Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-23-2003, 07:24 AM

Question How to tell if you have busted shocks?

Since the weather has started to get colder, I've been noticing an increasing noise comming from the back whenever I roll over a bump/hole. It sounds like huge "rusy hinges". When I had my Talon and the rear shocks where busted, the car would recover from such bumps very slowly (it would oscillate for like 2-3 seconds) and would become had to control in curves. Not so much with the SVX though... actually, besides the noise, nothing seems to be wrong with the car's handling. So I was wondering if it would still be the shocks or if it could be something else... like bushings, coils...

Thank yall for your help.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Turbo,
Your noise could be many different things. How many miles on the car / shocks? I have had over 100K miles on a SVX (and driving it aggressively) and the shocks are okay (could be better if new, but no bouncing for a second or two after hitting a bump).

Check a couple of things: 1) anti-roll bar bushings (the rusty hinge sound?) or 2) the subframe bolts (both front and rear) - I have found that these bolts can be tightened considerably over the years as the rubber gromlet compresses. Makes a big, big difference in the feel of the car too.

As for the shocks, inspect them very carefully to see if the shock is leaking any fluid. If so, they definitely need to be replaced.
Later,
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 10-23-2003, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx
As for the shocks, inspect them very carefully to see if the shock is leaking any fluid. If so, they definitely need to be replaced.
Thanks!!! So that's how to tell if they're busted. If they are leaking fluid (I assume we're talking about oil here), then they need to be replaced.

Now that you mention fluids, I have another question: when a car is equiped with "gas shocks", does that mean that there is no fluid involved in its mechanism, or that, even though it is a gas that is being compressed, there is still a need for lubrication thus for oil. I guess what I'm trying to know is if gas shocks can leak fluid.

What kind of shocks do we have on our SVXs?
Old 10-23-2003, 10:24 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The gas in gas shocks is used to put pressure on the damping oil to help prevent foaming. So, gas shocks have oil, and they will leak when the seals become worn.

Besides leaky shocks, the SVX has a unique issue with the rear struts. The upper strut mounts can completely rust away and fail. The spring will then rest against the body of the car, and the rear of the car will sit about 3 inches lower than the front.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:47 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
i have been running on roads with many a bump and crack. my front left shock has been making intermittent squeaking noises upon hitting a small bump.
oh yeah, the turns onto and off the highway that i use everyday are sharp and seem to stress this shock as well.
should i look for the same thing, leakiness?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:01 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: How to tell if you have busted shocks?

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboIQ
Since the weather has started to get colder, I've been noticing an increasing noise comming from the back whenever I roll over a bump/hole. .......................
As mbtoloczko said above, the rear strut mount is most likely GONE. All you need is a flash light to look up in the strut mount area to see the rust. Take a look here to see how it looks when taken out.

The other way struts go bad is in the bushing at the top of the strut. Get some gloves on and grab the top the tire and shake it, in < and > out, It should not move. Then again after they get this bad the tires are usually bad too.

Of course if the car is pushed down it should not bounce up and down after letting go. I just push down and pull up on the bumper a few times to check this. I like that method better as a shock (damper) is force related to velocity. When I try to move the bumper faster it resists more. It's also a good form of exercise. Good for the back and arm muscles and extremely exhausting.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:10 PM
wolfcj

Re: How to tell if you have busted shocks?

My SVX has had this problem since I got it almost five years ago. I've had the rear shocks replaced, with no change in the noise. The noise practically goes away in warmer weather, but it occurs with any significant sharp bump or dip in the road when the weather is cold (say 40 degrees F or less). It seems as though it comes from one side (the right), but it's hard to be sure. I can't detect any problem with the ride or handling, and it doesn't sit low in back.

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboIQ
Since the weather has started to get colder, I've been noticing an increasing noise comming from the back whenever I roll over a bump/hole. It sounds like huge "rusy hinges
Old 11-13-2003, 06:03 PM
JLittell

Yep cold weather is the factor here..Summer time no noise...winter times= Rusty hinges!

I starting parking my car outside recently overnight this season. I always parked her in a warm garage in the winters in the past. I never heard such noises until this year... Has to be the outside temp causing your rubber to stiffen in the rear...(I don't like the sound of that).
Old 11-13-2003, 08:25 PM
The Molinator

Question SUBFRAME bolts, etc. . . . .

Harry, are the subframe bolts which generally need tightening, the ones going through the "rubber bushings"? Do they have a specific torque spec? How do you know they're loose or OK?

THANKS for your enlightenment!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
thats odd. temperatures dropped here and my noise went away. my tweet started rattling though...

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.