Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Re: Overheating, First thing to do... try the HG Test.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I missed it in my skim-thru reread lol, I was the one prodding you to do it the whole time lol. Now that im back in the shop im tired much and look at far more different cars, i just spaced that I mentioned all this already. oops

And you dont have top describe the running oddly thing, most of us have seen it plenty of times. Its a bad feeling when you diag your own car with a headgasket leak
Well... I will charge the battery up, crank it up, and see if she is still running differently... then I can give a more accurate explanation of how she's running.

Also, Where can I find:
"Timing belt, water pump, Thermostat, thermostat gasket, engine seal kit, timing belt idlers"

I want the best price, without sacrificing quality.

Wasn't there also talk about the stock head gasket not being that great?

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Because it is... Patches work for a little while... In the end the remedy will be replacing the gasket if it has not been let go too far

Tom
The original T-stat had crapped out because it had never been changed, ever. I then got a New Subaru Tstat and rad cap for easy mind. After 2 week of taking short trips everyday it was fine till I drove it about 4hrs straight then another 8 and 12hrs back. The "new" T-stat didn't open until about 20 or more degrees past the set temp so it would only be half open which boiled the coolant at slower speeds because it wasn't moving fast enough. When I was going faster it never rose once. The rad cap I got with the T-stat was also bad so I replaced both again with new OEM and tested both before putting them in and the car has not had a problem since.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM

NSM484:

Just saw your posts, I have been off this site since I sold the car to you. (missing having an SVX and seeing pics here is tough) So sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. I can tell you that I replaced the water pump, idlers, timing belt, thermostat and all related gaskets and seals about 3-4 months before sold, so don't waste your funds on that. Wanted to replace the timing belt at around 90k miles and did the others while I was in there. So that stuff is pretty new.

Hope you get her up and running again. Also found the cigar lighter (again). PM me your address and I will get it to you.

-Nick
1988 XT6
1996 SVX LSi AWD