Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: East Coast-based 24 Hours of LeMONS/CHUMPCAR World Series SVX Race Team??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
The adaptor has to be welded to the steering shaft.

I do not remember what the adaptors cost, but does'nt the car have to be valued at a VERY cheap price when compleated?
"Safety" equipment is not included in the $500 limit. This covers brake upgrades, tires, rollcage, etc etc. If you read the fine print in the rules, you find that you can easily spend a lot of money on one of these cars and still be perfectly fine.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
YES!

will this be done before or after the headers?

B
The Slap Stick will take about two hours.
Custom made headers, built to specific lengths, can take say, 40-100 hours?!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
"Safety" equipment is not included in the $500 limit. This covers brake upgrades, tires, rollcage, etc etc. If you read the fine print in the rules, you find that you can easily spend a lot of money on one of these cars and still be perfectly fine.
Bingo... wuth the cages the removable wheel will make for a more speedy exit... when the car lights on fire... i dont want a steering wheel keeping me in it

Tom
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Bingo... wuth the cages the removable wheel will make for a more speedy exit... when the car lights on fire... i dont want a steering wheel keeping me in it

Tom
But that's what the on-board Halon fire suppression system is for!

(crap, there I go again....)

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Just let me know what you need and I'll do my best to help out.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

Tom

I think I would rather have it not catch on fire at all.
Let's make that a real high priority... please!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Just let me know what you need and I'll do my best to help out.
Ben!

Thanks for the offer. Still have your F250 truck?

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Ben!

Thanks for the offer. Still have your F250 truck?

Bill
he sold that awhile back so he could afford Jag parts

hey I'd be willing to lend a hand if I am available.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

While talking with Bill about the project He explained to me that in an autocross in an SVX with a stock ratio automatic transmission, first and second gear are USUALLY all that are used/needed.

He believes that having the transmission shift instantly shift from first to second, or from second to first instantly would be an advantage.

I tried the second to first shift with, and without the Manual button depressed,
and on my modified 4.44 (chip & valve body)
the shift into first was delayed.

Can someone with a stock good transmssion try this at your own risk?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I just saw this. Been out of the loop. Last time I was on the track was May 2011, my Watkins Glen 3-1/2 glorious track sessions and a spun bearing. I could really get interested in this. Got the helmet. Got the racing suit, shoes, gloves, and fireproof underwear, along with a little bit of experience at driving in anger. Keep me posted on how this progresses.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Is the SVreX still an automatic?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Registered SVX

I'd love to drive if you need a driver. I've never road raced, but I have gotten second in a very competitive class for autocross the past two years so I at least have good car control. PM me if you'd like to have me with details about what would be required of me. Either way, good luck!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
While talking with Bill about the project He explained to me that in an autocross in an SVX with a stock ratio automatic transmission, first and second gear are USUALLY all that are used/needed.

He believes that having the transmission shift instantly shift from first to second, or from second to first instantly would be an advantage.

I tried the second to first shift with, and without the Manual button depressed,
and on my modified 4.44 (chip & valve body)
the shift into first was delayed.

Can someone with a stock good transmssion try this at your own risk?
This is always the case. It will not go into first until you get back on the throttle harder I've noticed.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I think that everyone involved should understand that while it may be a chump car challenge, it won't be chump change. Even if the car is only worth $500, the logistics of getting to the venue and staying for the weekend will be expensive. Just the gas to race for 24 hours will cost over $1000. Probably use up the front rotors and one or two sets of front pads. The tires will be good for one or two races, assuming you go the entire 24 hours. Remember we are talking about almost 2000 miles at speed.

In order to give the best chance of lasting the 24 hours, the vulnerable bits of the car should be new and the most durable available. These bits include belts, hoses and lines, especially that little coolant line under the intake manifold that split and fried my engine a few years ago.

In any event, if this goes and I'm invited, I can bankroll my share.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I would like to mirror what Dan stated.

A common number that I have heard from several people that have run this in the past is $1,000/driver.

Of course there are many factors involved; car, personal racing gear, consumables, lodging, number of drivers...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: