important to point out that the legacys we get over here are built in the Subaru plant in the US. We dont get any Japan Imports which I would imagine are better quality overall.

Mike
Old 10-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The 95 Legacy is a much better ride than a 94 and I think the 2.2L is the best engine Subaru made for reliability. Well anyway that's me here in the USA.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:39 AM

2.0 x 2.2

Don't know if this can be of much help to you, as down under our Subaru's are imported (sic).

We have had both the 2.0 and 2.2 in (Liberty) wagons. Both engines have been extremely reliable and we have had no real dramas with either car.

The 2.2 tended always to be a bit smoother than the 2.0, and moved the car a bit more easily, as you would expect. The 2.0 always seemed a little under powered for the size of the car, although still adequate.

We did about 400,000 kms (250,000 miles) with the 2.2 and apart from the occassional little bug, oil pump at 300k, gave us lots of trouble free motoring.

The 2.0 has done about 270,000 kms (165,000 miles) and it always seemed a little harsh on the clutch, you got the feeling that it was a little overworked. We replaced the clutch and water pump about 10,000 kms ago, but in fairness to the car it has been pulling a 3/4 tonne trailer for the last 50,000 k's.

I honestly don't think that there is too much to pick between the engines we have found both to be reliable. Keep them serviced and maintained, go with preventive remedies and I think either will serve you well.

Kenn

BTW The 2.2 definately liked to use the fuel a lot more than the 2.0
Old 10-16-2003, 06:42 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Any Legacy Owners/Experts here?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

From my experiance around the service department of a subaru dealership, the 94 style is generally more reliable than the 95 style. The 2.2 is a good engine and rarely has problems in the 93+ range. We dont have the 2.0 over here, so I cant comment on that. It is also important to point out that the legacys we get over here are built in the Subaru plant in the US. We dont get any Japan Imports which I would imagine are better quality overall.

Mike
We did get the Legacy Turbo imported Mike. I agree though about the U.S. 91-94s being more reliable as they age but the first 2 years of the redesign weren't bad either. I'd stick with a manual as there are some tranny issues just as the svx
Old 10-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Go Postal

Hi Mike, Here in the US we also get the RHD US Post Office Legacy wagons. These are made in Japan. My local dealer, Ann Arbor Subaru, sells about one a month. Take care, BOBB
Old 10-16-2003, 07:42 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Go Postal

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobb
Hi Mike, Here in the US we also get the RHD US Post Office Legacy wagons. These are made in Japan. My local dealer, Ann Arbor Subaru, sells about one a month. Take care, BOBB

All RHD Postal models are made at SIA. The last year for them was 1999.

Mike
Old 10-16-2003, 07:43 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Re: Any Legacy Owners/Experts here?

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

We did get the Legacy Turbo imported Mike. I agree though about the U.S. 91-94s being more reliable as they age but the first 2 years of the redesign weren't bad either. I'd stick with a manual as there are some tranny issues just as the svx
The turbos were imported, yes. Also, some of the earlier gen 1 legacys are imported. I'm pretty sure it was hit or miss.

Mike
Old 10-16-2003, 10:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I had a '90 Legacy (1st gen) and I now have a '95 Legacy (2nd gen). The '95 is far more reliable than the '90 I had, but then the '90 was abused by previous owners. After much TLC from me, the car became very reliable and now my sister-in-law has it.

The '95 is, I think, a far better car. It rides better and has much better weight to the steering (the '90s steering was way over-assisted).

Botho f my Legacys have had the 2.2L engine, which is outstanding, I think. The major problems I had with the '90 were vacuum leaks and the idle air control valve. The '95 has needed its water temp sensor replaced, but that's a common and cheap fix (about $25 for the part, I installed it myself).

Both were also automatics. The '90 seemed to have a badly worn transfer clutch, but I'm pretty sure you get a totally different system, so it's none of your concern.

I love the Legacy. I think it's a fantastic car - and a great value, considering what used Legacys sell for here in the US.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: