Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-14-2003, 09:10 AM
fredrobbins

Engine quits while driving

Help!

For the past 2 weeks, my SVX engine will shut down unexpectedly. Electrics work...but all the warning lights flash up on the instrument panel. I stop the car, turn off ingnition switch and wait a few minutes. Then it restarts and runs fine for awhile.

Temperature is normal, all fuses are good, and connections seem OK. My son says it's probably a loose or broken wire, or a corroded terminal somewhere. Battery is fine. No warning lights at all while engine is running...this happens more frequently now, and seems to have some heat related causes as only after engine has reached full operating temp and run for 20-30 minutes does this ocur.

Where should I look for the problem? Where are the ECU/ECM and related electrical/electronic or engine computer modules?

Thanks in advance!

Fred Robbins
Old 10-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quits

Hi Fred, Other members have posted problems that sound a lot like your problem. In every case it is an alternator going bad. In the end, all lights will come on and the alternator will never alternate again. I would have the alternator tested and if bad get a new one. Take care, BOBB
Old 10-14-2003, 11:43 AM
fredrobbins

Angry

Bobb,

Thanks for the info. I DID find an entire thread on this subject dated back a year ago, right on this folder. Seems that there were several suspects in the crime - MAF sensor, "Check Engine" computer codes, alternator ground wiring, other ground wiring, etc.

I'll get the alternator checked right away...I'm checking the other suspects as well.

Thanks again,

Fred
Old 10-15-2003, 05:33 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Fred, I hope the check shows something. It may depend on if the alternator has an intermittent fault or not. Watch for those dashboard warning lights.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Suby1

I read that previous thread as well.
My mom's having the same problem with her 1992 Subaru SVX as well. The car just dies, all lights come on the dash (it dies at any speed), then it starts right back up.
I told her husband to have the alternator tested/rebuilt/replaced. I hope that fixes it.
Seems like a common problem.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:44 AM
fredrobbins

Hi All,

After reading all the posts here and on the old thread from 2002, and a call to the Service Mgr. at the Subaru dealer here, I just disconnected the battery one night and reconnected it the next morning. Apparently, this re-set the computer codes in the "trouble" program back to zero and I've not had a problem again in 5 days so far... alternator checked OK, BTW.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by fredrobbins
Hi All,

After reading all the posts here and on the old thread from 2002, and a call to the Service Mgr. at the Subaru dealer here, I just disconnected the battery one night and reconnected it the next morning. Apparently, this re-set the computer codes in the "trouble" program back to zero and I've not had a problem again in 5 days so far... alternator checked OK, BTW.
Well, I hope that fixed it, Fred. Glad we could help!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-20-2003, 10:55 AM
fredrobbins

I hope it's fixed, too!

Thanks to all!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:25 PM
fredrobbins

Well, well, well!!!

The engine quit twice today. First time in 10 days this has happened --- it was stalling 1-2 times/day until the battery disconnect "solution" ... thought the bug had left.

I'm going to try and repeat the disconnect procedure and see if it resets the "trouble" program again. Will keep y'all posted.

I don't suppose there are any new ideas??????
Old 10-27-2003, 12:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
And, aside from all the warning lights coming on when the car dies, you have no other symptoms? Hard starting, check engine light?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-27-2003, 01:02 PM
fredrobbins

No warning whatsoever. The only thing that precedes the shutdown is a sudden misfiring/rough-running for about 1-2 seconds. I've been able to temporarily keep it running for another 15 seconds by nailing the gas pedal, but it's only for that brief time period.

No "check engine" light ahead of time. No hesitation or prolonged rough running. Engine restarts immediately upon shifting to Neutral and twisting the key. Usually it will continue running normally after the restart for the next 15-20 miles (I'm usually where I need to be before then). It always starts immediately after being parked for any length of time, and there is absolutely no battery weakness at any time.

What confuses me, the disconnecting of the battery stopped the problem for 10 days. NO PROBLEM AT ALL!! So, the reset of the electronics/computer programs apparently solved the problem. What appears to have happened is the "virus" has re-invaded the computer and here we go again.

There is nothing to indicate alternator problems, and the Service Manager at the Subaru dealership in Jacksonville told me it was almost impossible to lay the blame at the feet of the alternator.
This by phone, as I don't want to drive for almost an hour in heavy traffic to get there in person... not if I don't have to
Old 10-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
This is a long shot but...how loose is your ignition switch?
Old 11-14-2003, 07:14 PM
njboys808

Exclamation Try MAF Sensor first!

This problem you have is absolutely common to the SVX. Before you start paying to have things replaced or diagnosed just grab the codes from the ECU which you can do in about 5 minutes. Even though the check engine light is not on it'll still have the codes stored. 9 out of 10 times based on your symptons you'll find that it's your MAF. If your want to check your alternator there a quick and simple way- start your engine disconnect the battery cables and wrap them in cloth so that they can not touch metal start your light and accelerate the car to about 2500 rpm if there is any hesitiation then your alternator is weak and needs replacing. IF not then odds are again that the MAF is bad. GRAB the codes from the ECU before you do anything! It'll save you a ton of money and headache.

Last edited by njboys808; 11-14-2003 at 07:16 PM.