Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2002, 09:47 PM
aubrey taylor

New member needs help with transmission problem for a 1996 RHD SVX

What a great site, didn’t know something like this existed even though I’ve owned 2 SVX’s since 1992 (not many of us in the UK from what I’ve seen and read).

Anyway apologies for what is a long “post” for help but I came across your site whilst searching for problems with the transmission on my 1996 RHD SVX (35K miles) after my local Subaru dealer couldn’t tell me what the 16 power light flashes meant.

Of course I found the decode procedure documentation on your site without too much difficulty and came up with the infamous code 24 Duty Solenoid C problem, which kind of explained away why I’ve been getting 15mpg fuel consumption along something you call “binding” only after having to replace 2 rear tyres.

The fault seems to be intermittent as I’ll get the code 24 power light flashes most days then all of a sudden it’ll be ok for a day, so I’m hoping that you guys are going to tell me that it’s not too serious and easily fixed without costing me too much money.

As I don’t have much faith in my local Subaru dealer, especially as they told me that they don’t have many (or should that be any) repair manuals for the SVX, I asked a friend who owned a Mazda dealership if he new anybody reliable who could help out because my expertise is I.T. and not Subaru engines etc.

As luck would have it one of his mates is a Ford UK transmission trouble-shooter and fancies having a crack at the problem because he likes challenges.

The only problem is that he tells me that he needs some documentation such as wiring diagrams, technical bulletins or any other useful repair documentation to help him to fix the problem.

My Subaru dealer tells me that a full set of SVX “paper” repair manuals costs over £1000 in the UK so I’m hoping that one of you guys maybe has access to a “CD” version of the repair manuals (if it exists for the SVX) which I could get access or download.

Hoping that one of you guys can provide some help for when I next log on, regards.

Aubrey.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:36 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Aubrey,
First of all, let me welcome you to the Network. Be sure to stop in and chat in the "European Forum" where most of the UK members hang out. A great bunch of guys, and very Savvy on the RHD SVX.

I know that Jamsvx from Oz, has a full set of service manuals for the RHD SVX and will probably be happy to help in any way he can. The manuals are not available on CD.

Duty Solenoid C (if it's like the LHD US models) is the worst of the three to go out, since it resides in the rear differential portion of the car. Of course, I was getting a similar code, and was also getting the binding (actually locking into full AWD), and found that all I needed was a new Transmission Control Unit. The giveaway was the fact that when I put the FWD fuse in place, the FWD light would not remain lit (do you have the FWD fuse in the UK?). If you're suffering all of these same symptons. Luckily, one of our fine members let me borrow his spare TCU to make sure that was my problem, before I actually bought a used one.

Best of luck and cheerio!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-11-2002, 01:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi Aubrey.

Welcome also! I received an email from another fellow in your neck of the woods only the other day seeking info about the manuals for the RHD SVX.

It took us 5 weeks to get them ex-Japan so I am not sure how long it would take to get them to the UK.

A possible option would be to try and order the manuals in through Subaru UK - the part numbers are listed on the invoice here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Jamsvx/3259.jpg

And a 1000 pounds!!! What the????. Tell ya what, I'll sell you mine for 800 pound (makes a killling, puts money way for 4EAT fund!) *joking*

Its about $130AU for the entire 1992 set and I bought the 1992-97 set (since I did not have an SVX at the time and was not sure which year I would end up with!!) and it cost me $220AU.....I think that is some stupidly low price in pounds!!!

Anyways, drop me a PM or email if I can help

Regards

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

96 with 35k

Are you still under warranty by chance? If so find another dealer and have them fix it. Could be the TCU but my 95 had the same problem a while back. It was the Sol. C. Cost about $800 including a trany mount american.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:58 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: New member needs help with transmission problem for a 1996 RHD SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by aubrey taylor

Of course I found the decode procedure documentation on your site without too much difficulty and came up with the infamous code 24 Duty Solenoid C problem, which kind of explained away why I’ve been getting 15mpg fuel consumption along something you call “binding” only after having to replace 2 rear tyres.

Take a measuring tape out, jack it up and measure the circumference of the front and the "New" rear tires, if they aren't the same, there is your problem, you really need to replace all 4 tires on an All Wheel Drive car not just 2, as a slight difference in circumference will cause the binding, and will wear out the rear clutch pack, generate debris and excess heat and destroy the tranny.
4 tires are way cheaper than a new tranny
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-12-2002, 07:38 PM
aubrey taylor

Thanks for the welcome to the network guys plus the excellent advise and suggestions.

Amazed to see so many members across the world who are as enthusiastic about the SVX as I am, only model of car I’ve ever owned where pedestrians and other car drivers turn their heads to see what’s just cruised past them.

Even had an Impreza driver follow me into a car park once just to ask me where he could buy a new SVX to replace his Impreza, had to disappoint him though when I told that Subaru had stopped making the SVX (real shame that!).

Anyway looks like Randy may have the answer to my AWD problem as I tried his suggestion re the Diff Lock (FWD) fuse (as it’s known by in the UK) and no warning light showed on the dashboard panel, come to think of it I could have sworn that I remember seeing the Diff Lock light up when I’ve switched the ignition on in the past before starting the engine but it doesn’t show now.

Huck’s suggestion re the heat problem was quite interesting and a bit worrying as I’ve noticed a lot of heat coming from underneath the car after I’ve stopped and opened the door, in fact sometimes I think I’ve felt some heat against my legs whilst driving, hope that’s not a sign of worst things to come, I’ve not had any temp warning light come on, what do you think?

The thought of having to change 4 tyres at £150 per tyre kind of makes my credit card go all weak and limp but I suppose it’s cheaper than a new transmission, anyway I’ve now got 2 brand new Pirelli 6000 225/50R on the front and 2 Michelin SX-GT 225/50R on the rear with about 8K miles on them, although I bet this AWD isn’t doing them a load of good.

So guys I’m hopping it’s the TCU as that’s something I can handle, not into transmission rebuilds like you experts as I get my kicks out of driving the “silver dream machine” as an ex-girlfriend once described the SVX plus of course seeing those envious looks on other car drivers faces.

Cheers,
Aubrey.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Quote:
Originally posted by aubrey taylor
Anyway looks like Randy may have the answer to my AWD problem as I tried his suggestion re the Diff Lock (FWD) fuse (as it’s known by in the UK) and no warning light showed on the dashboard panel, come to think of it I could have sworn that I remember seeing the Diff Lock light up when I’ve switched the ignition on in the past before starting the engine but it doesn’t show now.
RHD SVXs have a different transmission set up to US models. The 'Diff Lock' fuse is NOT the same as the US 'FWD' fuse. Inserting the Diff Lock fuse is NOT recommended for normal driving as it will cause severe binding!

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 10-13-2002, 09:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Two problems

Aubrey

I agree with Huck and Paddles here. Redneck mechanics are very often smart boys!

Having different makes of tyre on the front and back is a recipe for disaster. If you stand them side by side different manufacturers produce tyres to a different height, and so different rolling radius, even if both are 225/50 x 16. Putting on new tyres of the same make is a lot less risky, though not ideal.

Also, Paddles is correct on the fuse. In the US model, inserting this fuse decouples the rear drive, makes the car a 2wd model. In the Japanese/European model, this fuse locks the differentials. Might be useful for muck or snow in emergency rescue situations, otherwise I am not sure why it is there. Don't drive on grippy tarmac with that fuse in place!

You should at least try Huck's advice, clear the memory, and drive with four exact same size tyres. If the Solenoid C code goes away, that's your problem fixed. Get two same size tyres for the back pronto.

Best of luck with it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 PM
The Road Less Traveled

A bit late for me to chime in, but sometimes life has a way of taking over...

If the TCU is reporting an error code, I think it's unlikely caused by different sized tires, but rather electrical. I doubt any one of us have ever seen the TCU light come on after throwing a donut on the car, and I think the donut is significantly smaller.

As for Randy's symptoms and the resultant TCU replacement fix, the FWD light not coming on when the FWD fuse is in may not be the "giveway". A failed Duty Solenoid C can have the same symptoms as well, that is, binding and the FWD light not coming on with fuse in. My symptoms were identical to Randy's, but was resolved by replacing the solenoid. When they removed the solenoid from the extension case, they found one of the two wires had broken off the solenoid. The solenoid C, with power applied, disengages the power transfer to the rear, so with no power or signal, the result is a 50/50 split. Keep in mind though that this may not apply to the RHD models, which have a different tranny than the North American version.

When the Solenoid C failed, I had 15MPG, severe binding on even moderate (say, 90 degree) turns, and since it died in the Canadian winter, it made driving on snow rather tricky, as the tail kept insisting on stepping out of line on any moderate turns with speeds. Here, it's a $100CDN part, gaskets for the exhaust, and 3.5 hours of labour to replace, plus replacement synthetic tranny fluid for me, since I forgot to tell them I was running synthetics, and they dumped out 7 Litres figuring it was dyno oil. Tranny removal is unncecssary, all that is required is removing part of the exhaust and the extension case.

If it helps, I can scan the appropriate procedures from the service manuals for the Solenoid C replacement procedure, although it may or may not help given your non-American tranny.

And whatever you do, if you haven't yet, throw on a tranny cooler.

VK
Old 10-14-2002, 06:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Hi Aub. yours would be the first center diff model, that I have heard to have AWD problems.

The C solenoid on your version works the opposite way to the US model. When the solenoid stops functioning, the clutch does not work, so the binding would have to be caused by either, the TCU sending power to the solenoid when it should not, or the transfer valve is sticking in the applied position.

When you put the "diff lock" fuse in can you feel the transmission bind up more that it is now? if it does then it is most likely an electrical problem. If there is no change then it is most likely the transfer valve sticking.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.