Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2003, 04:14 AM
JJay

Exclamation 173,000 miles SVX.....Need expert ADVICE!

I found a high mileage SVX with 173,000 miles. Car seems to be in MINT Condition. Has a rebuilt transmission at 150,000 miles. New timing belt & waterpump, and new tires. Interior is almost a 10. Has a new driver's side power window motor. Price is $2,500.

NEEDS:
New Shocks & Struts
New front brake pads

What do you experts think about this? I want some opinions before I buy it. Thanks for all or any helpful comments. Thanks.

By they way. I am driving a $500 1991 Chevy Lumina Euro with 166,000 and it is giving me NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I drive it everyday and it never gives me any problems. Could a SVX be worse?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Could an SVX be worse? Actually... I'd have to be honest and say yes. Like any mechanical device, they do vary in quality quite a bit... and in an 11 year old car you never quite know if it's been beat to hell somewhere in its 173,000 miles.

On the flip side, it sounds like the major stuff has been dealt with. However, again you don't know for sure until you can completely inspect the car. No matter how low the miles, on a car that age you are taking a gamble.

The car might give you years of trouble-free driving, but it might start breaking down in weird and wonderful ways two weeks after you get it home... the car would need a full mechanical inspection before I'd buy it (take it to a local mechanic... independent... pay for a full pre-buy inspection).

The SVX is a great car... I've owned two... but they're NO maintenance-free. Plus, some parts are getting hard to get a hold of.

I know this isn't what you really wanted to hear... but YMMV. Figure I'd rather you hear an honest opinion

Oh... but beware... one big problem with the SVX is addiction... drive it for a few days and you'll never want a different car again.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

I see that Thumper wants to scare you so's HE can scarf up the car. $2,500.00! Mint?! Tranny replaced? Wait - I want it if it's red.
And keep the Chevy too. Sounds like it's just getting broken in.
Have fun, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:13 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: 173,000 miles SVX.....Need expert ADVICE!

Quote:
Originally posted by JJay
I found a high mileage SVX with 173,000 miles. Car seems to be in MINT Condition. Has a rebuilt transmission at 150,000 miles. New timing belt & waterpump, and new tires. Interior is almost a 10. Has a new driver's side power window motor. Price is $2,500.

NEEDS:
New Shocks & Struts
New front brake pads

What do you experts think about this? I want some opinions before I buy it. Thanks for all or any helpful comments. Thanks.

By they way. I am driving a $500 1991 Chevy Lumina Euro with 166,000 and it is giving me NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I drive it everyday and it never gives me any problems. Could a SVX be worse?
I highly doubt it is "mint" with 173,000 miles on it. Unless of course those miles were put on on a dyno or something.

Mike
Old 10-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Hater

Re: 173,000 miles SVX.....Need expert ADVICE!

Quote:
Originally posted by JJay

NEEDS:
New Shocks & Struts
New front brake pads

JJay,
i had a '90 (first MY!!!) Lumina and put 135,000 miles on it, with hardly many problems. the computer, brakes, and a some gasket (weird stalling problem) were replaced and that's about it. it was pretty good in the snow, too!

it was REALLY hard to look at, though - the dash was warped beyond recognition and the wonderful GM paint was flaking off. in fact, i quit washing it for the last 3 years i owned it because more paint would just come off! i just let the rain take care of it. it was the ultimate beater car.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: i'd pick it up

If the car is 'mint' in your opinion and an inspection proves that it is mechanically sound, then I would pick it up. $2500 is not bad, if it is in decent shape and runs fine. I would however keep the chevy for times when your car will be in the shop and set aside a some money for preventive car maintenance. i got mine checked out right after i bought it and replaced whatever needed replacing and it runs like a charm.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:21 AM
JJay

Cool Thanks for the advice.

Thumper SVX you are right about once you drive an SVX you won't want another car. I test drove a beat up one in 2001, but it was still running good/decent and I haven't stop wanting one since.

The gentleman selling this car put a lot of money into it and his wife is forcing him to sell it because they just bought a house. When I say Mint I mean for a 11 year old high mileage car at least near mint. The body has no rust. Paint looks well taken care of. Carpet and leather seats look great!!! Like an SVX from Florida.

What really sold me was the tranny being rebuilt at 150,000 miles and the timing belt and waterpump. The new window motor for the driver's side is good too. Tires are about 90% tread left. They guy really doesn't want to sell it, but the wife is forcing his hand. I thinks its a good deal for the price. Thanks for the advice.
Best regards,
JJay
Old 10-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
<grin> Contrary to popular belief... no I'm not trying to grab that one for myself (wow... how many PM's do I need claiming that one? I guess I'm too well known around here )

HOWEVER... my advice does stand. Get a full mechanical inspection. I don't doubt it's been well cared for... maybe even loved... but it's STILL an 11 year old car. The fact that the tranny was just rebuilt means it will PROBABLY be a peach... but nonetheless don't take that big a chance. Besides, a mech inspection shouldn't run more than $50-$75... WAY cheaper than the cost of any number of repairs. Cheap insurance IMHO

Of course... I say go for it... if you're willing to take a bit of a chance then the car might give you another 100K without too much hassle. Subarus are like that... can't kill the buggers.

Hope this helps