How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Registered SVX
Trans flairs

Recently tore out the stock trans due to high clutch going out.
Put in 4.44 of unknown mileage and condition (had warranty but is up by now). Used SVX TQ and LSD. Basically the swap took longer than I anticipated and I finished right before the warranty expired and didn't want to tear it out since it did drive ok.
Originally I thought it was brake band adjustment. However it will flare when it is mid gear. I tested this by putting gear selector in 1 and had the flare mid gear. When its slipping it still provides forward momentum, so its not like its in neutral. The slip is momentary from barely noticeable to a few seconds. Higher the revs the longer it takes.
When it grabs back up it kind of feels sudden like a shift. Seems to act better when cold. It slips more after its warmed up. Starting on a hill is bad and it will slip and catch a few times. Slips in 1st, 2nd and I think third. Haven't noticed it happen in 4th. If I drive with very little acceleration then you can't notice the issue.
Any idea what the problem might be? Until today I thought it was the band and started doing adjustments, but since I had it slip mid gear that shouldn't be it.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Trans flairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinz View Post
Recently tore out the stock trans due to high clutch going out.
Put in 4.44 of unknown mileage and condition (had warranty but is up by now). Used SVX TQ and LSD. Basically the swap took longer than I anticipated and I finished right before the warranty expired and didn't want to tear it out since it did drive ok.
Originally I thought it was brake band adjustment. However it will flare when it is mid gear. I tested this by putting gear selector in 1 and had the flare mid gear. When its slipping it still provides forward momentum, so its not like its in neutral. The slip is momentary from barely noticeable to a few seconds. Higher the revs the longer it takes.
When it grabs back up it kind of feels sudden like a shift. Seems to act better when cold. It slips more after its warmed up. Starting on a hill is bad and it will slip and catch a few times. Slips in 1st, 2nd and I think third. Haven't noticed it happen in 4th. If I drive with very little acceleration then you can't notice the issue.
Any idea what the problem might be? Until today I thought it was the band and started doing adjustments, but since I had it slip mid gear that shouldn't be it.
I don't know what you mean by "mid gear", but as it slips in 1st, it would be low line pressure. I would check the filter/strainer in the trans pan, for blockage.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I don't know what you mean by "mid gear", but as it slips in 1st, it would be low line pressure. I would check the filter/strainer in the trans pan, for blockage.

Harvey.
By mid gear I mean that it happens while in gear and not during a shift between gears. From a stop I have no issues until about 2000 rpms then I will get the flair. It will then grab back up (quicker with low throttle and longer with more throttle). Also When it shifts into the next gear there is no slipping until about the 2000 rpm range.

After installing I dropped the pan and put a new gasket on. I intended to replace the filter but there wasn't one like the svx filter. Does the 4.44s use a different filter?
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

No the 4.44 Subaru tranny has the same filter as the SVX.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Registered SVX

Well in that case the filter isn't clogged seeing as how there isn't one. I have the filter but no bolts to attach it currently.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well in that case the filter isn't clogged seeing as how there isn't one. I have the filter but no bolts to attach it currently.
The pickup is part of the filter...
Old 05-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I sort of worred. about this one.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM

Registered SVX

I have this strange feeling that the filter might be the issue... I was thinking about it being the pickup and that would explain the low pressures due to lack of fluid. Hopefully I didn't damage anything if that's the case. Good news is I can fix it soon.
The odd thing is that the trans didn't have the filter when pulled. I should have researched it before assuming the 4.44 had the filter somewhere else.

Thanks guys for the help here.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Registered SVX

It just wasn't getting the fluid it wanted cause the filter wasn't in. Seems to be working good now. Had some flairs around the 4k-5k range but I think that was just working out the air. Didn't go for that long of a drive but i think its good.

Appriciate the help guys
Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Registered SVX

And then it died the 29th. Shifted into reverse and it clunked real loud and didn't want to move. Drove forward though (only went like a foot). Started clicking towards where the engine/transmission mate together. Shut it off.
Started it back up a little latter and it was clicking slowly and started to get more rapid. I didn't shift out of park or play with the throttle and shut it off as the clicking got more rapid.
Car has been sitting since, because I have been out of town. Tomorrow I will be back in town.
Any ideas on what the problem might be? I'm fully aware that I could of just wrecked this trans with the whole filter thing. Lessons learned I guess.
Still have no aspirations to sell, but now it is an extra car and much lower on priority for big expenditures.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
And then it died the 29th. Shifted into reverse and it clunked real loud and didn't want to move. Drove forward though (only went like a foot). Started clicking towards where the engine/transmission mate together. Shut it off.
Started it back up a little latter and it was clicking slowly and started to get more rapid. I didn't shift out of park or play with the throttle and shut it off as the clicking got more rapid.
Car has been sitting since, because I have been out of town. Tomorrow I will be back in town.
Any ideas on what the problem might be? I'm fully aware that I could of just wrecked this trans with the whole filter thing. Lessons learned I guess.
Still have no aspirations to sell, but now it is an extra car and much lower on priority for big expenditures.
It sounds like either the dront diff broke or an axle is not fully engaged.
With the engine off, drain the front diff and look for gears in the oil and inside the bottom of the front differential housing.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Registered SVX

Little update. Did some more poking around. I'm getting some metal scraping in the bellhousing area. I can see it from the little window area where I put the bolts in to connect the TC and flex plate. Not sure what's causing it yet. Maybe a bolt backed out (wouldn't really explain the nasty clunk when shifting into reverse) or when it clunked it threw something out of wack in there.
Did drive it around a little and didn't seem to have any issues with that other than the scraping/ticking noise. The car is at work so I haven't really done much of anything to it.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Registered SVX

Now the SVX is my daily driver again. The scraping noise was just a TQ/flex plate bolt that backed out.
Car will not move in reverse. Won't roll down hill or move under power while in reverse. It will engage the gear and try to move (engine does not rev freely like in neutral) but won't go anywhere.
First gear is kind of doing the same thing but will move under full throttle (gear selector on 1). I have been driving with the Manuel button in cause of this but it doesn't really seem to act any different than not having Manuel button in.
When driving it seems to just skip over first gear, so its real sluggish to get going. Its like that up to about 2800rpm or about 30mph then suddenly it pulls like it should.

Good news is that it works and hasn't actually completely crapped out on me. I just thought it had and errored on the side of caution to not cause more damage.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:16 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

A daily driver with no reverse sounds like a pain but at least it's driving.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Why dont you just go to the pick and pull and get another 4.44? i think it is time to fix the damn thing
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007