How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 AM
The Molinator

New Noise.. . Driveshaft Slap!

Evidently, when the muffler man welded in the rear cat, he pushed in the sheet metal cover under the exhaust pipes, protecting the driveshaft. So, when I would turn the steering sharp to either side and accelerate (eliciting the bad axle click noise), it would evidently cause some engine/AT movement slightly.. . CAUSING THE DRIVESHAFT TO HIT THE SHEET METAL COVER .. . making my SVX sound like an old delapidated jalopy with a bad muffler.. . hanging down loose.. . and banging back and forth into various other metal parts [like banging a large screwdriver on a metal trashcan lid]!

Is there a way to diagnose the driveshaft (propellor shaft) center bearing? It didn't seem bad. When I grabbed the shaft and shook it.. . It only seemed to wiggle about 3/16 to 14 inch! The reason I wonder about the center bearing is that when the shaft would hit the sheet metal.. . It would sound like something banging repeatedly (rather than just scraping smoothly).. . like maybe the bearing was "floppy".. ??

Oh..BTW.. . I bent the sheet metal out slightly away from the driveshaft.. . SO, it doesn't make that dreadful noise anymore (but I still get the front axle clicking that I brought up in another thread.. . Waiting for my Chinese axle coming from Mike). I can't tell which front axle is bad, since it makes noise while accelerating/turning in either direction???

Thanks! Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Re: New Noise.. . Driveshaft Slap!

Should of had "The muffin man" do the welding or toasting, sorry that doesn't help does it, but your discription of the noise had me lol. I know nothing about drivshafts beside the ujoints.................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.