SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Problem Numero Uno - Oil Leak

Okay, my first problem with my 96 has come up and I want to see what opinions the masses have on this;

I'm losing such a small amount of oil from this leak that it doesn't even register as a drop on my dipstick three weeks after an oil change... so critical it's not. However, it is irritating.

Anyway... symptoms... here we go...

The oil is dripping on the ground at the front of the engine block. It appears to be coming from the seal around the timing belt cover and smells of what I can best describe as very watered down oil. It might well be water mixed with the oil since it's been raining on and off around St. Louis of late. There's no smell of antifreeze and I don't appear to be losing any water/antifreeze so I'm pretty sure it's from an external source.

Anyway, the majority of the oil appears to be falling from the drivers side, but I always get a couple of drops from the passenger side also... though there's always a smaller puddle on the passenger side. Each "leak" is about 6-8 inches to either side of the centerline of the car.

I know it's from the front of the block simply because I removed the plastic belly-tray when I was changing the oil so I could troubleshoot problems as they came up... not to mention the hassle of replacing the oil filter without removing the pan!

Anyway... my first thought was that I had a bad seal around the oil pan since it appeared initially to be coming from there... however it now seems more likely that it's rolling back from the timing belt cover.

Another thing... the car is only dripping oil when it's hot. Once the car cools off the drips stop... so it's only when the oil is up out of the pan that it leaks.

Is there anything specific behind the cover that might be leaking and causing this? Is there even supposed to be oil rolling around under that plastic cover in the first place?? Could it just be bad seals around the cover? The previous owner told me he'd had the timing belt, water pump and so forth replaced less than a year ago... could it be the seals weren't replaced at that time and they're just getting old?

Any input greatly appreciated. As I said... it's not madly critical... but I am getting a smell of burning oil when I park the car that's just annoying, especially when friends comment about it to me.

TIA
Old 11-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sounds like cam seals or front main seal. They will leak into the timing belt cover and once the seal for the cover gets "elephantitis" it will swell and leak the oil out.l
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Any idea of how much work for either of these?
Old 11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
deadeye95

My mysterious "oil leak" was caused by a bad o-ring on the power steering reservoir/pump (incidentally located at the front of the engine). It takes less than a buck for the o-ring and an hour to do to the job. The procedure for the o-ring replacement should be easily searched for on this site.

Scott
Old 11-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx
Any idea of how much work for either of these?
As usual, two dollar part, mucho labor. I'd wait until the timing & other belts came up on the replacement schedule to do anything. Every car I've ever owned leaked something. None ever blew up.
It's a sign of good health. Enjoy.

Ron (even I leak occasionally).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.