How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-03-2003, 09:46 AM
tong

Unhappy Bearing MASS Airflow and Cam positioning Sensor

OK Time to get this thing to normal. My rear passenger side wheelbearing is bad this i know. The person i baught the car from had taken it to the local Subaru Dealer and had a diagnostic check done it and came back with a bad mass airflow and cam psotioning sensor, at leats that's what he says and the tag on the keys from the dealer.
I remeber reading some time ago in here that people used a differnet mass airflow and it worked. Auto zone wants 300+ for the mass airflow + a core charge and that's WAYYY too much.
Can somone Please inform me of which mass airflow sensors will work with the svx. Also the Cam positioning sensor. Is there another one for another car that works? The car starts, runs, can't idle but will stay running during acceleration and if kept above 2000 rpm but sometimes even with the gas perfectly to hold it at 2k it starts to stutter.
Anyways I went on Auto Zone's website and was looking at the parts (Cheapest and closest parts store to me). If somone can get me the part numbers i need for all of this i would verymuch apreciate it.

Thank you
Old 10-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yes that's a few bucks at subaruparts.com
Old 10-04-2003, 01:33 AM

Judging by your symptoms, you should replace the MAF first. You can find a used one on car-part.com The new one is $300 range. If you can find a person proficient in electronic repairs (i.e. a person who can hold a soldering iron) they might be able to fix your MAF by soldering something inside.

This should solve your idle problems. Don't rush replacing cam sensor (the car does not start at all without proper signal from cam sensor - been there myself).
Old 10-04-2003, 05:06 PM
tong

Thanks guys good headsup at it. Ok the rear wheel bearing, should i do both at same time? it's only gonna cost me the part + 30 bux total labor for everything i need done (Local Career Training Center i go to) Oh and the thing leaks oil only when it's warm and burns it off so i'm htinking valve cover gaskets, but this is my first boxer engine so i might be wrong. Any comon leaks?
Old 10-04-2003, 08:14 PM

Re wheel bearing - replace only the noisy one if you can tell which one is bad.

Oil leaks are common. Rocker cover gaskets do develop leaks that can drip on exhaust pipes - but do check the color/smell to make sure it is oil, not ATF.

ATF coolant hoses, power steering hoses (return line) can also leak - tightening clamps is a short term solution.